Woodford Reserve Maple Wood Finish

CorvallisCracker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Perusing the August OLCC price list for new items, this caught my eye:

WOODFORD RESERVE MAPLE WOO $89.95

Did a Google search, up came a link to Hansell's blog, followed it, nothing there.

However a cached copy is still floating in Google space.

Went back to Hansell's blog, several other articles with the same date, but not the one about WRMW.

What's the deal, John?

Good question. They told me about it. I posted it up on my blog. Then, after I posted, they asked me to keep quiet about it until word got out, so I trashed the post. It's back up now.

MAPLE WOO, eh? Sounds good. Let's hope the maple wood finish doesn't mean being run through a large vat of maple charcoal.:skep:

It's going to be unaged woodford mixed with maple syrup to add a thick oiley body for that full mouth feel, but at a drinkable proof. For the gentleman that wants to enjoy maple syrup covered movie-theater pop corn taste, but with a kick of alcohol to it.

Let's hope the maple wood finish doesn't mean being run through a large vat of maple charcoal.:skep:

Now here's an interesting twist.

I just looked at the OLCC August price changes list again and the entry is gone. :bigeyes:

I can't imagine that B-F could persuade them to do that other than to tell them that they're not going to release it after all.

If that's the case, the stuff must have been pretty awful. Just as well, I guess.

Added via Edit:

It's been deleted from the "Price Changes" list, but it's still on the regular price sheet for August. The latter is in alpha order, check near the bottom.

I've downloaded a copy of it, in case it gets deleted from that as well.

So, I'm thinking somebody from B-F reads this forum. To you I say: this sneakin' around bit is lame. Come clean and tell us what's going on.

Chris was talking about this at the last Woodford Academy. The Woodford is finished in a barrel made with maple wood instead of oak. He says the charred maple gives the whiskey an interesting sweetness. He hinted that they may have tried finishes in barrels made from other woods as well. It sounds like interesting experiments to me.

Mike Veach

Wow, good for WR; they've managed to come up with an entry to this series that I'd actually consider buying! :]

Sounds different and its piqued my interest.

Ironically enough I cracked my WRSC and to be honest, I like it. I dont get heavy chardonnay notes or an over oakage, its a decent bourbon, but I can see how it is deemed a bit overpriced when a pappy 20 could be bought for same price...

I can see how it is deemed a bit overpriced when a pappy 20 could be bought for same price...

Where can you get Pappy 20 for $90?

Chris was talking about this at the last Woodford Academy. The Woodford is finished in a barrel made with maple wood instead of oak. He says the charred maple gives the whiskey an interesting sweetness. He hinted that they may have tried finishes in barrels made from other woods as well. It sounds like interesting experiments to me.

Mike Veach

Thanks for the info, Mike.

Hmmm, I just had an inspiration (probably due to too much coffee). They could identify all the State Trees, finish some bourbon in toasted barrels of each, and release them in the appropriate state. Let's see, for Oregon that would be Douglas Fir, Pseudotsuga menziesii. Florida would be Sabal Palm, Sabal palmetto. Louisiana would be Baldcypress, Taxodium distichum.

They could repackage some of last year's WRMC for Connecticut and Maryland, as their state tree is White Oak, Quercus alba.

Actually, I'd like to put a bunch of bourbon into Jessica alba and see what develops.

Oh my have times changed....I cant find it for less than $110 anymore!?!?

Glad I stocked up on 12 bottles when I did at 70ish dollars. I wasnt sure if I made the right move back then, but in hindsight, I guess I did.

Some trees do not lend themselves to this type of experimentation. I don't think a resinous pine tree wood would be good. Woods that are not dense enough to hold liquid would also be a bad choice. However maybe something like hickory or wild cherry could be an interesting finish.

I give Brown-Forman credit for trying some new things even if they are not the best end results. I also give them credit for making such experiments available to the public. They could just as easily make these experiments on a smaller scale leave us in the dark as to the end results. I have found all of these experiments interesting and fun to taste. I don't think most of them are going to be the next great bourbon product, but I am glad I had a chance to taste them.

Mike Veach

I don't think a resinous pine tree wood would be good.

But toasting/charring the barrel would be so much fun!

I give Brown-Forman credit for trying some new things even if they are not the best end results. I also give them credit for making such experiments available to the public. They could just as easily make these experiments on a smaller scale leave us in the dark as to the end results. I have found all of these experiments interesting and fun to taste. I don't think most of them are going to be the next great bourbon product, but I am glad I had a chance to taste them.

Mike Veach

I agree up to a point, Mike. What I would like to see is B-F release these experiments in smaller sizes at proportional prices like BT's experimental whiskeys. $90 is a lot for a pig in a poke.

$90 is a lot for a pig in a poke.

Three way split, I have a bunch of empty and clean I might add, 200ml bottles

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I know a lot of people here hated the Four Grain, but I have met a lot of people who think it is one of the best bourbons made. Taste are different. I personally am somewhere in between on the Four Grain. I found it very interesting but not something I would drink on a regular basis. I am also against the general opinion that this board has on Maker's Mark 46. It was not bad, but from what I taste, they only added more wood tannins and what a lot of people are calling "spice" I am calling bitter wood tannins. The point is everybody has different taste and every product will appeal to someone. The Maple Wood finish will have its fans and detractors and that is fine. Oscar's suggestion about splitting a bottle is a good idea. Another way is to try the product at a bar before you decide to purchase a bottle.

Mike Veach

I think the problem with the 375 is that they would have to design new glass in that size. They designed the 750 bottle to make these product distinct from regular Woodford on shelf. The marketing people would want the same for the 375.

It would be nice to purchase the smaller, less expensive bottles if they were offered.

Mike Veach

It's $94.99 plus tax (7%) right here in New Jersey where (as I constantly complain) everything ELSE is overpriced. I picked up PVW15 for $49.99 and ORVW 10/90 for $28.99 here. The VWFRR, Lot B, and PVW15 were sold out last time I was there (a month ago) but they still had 20 and 23 ($204.99) -in the pretty velvet bag even!

It's $94.99 plus tax (7%) right here in New Jersey where (as I constantly complain) everything ELSE is overpriced. I picked up PVW15 for $49.99 and ORVW 10/90 for $28.99 here. The VWFRR, Lot B, and PVW15 were sold out last time I was there (a month ago) but they still had 20 and 23 ($204.99) -in the pretty velvet bag even!

BT products seem to be quite cheap in the MD/DE/NJ area. I was recently hunting around VA/NC, where all things BT are much more expensive. DC is hit or miss, I've found big variations on price there. Hunt around, then come back.

Right now it's $101 in OR. Not that it matters, because all of the current allocation has been sold (I should know, I bought the last two).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.