Parker's Heritage Collection for 2010

JohnHansell
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm currently doing a side by side of PHC 2010, the 124.2 proof version and a VSOF I bought at Toddy's last spring. To compare them on a more level playing field, I diluted the PHC down to 90 proof.

They are pretty different whiskeys.

The VSOF is subtle, nuanced and bears a strong resemblence to French brandy, having an almost grapey touch of sweetness at the top of the finish. There is a good amount of wood, but it is subtle like just about everything. This would make a nice dessert bourbon or a beginning of the night bourbon. It is also, surprisingly, much darker than the PHC, even when both are diluted. I even get a little butterscotch out of it as it sits in the glass, which I get a lot out of rye-recipe bourbons from the UDV era at Bernheim like slope-shouldered OCPRs.

The PHC is all bourbon. Even at 90 proof (or as close as I could get) it's bold and much more assertive. Brown sugar, clove, mace, wood. There's a lot going on at once, but is very focused all the same.

Just my two cents.

Tell him you want him to send you a bottle of Binny's Weller 12...I know he has some stashed away! ;)

He mentioned that he had some of that, and offered one.

Is it really that much different/better?

I'm currently doing a side by side of PHC 2010, the 124.2 proof version and a VSOF I bought at Toddy's last spring. To compare them on a more level playing field, I diluted the PHC down to 90 proof.

They are pretty different whiskeys.

The VSOF is subtle, nuanced and bears a strong resemblence to French brandy, having an almost grapey touch of sweetness at the top of the finish. There is a good amount of wood, but it is subtle like just about everything. This would make a nice dessert bourbon or a beginning of the night bourbon. It is also, surprisingly, much darker than the PHC, even when both are diluted. I even get a little butterscotch out of it as it sits in the glass, which I get a lot out of rye-recipe bourbons from the UDV era at Bernheim like slope-shouldered OCPRs.

The PHC is all bourbon. Even at 90 proof (or as close as I could get) it's bold and much more assertive. Brown sugar, clove, mace, wood. There's a lot going on at once, but is very focused all the same.

Just my two cents.

Josh, Great tasting notes and I always enjoy reading these head to head comparisons. I have some BHC VSOF that fits into your description of the Toddy's and plan a taste off with the PHC as soon as I get rid of a nasty sinus infection. I'm curious to do a blind tasting of ORVW 107 against the PHC too. Of course that means I better slow down on emptying the PHC bottle which is quite difficult. I am finding that non chill filtered and cask strength, even though I bring em all down to 100-107 proof, is really where it's at for me with current made whiskies.

He mentioned that he had some of that, and offered one.

Is it really that much different/better?

Oh yeah! According to Joe/Lost Pollito, the Binny's Weller 12 is 14.3 years old of Bernheim made juice and for me has extra complexity, char and finish to balance off the Weller sweetness. In my world it is a fave and edges out current Lot B by just a little but still behind either Centennial.

• 2 months later...

A PHC 4th and a Van Winkle 10/107 would be a good side-by-side. A test with PVW15 would also be of interest.

Josh, Great tasting notes and I always enjoy reading these head to head comparisons. I have some BHC VSOF that fits into your description of the Toddy's and plan a taste off with the PHC as soon as I get rid of a nasty sinus infection. I'm curious to do a blind tasting of ORVW 107 against the PHC too. Of course that means I better slow down on emptying the PHC bottle which is quite difficult. I am finding that non chill filtered and cask strength, even though I bring em all down to 100-107 proof, is really where it's at for me with current made whiskies.

Oh yeah! According to Joe/Lost Pollito, the Binny's Weller 12 is 14.3 years old of Bernheim made juice and for me has extra complexity, char and finish to balance off the Weller sweetness. In my world it is a fave and edges out current Lot B by just a little but still behind either Centennial.

A PHC 4th and a Van Winkle 10/107 would be a good side-by-side. A test with PVW15 would also be of interest.

PHC 2010 and PVW15 are very similiar by my taste buds. I really enjoy both of them.

PHC 2010 and PVW15 are very similiar by my taste buds. I really enjoy both of them.

You have good taste buds Will. :lol: Joe

I don't know if I really have good taste buds, but I do know they get to taste good bourbon.

