Woodford Reserve Maple Wood Finish

CorvallisCracker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been keeping quiet about this because several months ago Woodford offered me an exclusive, for WHISKY Magazine, to reveal the next eight or so years of Master's Collection releases. I submitted the story about six weeks ago but wanted to preserve the exclusive for the magazine, which is now out so I feel free to talk about it.

The full story is in WHISKY Magazine Issue No. 89, publication date October 2010 (but it's out now).

The 2010 release is, indeed, mature Woodford Reserve bourbon finished in toasted sugar maple barrels. As with all Master's Collection releases, it is 100 percent pot still Woodford. Sadly, my exclusive access did not include a taste of this one, but it did include tastes of some of the other works-in-progress.

I've posted the full list on my blog here, but of course it's in the magazine too.

I've been keeping quiet about this because several months ago Woodford offered me an exclusive, for WHISKY Magazine, to reveal the next eight or so years of Master's Collection releases. I submitted the story about six weeks ago but wanted to preserve the exclusive for the magazine, which is now out so I feel free to talk about it.

The full story is in WHISKY Magazine Issue No. 89, publication date October 2010 (but it's out now).

The 2010 release is, indeed, mature Woodford Reserve bourbon finished in toasted sugar maple barrels. As with all Master's Collection releases, it is 100 percent pot still Woodford. Sadly, my exclusive access did not include a taste of this one, but it did include tastes of some of the other works-in-progress.

I've posted the full list on my blog here, but of course it's in the magazine too.

I've been keeping quiet about this because several months ago Woodford offered me an exclusive, for WHISKY Magazine, to reveal the next eight or so years of Master's Collection releases...

Wow, did Fritz Maytag get Chris Morris by the lapels? Four different variations on 100% rye mashes (you do mean the grains are 100% rye? malted or enzymes?).

The mash was a mix of rye malt and unmalted rye.

Is this the first usage of pot stills for rye by a macrodistiller in this or the previous century?

The last 40 years, certainly. Before 1970 it's possible someone was still running an all-pot-still operation somewhere in the USA and making rye whiskey with it. Possible but unlikely. It's unlikely there has been one so made since before Prohibition.

I've been keeping quiet about this

I'd noticed that.

because several months ago Woodford offered me an exclusive, for WHISKY Magazine, to reveal the next eight or so years of Master's Collection releases. I submitted the story about six weeks ago but wanted to preserve the exclusive for the magazine, which is now out so I feel free to talk about it.

I figured it was something like that, given that they'd told JH about it and then asked him to stay quite about it.

Although I still haven't gotten the OLCC to admit to altering the Price Change list for August (that is, deleting the entry for it) I did learn that they were told in April that the 2010 WRMC would be Maple Wood finish, with the "effective date" being August.

Very interesting. I think I'll skip the tequila finish, but the rum finish and the ryes sound interesting. They say "100% rye". Some rye malt or enzymes?

They say "100% rye". Some rye malt or enzymes?

Ah, asked and answered!

Isn't tequila aged in used bourbon barrels, or do they also use new barrels?

I hope the low-entry ryes aren't too expensive.

Isn't tequila aged in used bourbon barrels, or do they also use new barrels?

I hope the low-entry ryes aren't too expensive.

• 1 month later...

If you wondered what the maple barrels look like, here is your answer. The top row is oak, the bottom row is maple. The maple wood finish will be out November 1. I still haven't tasted it but should have a sample shortly.

post-5-14489816899918_thumb.jpg

post-5-14489816900167_thumb.jpg

post-5-14489816900343_thumb.jpg

Lots of people seem to not be very impressed with the experimental bourbons. Most of the ones I have tried wouldn't be something I would buy often if they were regular releases but they show that there is a spirit of experimentation in the industry and that makes me really happy. The more experimentation the greater the opportunity for great bourbons in the future.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind a 375 ml bottle and a few dollars off the price.

Leaking or stained better to identify them?

Gary

Neither. That's just how they look. I didn't take these pictures but I did see some in person and they also had that streaking. I assume they made these similarly to how oak barrels are made, meaning they were rough cut, open-air seasoned for several months, then planed, softened with steam so they'd bend, and then heated for a toast, but that's it. Certainly no stains. That's not evidence of leakage either. I've saw that on the ones I saw in June and it's much darker.

If you wondered what the maple barrels look like, here is your answer. The top row is oak, the bottom row is maple. The maple wood finish will be out November 1. I still haven't tasted it but should have a sample shortly.

That’s what I call a finish Chuck! Not an old leaky used wine barrel as they use in Scotland.

Leif

The 2010 release is, indeed, mature Woodford Reserve bourbon finished in toasted sugar maple barrels.

In case no one else has made the connection, Brown-Forman has A LOT of sugar maple around. Why? It's what the charcoal is made from that's used for filtering the white dog that later becomes Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey.

Whether 'toasted' barrels of sugar maple will make Woodford Reserve taste anything like JD is the question. I'd guess not really, but taste will tell. Does JD use a typical bourbon mashbill for their whiskey?

Does JD use a typical bourbon mashbill for their whiskey?

It’s relatively high in corn and quit a bit different from the Woodford/Brown Forman Matt. I think you can find the exact recipe on the home page as it is official.

Leif

Does JD use a typical bourbon mashbill for their whiskey?

Yep, it may be a little higher in corn but the mashbill meets bourbon requirements.

So far I have not cared for any of the WRMC but I'll keep trying.

If anyone wants to split a bottle of this 3 or better yet 4 ways with me then I'll give it a whirl.

• 1 month later...

I have a review sample. Having tasted it informally, I have some issues with the finish. (Maybe a little too much Maple wood?) I'll probably review it formally next week and put it up on my blog shortly aftwrwards.

I have a review sample. Having tasted it informally, I have some issues with the finish. (Maybe a little too much Maple wood?) I'll probably review it formally next week and put it up on my blog shortly aftwrwards.

Great! I will, as always, look forward to your review.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.