What Beer are you Drinking Spring 2010

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight I will drink a narragansett and toast them because I found out its in the works for their Beers to be coming To Pa in the next few months.

I have been drinking Narragansett since it came back in 2005 but had to depend on friends going up to CT or Mass to get me some. Last spring I had their Bock it was a really full flavored Bock and I am hoping this year to get some of their Porter if I can. I personally think it is one of the best tasting regular beers around.

Has anyone else Had a gansett since it came back in 2005? I talked to someone in their office and gave them some big distributers in Pa names to help get it here!

Dave Z

Have A Gansett

Haven't had a Narragansett in a decade or so but will look out for it on my trip East this summer. We'll be doing the usual trip to NYC and Cambridge, Mass. to see friends and relatives and I always load up the trunk with hard-to-find beers to bring back home to Chicago. I won't have to take cases of Harpoon IPA back this time around because it showed up on our shelves here last summer to my great surprise. It's still not widely available but I know where to find it when I want it. Ballantine, of course, always makes to return journey. But where's the Rheingold and Schaefer when you need it?

Anyone wanting to check out Narragansett beer here is their web site

www.narragansettbeer.com

They are planing to build a brand new brewery back in RI like the Old days very soon!

It is my favorite sipping beer when I just want good old school regular beer--------------------------------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

Dave Z

Scurvy IPA from the Tyranena Brewing Company. Some of you may have had their Bitter Woman IPA or Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter Aged in Rye Barrels (whew) at the sampler a few years ago.

They are now shipping to Indiana from Wisconsin, so I was able to buy their beer in Clarksville.

Scurvy was previously one of their one-off "Brewer Gone Wild" beers but is now a seasonal regular. It's a hoppy IPA, like their Bitter Woman, brewed with orange peel.

It's not made with juice, and it's not sweet at all. It's got a nice bitter orange taste under the hop bitterness, rising closer during the long finish. It's very subtle, which I like.

Just came back from the release party for Big Ballard IPA from Redhook. Nice big hoppy IPA, very tasty! Won a free T-shirt and enjoyed several beers with a good friend.

Enjoyed a nice Polish pils last night called Kopernik. I've always enjoyed its creaminess and clean, hoppy flavor.

Just came back from the release party for Big Ballard IPA from Redhook. Nice big hoppy IPA, very tasty! Won a free T-shirt and enjoyed several beers with a good friend.

Just back from Dark Lord Day in Munster, IN. Amazing event. 7,000+ people, all toting in coolers of amazing brew, plus 50+ kegs of one off brew, as well as the Dark Lord!

Dark Lord Day sounds like a hoot! :drink:

I myself have just returned from an afternoon perched on a bar stool at The Trinity Brewhouse in Providence, RI. Always a good selection of beers brewed right on the other side of the glass wall opposite the bar. Today's favorite was a Marzen, a particularly hoppy concoction named for the traditional start of the brewing season.

If you find yourself in Providence (you poor devil) let me know and I'll join you for a pint. Or two! :lol:

After grilling some monster ribeye steaks, I popped open a Ommegang Abbey Ale. Great pairing.

After grilling some monster ribeye steaks, I popped open a Ommegang Abbey Ale. Great pairing.

That Ommegang is great stuff. I love the brewery's entire product line.

I tried most of the Abita line while in New Orleans. They were all 'ok', nothing special but drinkable. I like the IPA the best but as far as IPAs go it was pretty tame.

Czech beers last night while watching the Blackhawks beat the Predators: Bakalar, Ferdinand and Krusovice Dark. That was very likely the last remaining bottle of Ferdinand lager in America, by the way, as they stopped exporting it several years ago. Despite the fact that it was nearly four years past its freshness date, the beer was delicious and as good as ever. Too bad it's no longer available here in the US. I always enjoyed Ferdinand and Primator, which is also "extinct" now.

Had a quick taste of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout the other night at WhiskeyFest. That stuff is awesome.

What he said. Hey Chuck some time back you mentioned having had good results from a Heineken mini-keg, something intended for the home fridge. Is that still available in your area and if so, have you persisted with it?

Gary

Here's a story about the Anchor Steam Beer Co selling.

I thought the older beer drinkers like me might find this passing of the torch interesting.

I remember in the late '70's hearing about Anchor and the price.

I thought they were crazy but as it turns out Mr Maytag was a visionary and he more or less kick started the whole micro-beer movement.

Finally in the early '80's I got some Anchor Steam beer. I was taken aback at the color of the head and how you could actually see each individual tiny bubble, also the color of the beer needless to say the taste.

At that point in time "premium" meant Michelob, it's not fair for me to even say the M word in the same breath as Anchor.

Link to story below.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/26/BUOD1D55P1.DTL

Had a quick taste of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout the other night at WhiskeyFest. That stuff is awesome.

Is that something that only releases in kegs locally? We get Goose Island here but I have never seen this version for sale in OH.

Here's a story about the Anchor Steam Beer Co selling.

I thought the older beer drinkers like me might find this passing of the torch interesting.

I remember in the late '70's hearing about Anchor and the price.

I thought they were crazy but as it turns out Mr Maytag was a visionary and he more or less kick started the whole micro-beer movement.

Finally in the early '80's I got some Anchor Steam beer. I was taken aback at the color of the head and how you could actually see each individual tiny bubble, also the color of the beer needless to say the taste.

At that point in time "premium" meant Michelob, it's not fair for me to even say the M word in the same breath as Anchor.

Link to story below.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/26/BUOD1D55P1.DTL

• 2 weeks later...

At my favorite pub, enjoying a lazy afternoon with a glass of New Holland's Imperial Hatter, their IIPA.

I'm not a major hophead, but its quite good. The higher ABV doesn't overwhelm the beer but the IPA character still comes thru. Very tasty.

Is that something that only releases in kegs locally? We get Goose Island here but I have never seen this version for sale in OH.

It was available bottled, though it's an vintage stated release, so limited in production. It was widely available in KY, Louisville anyway, but has all but disappeared...it was rockin' good.

I saw something about the next release, but have forgotten what has changed.

Bells Two Hearted Ale is my favorite, but most recently had Breckenridge small batch IPA. both very good. Also if you ever make it over to Baroda, MI. The Round Barn winery has a brewery (they also make their own vodka now). The oaked IPA they make is fantastic. I have seen their wines for sale in places but not the beer yet.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout with a nice glass of Balvenie DoubleWood on a miserable rainy night.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.