Your $25 range best bet

New2Whiskey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think that Old Grandad's (I am new to the forum so do not know particular shorthand for this, I assume OG)

OGD. Acronyms can be found here.

When you reach 25 posts, we'll show you the Secret Handshake.

A thread like this comes up a couple of times per year, ("Best budget pour" type) and each time I really enjoy reading them. Because, since there are so many new members constantly entering the site, it's good to hear new perspectives and opinions. But, what it also does, is enforce to me just how many awesome bourbons there are out there that don't cost a lot of money. Any of us can buy dozens of extremely fine bottlings, be able to mix up the rotation, and hardly sweat the cost! Probably like many of others, I sometimes find myself searching for, and dropping big bucks on the newest BTAC, FRBS, Parker's, etc. Very good to be sure. But, if I had to, I'd be perfectly fine with Old Forester Signature, OWA, OGD 114, EW Black, EC12, 4R Yellow, Fighting Cock, Ezra Brooks 90, Old Ezra 7, and so on, and so on, and so on...

A thread like this comes up a couple of times per year, ("Best budget pour" type) and each time I really enjoy reading them. Because, since there are so many new members constantly entering the site, it's good to hear new perspectives and opinions. But, what it also does, is enforce to me just how many awesome bourbons there are out there that don't cost a lot of money. Any of us can buy dozens of extremely fine bottlings, be able to mix up the rotation, and hardly sweat the cost! Probably like many of others, I sometimes find myself searching for, and dropping big bucks on the newest BTAC, FRBS, Parker's, etc. Very good to be sure. But, if I had to, I'd be perfectly fine with Old Forester Signature, OWA, OGD 114, EW Black, EC12, 4R Yellow, Fighting Cock, Ezra Brooks 90, Old Ezra 7, and so on, and so on, and so on...

No such thing as "best," but I'm always pleased with Johnny Drum Private Stock, WT 101, BT, and Pure Kentucky.

I agree with Smoking Joe -- these threads are always fascinating. While I agree with the usual suspects of WT101, BT, OGD 114 & OWA, I would add some "lesser knowns" or "overlooked" baragins. I love AAA 10yr, WT Rye 101 & Dickel #12 . . . I believe all of those to be great value for the money, although, for me, at least, not necessarily easy to obtain . . . still I think these are premium whiskeys in bargain clothing.

Not to rub it in, but my father-in-law also gets me WT101 8yr at the Duty Free shop at the border crossing near his house for $20 a liter, which is tough to beat.

Without a doubt, WT 101, followed by OWA, and OGD BIB or 114. These are the benchmarks for Bourbon. The 2x4's if you will....

Interesting thread. I like most bourbons I've tried. At $25 or less around here, my preferences are EC 12, Dickel #12, OWA, and MM.

Bulleit which is $23 in Ohio is the most interesting for me in the 20 to 25 range.

BT and Weller SR are also good in the under $25 (in Ohio) for easy drinkability (if anyone is counting votes). EC12 is a love-it or hate-it choice around SB from what I've seen so far (I'm new here), but I like it on occasion. I need to pick up another bottle to be sure.

I'm sure my choices would be wider in Kentucky.

BT, WT 101, Elijah Craig 12, George Dickel (technically not bourbon). I also like Jim Beam Black, but I wish it was higher proof.

I see a few votes for Bulleit. I just can't seem to find any redeeming quality for this bourbon. It seems light and kind of bland to me. Oh well... different strokes, as they say.:grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.