Alltech and Pearce Lyons Bourbon

pepcycle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can't wait until we get a review from John Hansell and stunned silence from Col. Cowdery. :grin:

They link calls it bourbon, but the site calls it a malt. It looks like the equestrian games sponsors want to have their cake and eat it too with respect to their European visitors.

My guess: It tastes young, but at a premium price. :slappin:

http://www.alltech.com/en_US/media/releases/Pages/Alltech-launches-Pearse-Lyons-Reserve-malt-whiskey.aspx

But the question is: Is it on a shelf and can I buy it? Show me where and I'll be there this week.

According to one release that I saw, you can get your fill of young malt whiskey at a premium price at your local Liquor Barn starting 8/18.

I will say this. They've hardly told us anything about it and what they have told us sounds dubious. Not a great start.

They may even be wrong. They may be first to market with a Kentucky-made malt whiskey, but we know Woodford Reserve laid down a batch of malt whiskey several years ago. Made in Forsyth pot stills too, by the way.

Heaven Hill also has some malt whiskey in wood that they made four or five years ago.

And as near as I can tell, Pearse Lyons Reserve isn't even malt whiskey. The label says "whiskey" and the word "malt" is nowhere to be seen.

They may even be wrong. They may be first to market with a Kentucky-made malt whiskey, but we know Woodford Reserve laid down a batch of malt whiskey several years ago. Made in Forsyth pot stills too, by the way.

Corsair released our Triple Smoke, an American single malt to limited markets a couple months ago.

Perhaps they can't label it as malt, as it's not an all-malt recipe, like say an Irish-Whiskey which would contain some unmalted barley.

If we remember this thread where it was announced that that's what Alltech would be producing.

There is not a class/type code for USA-produced Irish Whiskey (as I'm sure Irish Distillers would throw a fit)

According to the TTB they have it listed as Class/type 109 "Other Straight Whiskey"

DSP-KY-15004 for those that keep track of such things.

The back label gives the only hints to this Irish-style: "master distiller, Irishman, Dr. T Pearse Lyons.......mastered the craft working at distilleries near his home in Ireland"

According to the TTB they have it listed as Class/type 109 "Other Straight Whiskey"

I am pretty sure most American Single Malts are being classed in the "Other" category. I know this is the case for sure with McCarthy's, which in my opinion, is the most "single malt-esque" of the micros.

Dr Lyons worked at Jameson and Guinness.

AllTech has purchased a few acres of land in Lexington, so they have plans for more production and more products.

I do believe this is an American version of Irish Whisky, so classification as "other straight whiskey" does cover it.

How they get away with using the word bourbon is beyond me.

Release right before WEG is a good move though.

The "bourbon" link was on an aggregator, no connection to the producer.

The other issue with "malt whiskey" under American rules is that aging in new charred oak is required, which is a problem if you're going for an Irish-type spirit.

The really interesting thing about Alltech is that it is, to the best of my knowledge, the only micro-distillery and micro-brewery started by a large corporation.

The other issue with "malt whiskey" under American rules is that aging in new charred oak is required, which is a problem if you're going for an Irish-type spirit.

Bourbon Review had this to say...

Hittin' the shelves soon...Pearse Lyons Reserve! It aint bourbon, but it is the first single malt to be made in the USA within the last 90 yrs. Interesting play by Dr. Lyons, creator of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale....

Bourbon Review had this to say...

Hittin' the shelves soon...Pearse Lyons Reserve! It aint bourbon, but it is the first single malt to be made in the USA within the last 90 yrs. Interesting play by Dr. Lyons, creator of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale....

Not sure how you intended this to be read: did you mean it to be read that they didn't call it "malt whiskey" so that they could use used cooperage and therefore be better able to replicate the Irish profile?

Yes, that's what I meant.

The problem is they are calling it "Straight Whiskey"...

Sez who? It doesn't say that on the label as near as I can tell from the photograph on their web site. It just says "whiskey." That means it's some kind of whiskey all of one type. It probably qualifies for "whiskey distilled from malt mash," but who wants to use that mouthful if you can just use 'whiskey'? That's my assumption.

If the label does in fact say "straight whiskey" then you are correct. In that case they would also be required to state the actual age on the label if it is less than four years. That's not how I read the rules but it is how they seem to be being applied, the age statement requirement only kicks in if you qualify for and use "straight" in your official description.

They can say a lot of things in advertising or interviews, even call it malt whiskey. The rules only really govern the label. As I read the rules any whiskey that is all of one type (i.e., not a blend) may use the class name only without a type name, i.e., whiskey.

The label just says "whiskey", but the label application type is 109 "other straight whiskey"

The label just says "whiskey", but the label application type is 109 "other straight whiskey"

Which tells me the application wasn't approved.

Trust the label.

TTB ID: q.gif 10137001000490

Vendor Code: q.gif 17498

Serial #: q.gif 100002

Class/Type Code: q.gif OTHER STRAIGHT WHISKY

Origin Code: q.gif KENTUCKY

Brand Name: q.gif PEARSE LYONS RESERVE

Fanciful Name: q.gif

Type of Application: q.gif LABEL APPROVAL

For Sale In: q.gif

Total Bottle Capacity: q.gif

Wine Vintage: q.gif

Formula/SOP No.: q.gif 1

Lab No./Lab Date: q.gif

Approval Date: 05/24/2010

Qualifications: q.gif

I guess I don't believe everything I see on government web sites.

Let's wait until someone sees one in a store and can say what the label actually says. It just seems illogical that they would make something they're talking about as a malt whiskey that wouldn't be at least 51% malt.

If I'm doing the math right, if it's not at least 51% something then it has to be at least three grain, although I believe corn, malted barley and unmalted barley would count as three grains.

Honestly, I just think someone messed up, either Alltech applied for the wrong label (and the TTB was dumb enough to let it through), or the TTB let them put out a label without the proper age statement.

Would anybody be too offended if I moved this out of ...Bourbon and into "Other ...." It seems like it isn't what they were originally calling it. If I am missing the point let me know, but it seems like this here ain't no bourbon and I ain't gonna be drinking it.

Let's wait until someone sees one in a store and can say what the label actually says. It just seems illogical that they would make something they're talking about as a malt whiskey that wouldn't be at least 51% malt.

• 5 months later...

Drinking some now.

First impression is the sweetness and malted barley character up front. Nose and palate.

I'm not getting a lot of wood or char, so this is very young (which it is) or barrel charring is very light. (or both)

Color is about the same as Ten High.

Finish is short and a little bitter (drying)

Good news: It ain't Scotch. Its more Irish

Bad News: The price is like Scotch

Value perspective is its worth trying, especially if someone else bought it.

If I'm doing the math right, if it's not at least 51% something then it has to be at least three grain, although I believe corn, malted barley and unmalted barley would count as three grains.

I know this message is five months old, but I have to point out that the math is wrong. You could have 50% of one grain and 50% of another.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.