What Did You Pass Up Today? Fall 2010-Winter/Spring 2011

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on a 4/5 quart of IW Harper Bottled in Bond, probably from the 70's. It was, as you might expect, behind bulletproof glass, so it was hard to see. The other thing I noted was made in Louisville, for whatever that's worth.

It's a dusty that hardly ever gets talked about on this board, which is probably part of why I passed for now.

Anyone had some lately care to give some counsel?

I have some early 80s 86 proof and it's nice bourbon. I'd love to find the BIB.

I passed on a PHC 10 at $149.95. I also noticed that every other bourbon seemed to be at the actual state minimum price.

After studying the shelves a bit, I asked if that was the correct price. The immediate reply is we price from the state book and that's the price. I asked would you mind verifying that? After verifying the correct price with the clerk, I made a purchase for $79.95.

Atta' Boy Will! Way to keep 'em honest. Every once in a while..... :banghead: Keep up the good work. Joe

Stopped by a store in Michigan while here visiting in-laws. They had 6 bottles of PHC Golden Anniversary priced at $174.99. I asked if they would take they state minimum of $149.99 if I bought two. The lady behind the counter angrily replied, "We don't do state minimum pricing. We have to feed our children somehow!". I replied that I guess they would have to eat Ramen noodles tonight because I wasn't buying it at that price and I left them all sitting there.

Passed on a bunch of stuff at total wine today, Hirsch 22 rye, BMH 16 and a bunch of BTAC 11' still on the shelf (stagg & handy).

Went hunting today, passed up on some SW Old Fitz 80 proofers, quite a few PHC 2011 (but found no 2010), the entire 2011 BAC, an overpriced Jefferson 17, and a VERY high-priced Weller 19.

In one store I passed on 3 EWSB 1989 for $40 each, 2 old label WTRB of unknown vintage and price, and a Dickel BHC. After snagging 2 Rare Breeds earlier in the day and seeing his high prices, I just wrote down the location and walked away.

I passed up a Vintage 21 Rye. Couldn't pull the trigger on $70 right after Christmas.

That's a 40% discount off the price in DC. In my opinion it's as good as any aged rye, with a better price point.

That's a 40% discount off the price in DC. In my opinion it's as good as any aged rye, with a better price point.

I bought 2 VWFRRs in Dec at $52 each, I would love to compare the VW and the V21, but the bourbon budget has been out of control for the last six months or so.

Stopped by a store in Michigan while here visiting in-laws. They had 6 bottles of PHC Golden Anniversary priced at $174.99. I asked if they would take they state minimum of $149.99 if I bought two. The lady behind the counter angrily replied, "We don't do state minimum pricing. We have to feed our children somehow!". I replied that I guess they would have to eat Ramen noodles tonight because I wasn't buying it at that price and I left them all sitting there.

HA! I passed up a Golden Ann for $209.99 and a 27 Year for $269.00! The clerk told a story about some schmoe on the phone trying to talk down the price of some $300 bottle of scotch to another clerk right when I walked in, so while browsing I asked him if he'd lower the price on the PHC's as a joke. At the end of the day, I know he's not the owner so I wasn't expecting anything, but I wish them the best in selling those bottles at those prices.

I passed up a Vintage 21 Rye. Couldn't pull the trigger on $70 right after Christmas.

I have never had the chance to be able to buy that, wish I was at least in your position to hopefully try it once. Argh.

Passed up some Michter's 10 year eye at $130 and WTAS at $109 in CA.

Wish I could find more of that Michter's and Vintage 21 year ryes, probably my favorites for their original ~$70 price.

Did find a Vintage for $85, I knew it was a little over priced but I pulled the trigger anyway. When am I going to find it again?

Same place passed up a Stagg for $199.

My question as well for the Vintage Rye and VWFRR. Not looking for your source just wondering as I didn't think Ohio carried either per state limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took my second pass in as many days but I may be kicking myself on this one. Passed on BMH 23 year old rye @ $128.99. Didn't have time to investigate if that was a reasonable price or to check on reviews of it. Also, I'm making a trip to Chicago the middle of this week and that means BINNY'S! Didn't want to spend my allotted budget too soon. Anybody have thoughts on that BMH 23 rye? I can stop back by there and pick it up on the way home from Chicago.

Passed up everything I saw: a 2011 GTS for $100, Vintage 17 for $65, an 18 year old Willett for $140, Ritt 21 for $170, 2009 ER17 and THH without price tags, 2011 THH for $65.

I think the Vintage was the best deal.

Took my second pass in as many days but I may be kicking myself on this one. Passed on BMH 23 year old rye @ $128.99. Didn't have time to investigate if that was a reasonable price or to check on reviews of it. Also, I'm making a trip to Chicago the middle of this week and that means BINNY'S! Didn't want to spend my allotted budget too soon. Anybody have thoughts on that BMH 23 rye? I can stop back by there and pick it up on the way home from Chicago.

I love this one. And it's impossible to find because it's not being released anymore. I've seen it go for a lot higher just because of it's rarity. If I saw it at that price, I'd pick up all they had.

My god, I just left a lot of overpriced bottles on a shelf.

4 Vintage 21 rye $170

3 Vintage 23 rye $190

3 Vintage 25 bourbon

8 BMH 16

HW 16 & 21 ryes

Probably every publicly released single barrel Willett

I stopped asking prices when I realized they were all crazy.

Passed up a bunch of stuff today but nothing really great:

Charter Private Reserve - nice presentation but only 80 proof ?!?

Old Charter 12 "The Classic" 750's and 1.75's

Old Charter 12 yellow label

Balcones Baby Blue - I have a True Blue staring me down right now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.