BOTM 10/10: Sazerac Rye

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry about posting this months BOTM a little late. Again. :rolleyes: I've been a bit busy. :skep: I also apologize if I said anything to anyone about something else being the BOTM, but.... I received something of a hint/suggestion from a member about the possibilities of other ryes as BOTM. Soooooo, this months BOTM is Sazerac Rye.

Known as Sazerac Rye, Baby Saz, Saz Jr, Saz. Whatever name you wish. Let's here your thoughts about Sazerac Rye. Personally, I'm not much of a rye guy. Most of you know that my preference is for wheaters. I have tasted Baby Saz a couple of times, and I have bought a few bottles of Everett's 09 bottling of it. I must say that Baby Saz doesn't have the bite or bitterness that some ryes seem to have to me. There's just a hint of sweetness there that seems to take the edge off a bit. Not too bad. While I won't go out and buy a bunch, I won't stick my nose up at it either. As I am want to say sometimes, it's all good. :grin: Cheers and good posting. Joe

Love the stuff. A great mid shelf pour that goes for $27 around here. Hard for me to keep a bottle in stock as it goes very fast. My favorite regular rye and one that's hard to put down as once I get into it I tend to stick with it for the session.

I was at the fancy-pants grocery store recently where frequently buy beer, wine and whiskey. There was a man in his twenties who had just picked up and put down a bottle of RRR and had a Ri1 bottle in his hand. I reached for the Saz and said, "If you're looking for rye, this is the one you want." He looked at me and then looked at the tag on the shelf. "Wow, and this one's cheaper too!" "You won't be dissappointed," I said. He smiled and walked off with the bottle of Saz.

They outta put me on the payroll there.

I have had 2 bottles all together of this one with several years in between. It’s not my cup of tee at all. Far too friendly for my taste. Not even in the same league as Rittenhouse BIB.

Leif

Not a bad pour but one that I tend to pass by often.... still only half way through my first bottle. When I use rye as a mixer WT or RITT is my go to and when I want it neat it is Handy or daddy Saz.... Baby just ends up in no mans land......

...had a Ri1 bottle in his hand. I reached for the Saz and said, "If you're looking for rye, this is the one you want." He looked at me and then looked at the tag on the shelf. "Wow, and this one's cheaper too!" "You won't be dissappointed," I said. He smiled and walked off with the bottle of Saz.

They outta put me on the payroll there.

You certainly won't be getting any offers from Beam Global.

Of the everyday ryes, this is far and away, my favorite. I love it's distinctiveness. Ya know, I really don't know what a real rye whiskey is supposed to taste like...historically speaking. I just figure it should be demonstratively different from bourbon. And, different this Baby Saz is. Much more so, I think, than the other ryes, which I find to be too mild and "bourbony". I really love this whiskey. Definitely, another of the 9 in my Top 5.

And, paired with a fudgesicle...Yowza! :yum:

I just finished off a bottle of Baby Saz last night. I need to make a run to the store to replace it (well, that, and a few other bottles).

Hmmm? I may be at odds here, but the two bottles of Baby Saz (purchased at different times) seemed to have a pronounce muddy taste up front that I just can't seem to appreciate. I love OGD 114 and other high rye bourbons so I am not sure why I have the problem with Saz. I can't quite bring myself to pour the second bottle down the sink. I pawned the first off on an out of state relative and decided to give it another chance as so many members of this forum rave about it. Must just be my tastebuds. I did have a taste of Beam rye at a friends and I thought it was alright.

I'm of an interesting opinion on this one: I absolutely love Thomas Handy Sazerac, and am not a fan of the younger NAS Sazerac. While Thomas Handy is one of my (if not the) favorite whiskeys that can be found with some sort of regularity (it may be limited, but nothing compared to certain spectacular willett bottlings and other very limited single barrels), I will pass up Sazerac any chance I get.

