Parker's Heritage Collection for 2010

JohnHansell
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just got news that it's going to be a 10 year old, non-chill filtered, cask strength wheated bourbon! I thought you would like to know, as I didn't find any threads on it here at SB.com.

It's the first bottling of extra-aged (their terminology) wheated whiskey by Heaven Hill from Bernheim since they took over the distillery.

For those of you who want more info, I posted it up on my blog.

Thanks for the heads up John - it certainly has me curious.

Do you get a sense that they are looking to bring Old Fitz back to a premium?

That's good news, I always felt the Bernheim wheat-recipe bourbon was sound but could benefit from longer age, and a small-batch, barrel strength is even better.

Gary

This should be interesting! (I guess it will be all about the barrel selection -- I haven't loved HH-produced Old Fitz.)

Great news. Hopefully it's a sign that they are taking their wheaters seriously now!

Note, this is wheated bourbon, i.e., Old Fitzgerald, not straight wheat whiskey, i.e., Bernheim.

The significance of this is that even though it's the same distillery at which Diageo (and predecessor companies) had been making wheated bourbon since 1992, Heaven Hill made many changes to the facility after they took over, including putting a lot more copper into the stills. Obviously, this will be whiskey made after they thought they had got it right.

I would imagine that they picked some good barrels for the two bottlings. They've been picking winners so far with the Parker's bottlings.

It will also be interesting to see if/how the two batches differ.

Well this is it (re what Chuck said), the 12 year old VSOF is good but lacks some richness, and that was Bernheim production too but distilled pre-HH purchase. Since this current 10 year old is from Bernheim after the purchase, I am hoping it will really show its stuff at 10 years and barrel strength.

Gary

It could be wishful thinking, but I am assuming this PHC will cost considerably less than some others in the past. Again, could just be wishful thinking....

Well this is it (re what Chuck said), the 12 year old VSOF is good but lacks some richness, and that was Bernheim production too but distilled pre-HH purchase. Since this current 10 year old is from Bernheim after the purchase, I am hoping it will really show its stuff at 10 years and barrel strength.

Gary

The benchmark of the pre-HH wheat bourbon from Bernheim has to be the Binnys Weller 12 bottling. The barrels that Brett snagged may not have been representative of pre-HH Bernheim wheaters, but they show that the still was capable of creating something that became a deep, well rounded bourbon.

I would love to learn that HH has improved on that.

I've had some good Weller 12, including (some years ago) what must have been made at Bernheim, but perhaps because of the greatness of the label under S-W, I haven't been knocked out by it.

It would be good to do a comparative on different bottlings of Bernheim wheated bourbon.

Gary

This should be interesting! (I guess it will be all about the barrel selection -- I haven't loved HH-produced Old Fitz.)

Yep, agree, HH Old Fitz isn't very good at all.

But with Parker putting his name on the bottle odds are that he picked a couple of good barrels and the barrel proof will definatley help.

I note that it's whiskey made in the summer of 2000, so more than a year after they took over the distillery. That tells me -- and I'm speculating here, but not too much -- that this is the oldest wheated bourbon they have that is up to their standards for an enthusiast release. That's a good setup for this being really excellent.

The benchmark of the pre-HH wheat bourbon from Bernheim has to be the Binnys Weller 12 bottling. The barrels that Brett snagged may not have been representative of pre-HH Bernheim wheaters, but they show that the still was capable of creating something that became a deep, well rounded bourbon.

I would love to learn that HH has improved on that.

The Binny's Weller is a great wheater. The benefit of that particular bottling is the 14+ years of age which I think explains it's depth and well rounded nature. It will be interesting to see how these two compare; extra age vs extra proof.

I got a sample of this and here's what I think.

It is in very well-aged wheated bourbons that you can experience why I believe bourbon whiskey evolved more in imitation of cognac than scotch. Without the sharp, grassy notes of rye the new charred barrel reigns supreme and it is almost possible to forget you are drinking whiskey and not brandy.

You will taste that for yourself if you can snag a bottle of this limited edition, cask strength, non-chilled filtered, 10-year-old wheated bourbon.

Undiluted I get red raspberry on the nose and very dark molasses on the palate. Diluted I get caramel and vanilla on both, also old oak on the nose and on the palate very light notes of mint, oregano, and teriyaki sauce.

Especially when diluted it is all wheater, with caramel and vanilla dominating, though at times the caramel slips away and pancake syrup sweetness takes over. Undiluted it is very rich and intense. More licorice comes through, especially on the finish.

To read my entire review go to my blog.

If it resembles anything on the market now it would be WLW. It is very unlike Van Winkle Lot B or Weller 12. You won't mistake it for a Stitzel-Weller, but it picked up in 10 years almost as much barrel action as the recent Jefferson's did in 17.

The Binny's Weller is a great wheater. The benefit of that particular bottling is the 14+ years of age which I think explains it's depth and well rounded nature.

Has anyone seen the new Parkers on the shelf anywhere?

I don't think it comes out until about the KBF time ie. Sept 14.

Not to stray too far, but is the Binny's Weller still around?

Just checked, and I remember looking once before--"In store only." Maybe there's a secret password of Brett's...

I haven't seen any bottles on the shelf in months...I've visited about 6 Binny's locations in that time. You never know what Brett and Joe have stashed in their bunkers at Binny's S. Loop though. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.