Your $25 range best bet

New2Whiskey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been reviewing some of the posts. In summary, I haven't purchased or had bourbon in a while due to financial constraints. I had Jim Beam Black last Saturday and quite frankly was disappointed. I recall how much I LOVED Buffalo Trace.

I live in CHicago. From the posts I gather:

Buffalo Trace

Wellers

Jim Beam Black

Bulleit

I had Eagle Rare Binnys hand picked about 2 years ago and it really didn't do BT justice. I had them side by side multiple times and BT won.

Please...I appreciate comments and opinions.

Hey new guy!

I'm also a Chicago whiskey drinker. hope to see you at one of our occassional gatherings.

I'd recommend Elijah Craig in the $25 a bottle range. Least expensive 12 year old out there, Weller 12 is a bit more but also very good and I'd HIGHLY recommend Binny's Weller 12 bottling if you can still find any....heck, I like it so much, I may have to get some more.

Welcome New2Whiskey! Here in New Jersey, the only Weller I sometimes see is the Old Weller Antique 107, which I have enjoyed, but have not had recently (since they dropped the age statement). I wish I could try the Special Reserve or the 12yo.

At this price range my pick is Wild Turkey 101 (avoid the 80 proof, it's just not worth it). Also WT Rye 101 is well worth a taste, if you have any inclination towards rye whiskeys.

Makers's Mark is probably also in that range, if you haven't tried it yet. Many here would say Weller is a better wheated bourbon at the price. Knob Creek might be on sale near that price, but it's usually over $30 around me.

-Matt

edit: Almost forgot: Evan Williams Single Barrel - yes there is variation from barrel to barrel and more from year to year, so you may want to read up before you pick one up. I've never had a bad bottle of this one. Craig and Parker Beam do an impressive job at selecting these barrels.

All good suggestions from the others, but I'd go to Binny's in the South Loop and pick up two bottles of Very Old Barton for $12 each. Great whiskey at an even greater price, and on par with most of the others previously mentioned.

Hate to be a curmudgeon but in my whiskey world and I bet others here, the concept of best hardly ever applies. In this price range I've got many bests and whatever I'm going with that night is my best bet. But....in the spirit of cooperation and considering your preference for BT I'll begrudgingly narrow down a recommendation to Old Forester Signature.

OGD 114............that is all.

I second that timothy. Dickel 12 or a good bottle of EC 12 would be the closest.

Leif

Ryed - Old Forester Signature/Old Grand Dad 114

Wheater - Old Weller Antique 107

Rye - Sazerac Rye

OFS is my go to bourbon. I like it more than AAA10, VOB BIB, WT101, and BT. OGD 114 is on par with OFS, probably better, but not quite as versatile. I have personally stayed away from Elijah Craig 12 due to people still reporting a metallic taste in some bottles.

To me there definitely isn't a better wheater for under $25 than OWA. I like it more than the Special Reserve. Weller 12 isn't widely available here, and when it is it is usually closer to $30. I don't think Maker's comes close.

I haven't had any other cheap ryes besides Sazerac. It is right at $25 around here and its good.

In my short time on the site, the one thing I can tell you is that YMMV, everyone has different tastes, you have to explore a little bit and find out what you like.

Wild Turkey 101 for a rye bourbon and OWA 107 for a wheater.

I believe this is the best answer to the question. Sorry everyone else who put in their 2 cents. Thanks for your input and have a nice day!

Can anyone get a WLWeller Special Reserve 1.75ml for 25 bucks?

Maybe on sale in KY?

Can anyone get a WLWeller Special Reserve 1.75ml for 25 bucks?

Maybe on sale in KY?

Call me crazy, but here in Louisville I don't see many sales on bourbon. If there is a sale, it is usually a smaller store marking the price down to what it normally is at Liquor Barn.

I think I had a local place that was close to $25 a handle for the Weller SR.

I know the liters were about $16 or $17 before we had a tax increase.

They do carry some $11 handles of some generic 80 proof BT juice

For $25 I'd go with Wathen's. I find it to be a good value at that price point. I'd follow that with WT101 for under $20. For rye I'd go with Sazerac and then WT101Rye.

OGD114...must try if it's in this budget range!

EC12 has been very good in my experience but feedback is mixed on this one. BT is a solid pick if sometimes a little one dimensional.

Personally I go with the Four Roses Bourbon Small Batch, its right in that price. Also, the Old Weller Antique 107, and I have a bottle of the Pure Kentucky XO that I got for right around that price, all good in my opinion

Personally I go with the Four Roses Bourbon Small Batch, its right in that price. Also, the Old Weller Antique 107, and I have a bottle of the Pure Kentucky XO that I got for right around that price, all good in my opinion

Can't go wrong with any of the previously mentioned. Obviously there isn't a best but a range of worthy juice. A couple that got overlooked;

Some old stock ETL is still hanging around on some shelves for $26.

Fighting Cock is more entertaining than WT101 for me most nights $17.

Evan Williams 1783 is a bargain too.

I would go with the OWA, which I think used to be great, but the newer batches good, but not as. Also, here in California at least you can get Maker's 1.75 ltr for 34 bucks at Costco. Makes that my daily pour. Finally, I think that Old Grandad's (I am new to the forum so do not know particular shorthand for this, I assume OG) which is my "Best Buy" for under $10 on sale. I think OG is pretty good for mixing, or drinking with soda.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.