Old Taylor: Here's your chance to own it!

BSS
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I wouldn't even buy it for $500, let alone $2 mil. I'd buy it for $1 and then go begging for government or foundation money to fix it up and offer tours and host events, etc, hoping I could cover the cost of maintainance. It's a beautiful facility, but it's never going to be profitable.

It's a beautiful facility, but it's never going to be profitable.

Why not? (having never seen the site, I'm just curious.....:grin:)

Just my ill-informed opinion, of course, but it's so big and so old that the cost of maintainence and taxes would be prohibitive. Even if the plan were to re-open it as a large-scale distillery, it would be so expensive to get it back into shape that it would be cheaper to build a new one.

What Old Taylor needs is a sugar daddy, someone with a lot of money, a desire to preserve an important piece of Kentucky, American, and liquor industry history, and no need to make money from the enterprise. That's the reality.

Consider:

The property has been bought and sold multiple times since Beam acquired it from National Distillers in 1987. Each owner has extracted something value. None has put any value back in.

The buildings are total ruins, inside and out. Basic maintenance, like roof repair, has not been done.

The location isn't very desirable. It's served by a poor road that is unlikely to be improved. Low elevation, high humidity and poor air circulation make it less than ideal for whiskey aging.

No intellectual property is attached to the real property. It's the site of the Old Taylor Distillery but the Old Taylor brand name is owned by Buffalo Trace.

What Old Taylor needs is a sugar daddy, someone with a lot of money, a desire to preserve an important piece of Kentucky, American, and liquor industry history, and no need to make money from the enterprise. That's the reality.

Consider:

The property has been bought and sold multiple times since Beam acquired it from National Distillers in 1987. Each owner has extracted something value. None has put any value back in.

The buildings are total ruins, inside and out. Basic maintenance, like roof repair, has not been done.

The location isn't very desirable. It's served by a poor road that is unlikely to be improved. Low elevation, high humidity and poor air circulation make it less than ideal for whiskey aging.

No intellectual property is attached to the real property. It's the site of the Old Taylor Distillery but the Old Taylor brand name is owned by Buffalo Trace.

I have no reason to doubt Chuck's account of the condition of the Old Taylor property. Can't distill, can't age and can't get to it easily. Why is it up for sale for 1.9 million?

The buildings are in sad condition.

I would think it would have to be a project like Woodford Reserve. Huge company that's willing to spend a ton of money to revive it for what some would call promotional\marketing reasons. But I don't see that happening.

I don't think access to it is that much worse that Woodford Reserve.

Heey I've been there. Creepy as hell at night... I'll throw in $5.

But seriously I agree with what's been said. It's a cool history and place in general, but like they said, that place is ROUGH. Those pictures make it look halfway decent compared to what it's like, at least last time I saw it.

• 3 weeks later...

Michter's is for sale in Schaefferstown too. Though it's in about the same shape as Old Taylor, the majority of the main distilling equipment is intact and is in salvageable shape.

Yep. Column still, condensers, doubler, and all related piping. But good luck trying to move any of it (hence why it's still there!).

• 11 months later...

I drove by Old Taylor on the way to Woodford for a tour last week. It's creepy all right. But not even half as creepy as the Old Crow distillery that's adjacent to it. It looks like the Addams family owned a distillery.

This property has been on the market for some time, it was magnificent at one time, the spring there is remarkable. Hopefully, the right person or entity will gain custody of this property and properly preserve it.

There's probably not much for Versailles or Woodford County to gain by having it operational again. WR brings in people passing through, and a second distillery won't get people stay overnight with Frankfort so close. An old distillery a half hour west of Clermont or Northeast of Frankfort toward Cincy would have a better shot of their community helping to expand the trail their way.

• 5 months later...

Stopped by there on Saturday and according to the Guy in the Red Truck who is watching over the property, a lawyer in Atlanta has expressed an interest in Old Taylor and will be coming to see it soon. We'll see if anything comes of that.

Well we do have a lawyer from Atlanta...last I heard he was browsing the Bardstown Kroger whiskey shelves :grin:.

Well we do have a lawyer from Atlanta...last I heard he was browsing the Bardstown Kroger whiskey shelves :grin:.

• 2 weeks later...

A question for the bourbon historians among us:

Was the Old Taylor distillery designed and built with tourists and visitors in mind? And was the "castle" building used for bourbon production, or was it more of a showpiece? The "castle" building is, even after decades of neglect, still quite terrific and I can only imagine how spectacular it looked in the heyday of the company.

Thanks.

Remember that Taylor had been involved in probably a dozen distilleries by the time he started on Old Taylor, including the Old Crow place next door, and what is now Buffalo Trace. He wasn't thinking tourists in the sense that we do but customers and dignitaries. He was very big in local (Frankfort) and state politics so it may have been self-serving in that sense too. After the place was built he would have a big, annual Derby party on the grounds and comissioned a private train to get people there. His son had had a very utilitarian distillery on the site, which he demolished and replaced with Old Taylor. There was a graduate student at UK who did extensive research on the place, but then disappeared taking her work with her. (Maybe someone can see if her dissertation is in the UK library. I can supply her name if you need it.) She discovered that it was built later than claimed, during the first years of the 20th century. Part of the logic may have been to make the industry look more respectable, to offset the growing pressure of the Temperance Movement.

Anyway, I think he built it to crown his career and leave a legacy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.