Taste testing PVW15 and PHC 2010 right now. Still very similar to me in looks, smell, feel, and taste. The biggest difference is that PHC 2010 has more of an alcohol finish. But I'm not complaining.

I was going to curb my bourbon purchases as I've been fortunate enough to find dusties and very good current bourbons that I felt I needed to either reduce the rate of purchase or increase the rate of consumption. Since the rate of consumption actually is currently decreasing, there was no need to purchase.

Thinking ahead, I plan on increasing my morning consumption rate in a few years when I retire.

Morning is the best time to enjoy bourbon.

• 2 months later...

I have yet to try PVW15 and PHC10 side by side(i definitely need to do this at some point). That said from the last couple times I've had PVW15 vs tonight and several other occasions, I'm about 95% sure I prefer PHC10 to PVW15. I add a little water to cut it to around 105-110 proof always so I always drink it at around the same proof. For me it's just sweeter w/ more caramel and vanilla than what I got the last few times I had PVW.

FWIW I'm on my 2nd bottle of PVW15 and I noticed both times that it was amazing, like literally blew me away upon opening it and as it had some time to sit it wasn't as good as the first few days of opening. Anyone else notice that?

OK, NVM. Trying them side by side PVW15 wins but if they were the same price I would buy a ton of PHC10, its really really good. Not quite as complex but sweeter IMO at the proof I drink it at.

I still feel like PVW15 is at its absolute best in the first couple days of opening it but I might just be out of my mind. I am really curious if other people have experienced this. Maybe that should be in a PVW15 thread or its own thread, idk, regardless I'm really curious.

• 1 month later...

I just boughtva bottle of this because I can't read. I thought I was buying 2011. I hope it is as good as you all say

• 1 month later...

I cracked mine today, My dad is in town so I shared this with him, I also bought him a bottle of EWSB 2000 and he prefered that to PHC but my bet was the heat did him in. You were all correct, opulent and rich, is the best way to describe this. Since there is no Pappy to be had around here I am going to go grab another of these.

I revisited my bottle yesterday. This is one that gets better and better all the time. I may try to get my hands on another one of these.

Howdy All:

I hope you are great.

So is the 2010 still available out there?

Best regards, tony

Yeah, I'm sure you could score one if you did enough sniffin',.. check out www.eBay.com they got lots of stuff.

Oh yeah, I am great, to answer your opening question.

Yeah, I'm sure you could score one if you did enough sniffin',.. check out www.eBay.com they got lots of stuff.

Oh yeah, I am great, to answer your opening question.

Thanks, glad you are well. Did you buy all that was in Michigan?

Best regards, tony

Thanks, glad you are well. Did you buy all that was in Michigan?

Best regards, tony

No, just the original 122.6prf from the first release.

Thanks OscarV- I was able to find two bottles today, look forward to trying it.

Best regards, tony

It is very good. It was the second bourbon that I tried in the short time that I have been drinking bourbon. Very good, I put it on par with GTS and WLW.

Tony

No, just the original 122.6prf from the first release.

I thought the proofs were 124.2 and 127.8. To quote Roger Clemens...."Am I misremembering"?

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh, the two proofs you mentioned were from the 2010 release, the wheater. The first release in 2007 came from 3 batches. Each batch had its own proof.

Ok, I read "first release" as the first release of the two PHC 10yr Wheaters, not as the very first release of PHC.

I'm straight now. :-)

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone done a side by side between the 127.8 proof and the 124.2 proof? I am curious to hear if there is a significant difference in the taste.

I was in love with Pappy 20 until I got my bottles of PHC 2010 in the mail. Many thanks to this thread for giving me the scoop on yet another fine specimen of the wheated variety.

Has anyone done a side by side between the 127.8 proof and the 124.2 proof? I am curious to hear if there is a significant difference in the taste.

I have done a side by side on the two but it was many months ago...I have both open so perhaps I'll revisit over the holidays. I seem to remember that they were more alike then different but that I prefered the 124.2 as I felt it showed a little less heat and a little more burnt brown sugar. YMMV. ;)

I tasted them both neat and I've come to the conclusion that the 124.2 really shines at 107 proof so that's where I pretty much always drink it at. I need to cut down some of the 127.8 and do a side by side at 107.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.