BTAC Price Hike

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As of Aug. 1, 2010, the minimum price of all members of the BTAC in the state of Michigan will be $70.97 per bottle, a $4.99 increase.

I'm curious as to whether this is just a Michigan phenomenon or an across the board price hike. Anybody else hear/see of this?

Wow, that's brutal.

I'm just wondering at what point they price themselves out of the market.

In Indy last year, they were already $72-$75 a bottle. I hope there is not another increase for this year !!!:hot:

In Indy last year, they were already $72-$75 a bottle. I hope there is not another increase for this year !!!:hot:

There were places around here selling Stagg and WLW for $89 last time around.

Wow, that's brutal.

I'm just wondering at what point they price themselves out of the market.

If it's that much in PA, they lost me.

Joe :usflag:

They've (whether "they" are the state of Michigan, BT or NWS or whoever) priced me outta buying Handy, ER 17, and Saz 18. And, unless Stagg and WLW get nearly universally stellar reviews, I'm not getting them either. Not that I was getting cases of them, but I do enjoy them most years.

Gents, consider yourself lucky. The '09 versions were on the shelf here in SoCal for $89 before tax. I even saw some at $99.

I did not buy them at that price. It's the only year that I did not, but at that price I don't see the value.

Hey, nobody likes paying more for anything, but mid-$70's and up is definitely competitive with all the other "special releases" out there from the other distillers (4R Mariage & Anniversary Barrel Proof, HH Parker's, WT AS/Tradition, Jefferson's, etc.). I think that's all we can ask, and probably what all of the distillers are looking for.

I really don't care cuz I usually pay a whale of a lot more anyway cuz I'll be buying mine off eBay for two reasons.

1. I live in MI.

2. Kris Comstack and the other fine folks at BT hates for them to be sold via eBay.

To quote Mr. Comstack referring to BTAC sales on eBay from the Summer 2010 issue of Malt Advocate,"...I get so pissed off when I see that kind of thing going up on eBay."

I'm only going to get two Larues and one Stagg and I like the way eBay is up front and honest with what they action off.

If BT doesn't want to see every bottle of their special releases get bunkered up or spirited off to Ebay within a few days of release they can either increase production or raise prices. It seems to me that either way could be more profitable for them and less profitable for Ebay jackals.

I wish they would increase production. There's the danger of losing the cachet of a limited product, but vastly increasing production hasn't hurt Stagg so far.

Saz 18 and perhaps ER17 have very limited stocks available, but Handy and Weller are just a small, unadulterated proportion of juices that currently fill year 'round labels. And, I have a feeling BT can find as much Stagg as they want in some corner...somewhere... :searching:

Here's to BT selling us raw whiskey all year 'round!

Roger

To quote Mr. Comstack referring to BTAC sales on eBay from the Summer 2010 issue of Malt Advocate,"...I get so pissed off when I see that kind of thing going up on eBay."

Because it is not them making that profit.

If BT doesn't want to see every bottle of their special releases get bunkered up or spirited off to Ebay within a few days of release they can either increase production or raise prices. It seems to me that either way could be more profitable for them and less profitable for Ebay jackals.

And it looks like they are definitely going to continue with the "raising prices" theme of your approach.

I know it is all our dream and an unending wish but It sure would be nice to see something new introduced! Maybe Old Tom Moore or something....

It sure would be nice to see something new introduced! Maybe Old Tom Moore

I like the way you think, a Tom Moore Single Barrel Cask Proof would find it's way in my house.

Any guess as to how much that would cost on the shelves? Let's say $80.

Limited release, limited production. It gets snapped up in the limited markets by the bunker hungry denizens of this and other boards.

I am certain that it is on ebay...within weeks.

...And it looks like they are definitely going to continue with the "raising prices" theme of your approach....

Oh no, that wasn't my approach! I'm for a year round barrel proof lineup.

I'm with you on Barton treasures. I am very interested in how BT releases the Tom Moore rye juice that is no longer going into other's products.

Roger

I am certain that it is on ebay...within weeks.

Hopefully so, I like eBay better than the distiller-to-wholesaler-to-retailer system that we have now, because here in MI we miss out on all the good stuff.

Hey, nobody likes paying more for anything, but mid-$70's and up is definitely competitive with all the other "special releases" out there from the other distillers (4R Mariage & Anniversary Barrel Proof, HH Parker's, WT AS/Tradition, Jefferson's, etc.). I think that's all we can ask, and probably what all of the distillers are looking for.

True, but most of those are still readily available out there on the market.

It also seems like people are finding a lot of ER17 on sale from time to time on these boards. I would prefer a year round releases myself and I'm not sure how much higher I'm willing to go on these.

I'm a WLW fan with Stagg and Handy to a lesser extent. I just don't buy ER17 or Saz18. If we get much higher I'll probably only buy multiples of WLW if I can find it and maybe 1 ea of the Stagg and Handy.