With one exception. When making a sazerac cocktail, I find a saz dominant sazerac with a dash of the 18 year old and Handy thrown in is exceptional.

I really like Baby Saz, and I love Handy. There isn't anything to compare them to, is there?
Russell's Reserve Rye , when found. Have noticed some rye white dog , talk about a wallup.

Sazerac is great. A lot of people call it "baby" or "junior". I think the more aged version should be called Handy, and the regular version just Sazerac. Anyway, if I have some in the cabinet, other stuff often gets ignored. It costs around $30 locally. Sazerac seems very different compared to WT Rye or Rittenhouse. (Those are the three I can recomend). I wonder if Sazerac is more like a Maryland Rye?

Sazerac is great. A lot of people call it "baby" or "junior". I think the more aged version should be called Handy, and the regular version just Sazerac.

I think you may be confusing 2 of the Antique Collection items. Sazerac Rye 18 years old, 90 proof, is not the same as Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey Uncut Unfiltered (no age statement, proof varies).

Check their website.

I agree that Handy should drop the 'sazerac' from their name.

Both Sazerac 18 and Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye have greater age than the standard Sazerac Rye, the THSR being eight years old and the latter six. But I can see why there is some occasional confusion. I enjoy Sazerac Rye but it doesn't knock my socks off and I definitely won't be buying another bottle any time soon. It's simply too bland for my tastes, and when I'm drinking rye I want to be bowled over by spicey flavor and aroma. I find, more so than with bourbon, that once I've hard the "exquisite" stuff (THSR, VWFRR, Saz 18, Michter's 10 Year Old Single Barrel and the less expensive Rittenhouse and WT Rye), I can't go back to the "smooth" ryes like Baby Saz and Templeton. That's not to say that I wouldn't enjoy them if someone offered me a pour, only that I wouldn't seek them out when the others are available.

i dont like the Baby Saz at all. i prefer a bit of kick to my ryes. but the Saz has this sweetness that tastes like cherry elixir on my palate.

i dont like the Baby Saz at all. i prefer a bit of kick to my ryes. but the Saz has this sweetness that tastes like cherry elixir on my palate.

It does have a sweetness to it that is found in no other ryes. That is what I meant when I said, "There isn't anything to compare them to, is there?" I didn't mean that it was "beyond comparison".

Both Sazerac 18 and Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye have greater age than the standard Sazerac Rye, the THSR being eight years old and the latter six. But I can see why there is some occasional confusion. I enjoy Sazerac Rye but it doesn't knock my socks off and I definitely won't be buying another bottle any time soon. It's simply too bland for my tastes, and when I'm drinking rye I want to be bowled over by spicey flavor and aroma. I find, more so than with bourbon, that once I've hard the "exquisite" stuff (THSR, VWFRR, Saz 18, Michter's 10 Year Old Single Barrel and the less expensive Rittenhouse and WT Rye), I can't go back to the "smooth" ryes like Baby Saz and Templeton. That's not to say that I wouldn't enjoy them if someone offered me a pour, only that I wouldn't seek them out when the others are available.

To correct my own post, I've just been reading that the THSR is, in fact, six years old, not eight as I had previously commented. I'm not sure where I got eight from? Has it always been six years old?

To correct my own post, I've just been reading that the THSR is, in fact, six years old, not eight as I had previously commented. I'm not sure where I got eight from? Has it always been six years old?

It varies from year to year. iirc, 2009 was 7 y/o, and 2008 was 6 and it appears that the 2010 is 6 also.

It varies from year to year. iirc, 2009 was 7 y/o, and 2008 was 6 and it appears that the 2010 is 6 also.

I ask again. Isn't it just uncut, hand picked, Baby Saz?

Thanks. I thought they tasted quite similar side by side. The Handy is quite a bit better though IMO. Looks like it's time for a blind test.

"DOH, no Baby Saz around."

On the bright side; that's a hell of a lot better than no Handy around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.