BTAC Price Hike

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sure wish I'd taken a picture of the '06 Stagg with a sticker price of $199.99. The bottle sat on the shelf for 2-3 years but I think it's gone now. Young guy behind the counter recently told me he wishes he had more and that he could sell it all day long at $200. I told him I had several bottles that I'd gladly sell him for that price.

My limit on the BTAC stuff was hit this year...69.99 plus tax puts you at about $74 otd in Illinois...Anything higher then that and I most likely won't be adding anymore BTAC to the bunker. :(

I blame the easy secondary market of eBay and those who support such purveyors.

If you have access to the wholesale market, it's still very reasonably priced. Find someone with a liquor license to go through.

I blame the easy secondary market of eBay and those who support such purveyors.

Truth is, most of the bottles you see listed at absurd prices do not sell. Ebay has a new feature where you can list an item as a buy-it-now at whatever price, and choose to have it stay listed until sold. A bottle of bourbon probably costs $.70 to list. I tried selling a few extra bottles, and couldn't even get my initial investment back.

Anyway, I hope this years BTAC is horrible so I don't have to run all over town buying every bottle that lands here. I'm sure I'll buy some GTS and some WLW, and my buddy will buy every Handy I can find. The rest of them I will pass on, as I did last year.

For those who believe the higher prices causing bottles to go unsold, yes, maybe you've seen a few bottles from previous releases on the shelves, but have you seen them marked down? Have you seen them in the close-out bins? No, you've seen them on the shelve, marked up, if anything.

The BTAC collection is doing just fine.

The big difference between whiskey and wine is that wine genuinely does not keep. It's not lettuce, but depending on the wine it has to be sold within a certain window. You have to sell it so you cut prices until you do. Spirits producers don't have to do that. Brewers don't either but it's easy for them to just make less, as their raw material is less perishable.

For those who believe the higher prices causing bottles to go unsold, yes, maybe you've seen a few bottles from previous releases on the shelves, but have you seen them marked down? Have you seen them in the close-out bins? No, you've seen them on the shelve, marked up, if anything.

Yep, in a store tonight that had at least one each of the 08's previously priced at $59 now at $73.

Did anyone answer Josh's original question? Is this a Michigan phenomenon or is it an across the country price hike? I skimmed the answers and didn't see anything one way or the other. Do other states post their price lists on line a few months in advance?

The OLCC bumps the price about $5 every year. In 2008 they were $72. In 2009 they were $77. I expect the 2010s will be $82 or so.

To make it even worse, the price increase also applies to unsold bottles of previous releases.

To 09 Handy or not to 09 Handy, that is the question.

Did anyone answer Josh's original question? Is this a Michigan phenomenon or is it an across the country price hike? I skimmed the answers and didn't see anything one way or the other. Do other states post their price lists on line a few months in advance?

I've seen price hikes year over year here in VA. Way back in 2006, I picked up 6 GTS for $49.99 even though the price had increased to $55, they neglected to change the shelf price and I complained of false advertisement....I got my way, $49.99 each. In WV up until last year, the price for BTAC was $42 but because of BT/wholeseller price increases, that went up $15 a bottle.

I spotted 3 species of BTAC last night in Central NJ, but I just cannot justify the prices in my current situation (unemployed). ER17 was $69.99, Handy was $79.99, and WLW was $89.99 (3 of these on the shelf). I believe these were all 2009 versions. I guess compared to the Parker's Golden Anniversary ($150) or 27 year old ($200) they seem like a bargain, but not for me.

I didn't buy any last year as the prices in SD hover around $80 to $90 and that's just too expensive to be buying this stuff. but compared to scotch, it's a deal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Is WLW usually priced higher than the other whiskeys in the BTAC?

I believe they are all priced the same by BT but this could vary by store and demand.

Is WLW usually priced higher than the other whiskeys in the BTAC?

WLW and ER are priced less than GTS in Virginia

WLW and ER are priced less than GTS in Virginia

Here in Maryland, they are usually all priced the same except WLW. Which runs $15-20 more depending on the store. I think it may creep into the $60s this year.

Here in Maryland, they are usually all priced the same except WLW. Which runs $15-20 more depending on the store. I think it may creep into the $60s this year.

Around these parts my two locals had them all priced at $65 a bottle and $180 a case. I have seen some bottles at $75 or around town but I wont pay that. If they continue to go up $5 a year they will soon enough price me out.

I found some BTAC in North Georgia last weekend, ER17. Saz and Handy all priced at $99.99 - the Stag was $120 - They all stayed on the shelf, too rich for my pocketbook.

I found some BTAC in North Georgia last weekend, ER17. Saz and Handy all priced at $99.99 - the Stag was $120 - They all stayed on the shelf, too rich for my pocketbook.

Shop owners that do that cause me to take my business elsewhere.

I see the BTAC here in California being set at or north of the $100 mark. That's just the way it is in the 3 tier system that this and many other states operate.

I won't be a customer, but I guarantee the shelves will show that I am in the minority.

It looks like they went up 6 bucks here.

Marc, about that 100 dollar price, is that from your state's LCC or is that what you heard from retailer's who are pumping it up?

• 3 weeks later...

The 2010 BTAC line hasn't been posted up here in New England yet. NH held firm for years but jumped about $5 last year to the mid-$50s. Since they pulled the 2009 listings down earlier this year I expect we'll see another price hike again when they relist them shortly.

I'm thinking $70 is probably my limit for GTS & WLW, $60 for the Handy and mid-50s for the ER and Saz 18, but I never know for sure until the prices hit those levels. ...and how good the releases happen to be when they do...

I don't buy much single malt scotch these days for exactly these same reasons, and bourbon is definitely following these same pricing trends.

I find I'm buying more microbrews and belgian beers these day - "cold malts" in the circles I run in.

Anxiously waiting to see how the single barrel bourbons we selected for Julios during the 2010 Bourbon Crusade come in and how they're priced this year - that's what I'm most likely investing in next. They're tasting the ones that have arrived to date at the Oct 6 Whisky Wednesday. Can't wait!

Cheers! DrE

The 2010 BTAC line hasn't been posted up here in New England yet. NH held firm for years but jumped about $5 last year to the mid-$50s. Since they pulled the 2009 listings down earlier this year I expect we'll see another price hike again when they relist them shortly.

I'm thinking $70 is probably my limit for GTS & WLW, $60 for the Handy and mid-50s for the ER and Saz 18, but I never know for sure until the prices hit those levels. ...and how good the releases happen to be when they do...

I don't buy much single malt scotch these days for exactly these same reasons, and bourbon is definitely following these same pricing trends.

I find I'm buying more microbrews and belgian beers these day - "cold malts" in the circles I run in.

Nice post, Doc. And welcome to SB. Tell us more about yourself when you get a chance. Our prices here in Chicago are close to those you've described and I too am holding firm with a $70 limit on GTS and WLW. Low $60's for Handy is reasonable but I still think that we are reaching the limits of what most enthusiasts are willing to pay. Sure, there will be those who will shell out whatever it costs to have the latest BTAC's in their collection. But as Mr. Gillman pointed out in another recent thread, many of us are heading for the lower and middle shelves these days and are completely satisfied with our purchases. In the end, I don't think we can or should be chasing the SMS pricing trend which is becoming absurd in my book.

VA is already in the mid $70's with tax. With the prices going up almost year over year, I've really scaled back the number of bottles I get. I think last year I got one of each of the barrel proof bottles. I may do the same this year, we'll see.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.