What Beer are you Drinking Spring 2010

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night for dinner the wife and I went to Lefts Lucky Town in the village of Wawautosa. We have a real nice run of weather here as sat out on thier deck for the evening. They had a specail going on PBR Silos for a buck and being the frugal person that I am that is what I had. Pabst is a big name from the past that is surpising good on a hot day when it is very very cold along with a bar burger and fries.

I agree, Gary. When I wrote that I expected more hoppiness, it was that pungent harshness that I was expecting. Rather, it was very balanced and nice. I don't necessarily mind a hit me in the nose hopschmack, but all in all, this is a very nice brew.

So the semi-fresh slightly dried southern hemisphere version is good? I really like the regular Harvest. I have held in my hand several times but not purchased the bottled Chico Estate, because $10 would buy two of the regular with change left over. I have had the Chico Estate on tap.

Oh, what the heck. I'll go buy a bottle of the off-season Australian hop version.

Picked up a six of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA. After Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA this may be my next favorite.

So the semi-fresh slightly dried southern hemisphere version is good? I really like the regular Harvest. I have held in my hand several times but not purchased the bottled Chico Estate, because $10 would buy two of the regular with change left over. I have had the Chico Estate on tap.

Oh, what the heck. I'll go buy a bottle of the off-season Australian hop version.

Yes, I did enjoy it. But, not a big bang of hops, as I was expecting. A pleasant drink, though.

So the semi-fresh slightly dried southern hemisphere version is good?... I'll go buy a bottle of the off-season Australian hop version.

The beer is not "off-season" (depending on what you mean by "off-season" in this case, I guess)- it just came out, since the Southern Hemisphere growers harvests their hops late February-early April. The bottles I bought ($5.79@) 2 weeks ago were bottled on April 23, 2010.

Oh, and those are New Zealand hops, not Australian...;)

Burning hot here in Chicago the last few days. Saturday night was all about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Bell's Oberon. Sunday afternoon we went with Newcastle Summer Ale which is new to our market. Very, very nice beer. As the heat increased throughout the day (it was pushing 95 with high humidity) we needed something light and quenching, so an assortment of Mexican beers hit the picnic table--Pacifico, Tecate, Modelo Especiale and Dos Equis. Great beer weekend!

Bell's Two Hearted ....is my favorite.

So far this summer our frig has had the pleasure of housing:

Bell's varieties (bottles, mini kegs)

He'BREW

Sierra Nevada SummerFest

Currently, the frig is empty of beer :bigeyes: I'm on my way to Kahn's......

For this Memorial Day Weekend I have had New Glarus Spotted Cow, and New Castle Brown Ale at a party I went to yesterday. Today I fired up the Weber and grilled some steaks with Mushrooms and onion. I went into 2 different directions. First up was a Kapuziner Schwarz Weizen Bavarian Black Wheat ale. It was a creamy-roasty beer with a little ripe banana sweetness. This beer has a nice frothy tan head and it looks like a stout. Very nice beer. I will be buying some more in the future. With dinner I switched over to a New Belgium Ranger IPA. This is another tasty beer and would be perfect with some chicken curry. Is it just me or do IPA's just go perfectly with Char grilled food. It has a real nice Hoppy taste that I have grown to love. I am also very pleased with all of the the offerings I have had from this brewer. Nice citrus notes with a lace that clings to the glass with each sip. yummy stuff.

Thanks to those that have served our military; especially those the gave it all, We salute you!

The beer is not "off-season" (depending on what you mean by "off-season" in this case, I guess)- it just came out, since the Southern Hemisphere growers harvests their hops late February-early April. The bottles I bought ($5.79@) 2 weeks ago were bottled on April 23, 2010.

Oh, and those are New Zealand hops, not Australian...;)

It's off-season for North America, and they did it so they could sell a Harvest Ale in the spring. The hops aren't fresh, as we usually consider them. It seems more of a marketing thing than the other beers.

Enjoying a Stone Ruination IPA after a real crappy day at work. Ahhhhhhh...that's better.

I just picked up a couple of bottles of Dogfish Head Squall IPA. Unfiltered 90 minute IPA that comes in 750ml bottles. 9% a.b.v. so it is pretty strong stuff (for beer). Great hops aroma and finish. If you like your beer hoppy this is good stuff.