I want good juice to drink, not dust collectors that I'm thinking about how much each 2oz pour just cost me instead of how much I enjoy the juice.

If it's that much in PA, they lost me.

Joe :usflag:

The PA LCB online catalog still has Stagg, Saz18, and Handy at $55.99 but I'd be more surprised if they didn't raise the price at least a few bucks when this year's batch is released. What concerns me is the absence of ER17 and WLW from the catalog.

This catalog is allegedly updated daily, so we'll have to monitor frequently.

I want good juice to drink, not dust collectors that I'm thinking about how much each 2oz pour just cost me instead of how much I enjoy the juice.

hear hear!

Back to my original question, though, anybody know from whence this price increase cometh?

P.S. Count me among those who would LOVE to see a new Barton or 1792 expression, barrel proof, double-digit aged or both!

They've invested in this product, built it up for years, established unquenchable demand for it and now they're cashing in.

Is this your first visit to America?

One of the nice things about Buffalo Trace is that with 25+ brands of American whiskey, you can always find something good from them in every price range.

But that's the thing, it's not unquenchable across the BTAC product line.

Americans are familiar with golden geese being killed or at least throttled. In terms of the current economic environment and the price increases relative to inflation, I'm betting on the latter but that will probably just open up the export market.

Now excuse me, I have to go write a few more emails to BT and their Ohio distributors to beg for some more product.

$75 for some of the most premier whiskey in the world is a bargain, IMO. Plus, as I said earlier, it's not out of line with other Special Releases from other distilleries. I understand that everyone has their own limits on what they will pay. I'm sure BT understands that, as well. But, so far the demand has been unquenchable, and as long as that is occuring we have to expect them to increase the price. Some people finding a bottle (or bottles) on a shelf in St. Joe MO, or BFE, or even Binny's, doesn't constitute that the party is over for the BTAC. It just means that a few bottles were poorly distributed. And, that mistake is usually rectified by the SB.Com Re-distribution Program. :)

I fully expect the BTAC to roar past $100 soon. At least, the Stagg. And, at that price, it will still sell wildly.

$75 for some of the most premier whiskey in the world is a bargain, IMO. Plus, as I said earlier, it's not out of line with other Special Releases from other distilleries. I understand that everyone has their own limits on what they will pay. I'm sure BT understands that, as well. But, so far the demand has been unquenchable, and as long as that is occuring we have to expect them to increase the price. Some people finding a bottle (or bottles) on a shelf in St. Joe MO, or BFE, or even Binny's, doesn't constitute that the party is over for the BTAC. It just means that a few bottles were poorly distributed. And, that mistake is usually rectified by the SB.Com Re-distribution Program. :)

I fully expect the BTAC to roar past $100 soon. At least, the Stagg. And, at that price, it will still sell wildly.

You have excellent points as always, Joe. Regarding bottles on shelves around here, the Stagg, WLW and Saz 18 seem to fly off the shelf, but they can't give away ER 17.

It comes down to what price the market can bear. The part of the market that lives in my house will not bear to pay more than $70 for any member of the BTAC unless it is really exceptional. One of the things I like about is SB is that there is a public forum to complain about stuff like this in addition to expressing my opinion with my wallet.:cool:

Years after distribution I can easily find ER17 and Saz18. That's hardly unquenchable. The ER17 that people find in BFE tends to be discounted and I can buy discounted bottles of that right now on the internet. Thats prices going down on that particular product so retailers can clear shelf space.

I have seen Stagg on shelves for premium prices a year plus after release. The point is there is a top end to these prices and eventually you run out of fanboys.

I addressed the distro problem by stating they would eventually ship more product overseas when that magical level, $100 or $120 is reached and domestic purchases slow down. All products have their limitations and this one is no exception.

It's great when producers make quality products for us to consume but most consumers do make purchases irregardless of price or admiration for the distiller. Loyalty has it's limits.

I think we're in near total agreement! :D No doubt, it will tap out at some point. I just don't think $75 is that number. Nor, do I think it should be, competitively speaking. And, I'll be honest with you, I'm not rushing out to pick up every BTAC I can find at $75 like I did when it was $35, $45, $55, etc. But, to me, $75 is a bargain for all of them, including the red-headed step child ER17.

We should remember, that if the distillers can not make a healthy profit on their premium products, they'll have no incentive to continue making them. And, I don't think any of us want it to get to that. So, think of the greater good and open them wallets!!!!:D

So the real question Joe is when do the goods ship this season?

I'm ready to grab a few and try out the 2010's!

I don't like the prices going up any more than anyone else but I think Joe is right on this one. The market will bear a lot more and they know it. As for the ER 17 if they would raise the proof to say 101 on that I think it would sell better. I like the Saz 18 better than the Handy but I'm weird.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.