Howdy All:

I hope you are well.

Now that the warmer weather is here my choice is Bell's Oberon, if you get the chance it is a great summer beer.bells-oberon.jpg

Now that the warmer weather is here my choice is Bell's Oberon, if you get the chance it is a great summer beer.

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I hope it is better than last years.

They watered it down, it seems that the boys over in K-Zoo are going after the mainstream market, ya know, less taste more sales.

It was real good when it was Solsun.

I hope it is better than last years.

They watered it down, it seems that the boys over in K-Zoo are going after the mainstream market, ya know, less taste more sales.

It was real good when it was Solsun.

I haven't had it in a few years, so I'm not sure.

I remember meeting Larry Bell about twenty years ago, when they were just starting to export to other states and he was making the rounds. It was still the Kalamazoo Brewing Company back then.

On the other hand, the two beers of his I like the most, Two-Hearted and Hopslam, weren't made back then, so maybe I like the company better now.

It's hot & muggy here in Dixie, and I'm thoroughly enjoying my favorite German Weissbier---Weihenstephaner. I love the clove hints in this. :yum:

i was just down in asheville and drank myself silly at all their microbreweries. i also went ahead and made a statewide tasting for myself by drinking all the states other microbrews. i think i have to detox for a week or so.

i did make sure to bring home some Sweetwater 420. a great pale ale thats not distributed this far north.

The 420 seems to be the best-selling local beer; every place I've been with local beers has it on tap. I suspect that's got as much to do with the name as with the beer.

And it's a toned-down pale ale, not that there's anything wrong with that. For some reason I don't understand a lot of people don't like aggressively hopped beers.

I had a good few pints of Adnams Broadside over the weekend, But I doubt it makes its way over to your shores!

I had a good few pints of Adnams Broadside over the weekend, But I doubt it makes its way over to your shores!

There was a time a few years ago that I could find Adnams Broadside and Adnams Suffolk Strong Ale (now known as The Bitter) at a few specialty shops, but sadly they both disappeared. Same goes for the entire line of Shepherd Neame products which I used to really enjoy. On the up side, Bateman's XXX Bitter and Nethergate's Old Growler have finally made it here, though with limited availability, so I've been stocking up on both before they disappear too. Now all I need is a packet of Twiglets and I'm all set!:grin:

There was a time a few years ago that I could find Adnams Broadside and Adnams Suffolk Strong Ale (now known as The Bitter) at a few specialty shops, but sadly they both disappeared.

That does surprise me! :bigeyes: But as for the twiglets, you can keep them thanks, i'll stick to pork scratchings! :slappin:

Anyone tried Trailhead lager? It is an Ontario craft beer in the European style. Quite nice and refreshing.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my 2 sons home for dinned and drinks yesterday and we did start with a fantastic beer tasting. First we had brewdog paradox smokehead witch is a 10% stout matured in an Islay barrel, then brewdog Tokyo an 18,3% stout matured in a bourbon barrel, then Mikkeller black 17,5% an stout that I have had in my basement for 2 years and finally Samuel Adams utopia. Although paradox is a very good beer it came out short in this company were all the others were amazing. Fanny thing was also that the Mikkeller did taste much better now than it did 2 years go. My boys ere overwhelmed of the powerful flavours and the oldest (23) one clamed that it was enough with a couple of drops utopia on the tongue.

Leif

Ah yes, Utopias .. a great beer. There are a few beers out there that have a higher ABV than Utopias, but what is interesting about Utopias is that it's the only beer at the level that reaches it's extremely high ABV by yeast that they are able to keep active at the level. Other brewers, BrewDog for example, freeze distillate to concentrate their alcohol. So, kudos to Sam Adams.

I'm currently working on a Bells Two Hearted Ale. A favorite of mine, a bit underwhelming this time around. I thought it just wasn't as fresh as I preferred, so I checked the packaging code and it's only a month old. Oh well.

Bigfoot 2009 wile grilling outdoors yesterday and Brooklyn black chocolate stout with the soft chocolate cake for dessert. I really look forward for August 1when the government store relies the 2010 bigfoot. I save 1 2009 for the traditional side by side with new and former vintage.

Leif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.