Four Loko hysteria

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If I were the Kennedy's I'd stockpile a bunch in ships, just offshore and wait for the Four Loko Repeal Day.

My children could run for president.

If I were the Kennedy's I'd stockpile a bunch in ships, just offshore and wait for the Four Loko Repeal Day.

My children could run for president.

You mean to tell me that story is true?

The fine lawmakers in Washington State, and all other for that matter should recall that the best way to get young college peeps to pay attention is to tell them that they can't do something.

Works on old codgers too.....That's how I wound up with 5 AK style rifles, 4 ARs, and an FN-FAL; 'cause Billie Bob tried to tell me I couldn't :rolleyes:

To an extent I tend to be a Darwinist on many of these type things, you can't prevent stupid; if not Four Loko it WILL be something else, it always is.

Works on old codgers too.....That's how I wound up with 5 AK style rifles, 4 ARs, and an FN-FAL; 'cause Billie Bob tried to tell me I couldn't :rolleyes:

Incandescent light bulbs, freon, pliobond (which I was mistakenly told was being taken of the market by the EPA) Baby Faces 50 SPF sun screen when it looked like Big Brother might indirectly prevent the marketing of high SPF sun screen by preventing the use of SPF numbers above X. Winchester's Black Talon ammo, reloading components.............

You name it, if some nannystate jackwad in government banned it, talked about banning it or badmouthed it, chances are I stockpiled it at one time or another. But I won't be running out and buying any Four Loko.

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the impending ban, my girlfriend and her good friend thought it would be a good idea to pick up a few cans of Four Loko and down them while playing poker the other night. Needless to say, they got hammered. Three cans between them, and both of them ended up throwing up at some point. I tried all three flavors, and they were horrible. Good times.....but no one was arrested.

Three cans between them, and both of them ended up throwing up at some point.

Good times.....but no one was arrested.

I'd like to take this time to tell you a short parable about the evils of poor judgement and alcohol. Several decades ago I found myself at the position of attention, head and eyes forward, chin up, chest out, arms straight by my side, thumbs straight providing cover for my carefully and expertly curled fingers. I might add my arse was exerting about 300 psi of clenching pressure as the Sergeant Major welcomed me and several hundred other soldiers to Germany on the tarmac of Rhein Main Airbase.

In a clear and concise manner, the Sergeant Major warned us of the dangers of German beer and our duty to stay sober during duty hours. After a while we were placed on buses and sent hither and yon to the many US Kasernes scattered about the Fatherland.

As soon as I mounted Der Bus and the door was shut, the driver announced he had Dopple Bock Beer for sale for one dollar US. There were many takers and many of the takers came back for more. Half-way to our destination in Augsburg, the driver mercifully stopped on the autobahn to let us water the countryside as was the German custom to do. One shy soldier stepped into the bushes to be discrete and fell 30 feet down the cliff to the street below which happened to be an entrance ramp to the autobahn.

The driver and a few sober (very few) joes jumped on the bus and drove headlong into accelerating traffic to retrieve the fallen comrade. His uniform was torn to shreds, his highly spit-shined shoes were scuffed and his face was torn to shreds by the branches he met on the way down.

To be brief, the soldier was given non-judicial punishment which included the loss of rank, half a months pay for two months, two weeks confinement and two weeks of labor at the maniacal hands of the company First Sergeant. He had to buy a new uniform and shoes. He was thrilled to be in Germany and was forever enamored of the stupefying power of 18% ABV beer.

The moral of the story might be when given an opportunity to use bad judgement most will. The warnings are meaningless. The damage after the fact, irrelevant at the moment of sin. There is always time enough for regret later. In the mean time, there is a big ole bunch of money to be made.

I don't get it. Is there a lesson to be learned? Other than not to be an idiot, of course.

Actually, I think you did get it. The lesson might be you can legislate stupidity with military precision but a percentage of the exploratory inclined population will still break the anti-stupid laws and if the enjoyment of breaking the law outweighs the punishment, the behavior will get elevated to a fine social endeavor. The suppliers of the resource required to act stupidly will make loads of money. Everyone is happy and the enforcers have job security as long as stupidity endures.

Caveat; The ideas presented in this post were solely based on the shallow opinion of the author. No facts, figures, or statistics were analyzed, researched, or investigated. Any similarities to current or past SB members is solely coincidental. No animals were harmed during the development of the afore mentioned shallow opinion however some living plant material was plumb wrecked and at least one human was bruised, battered, and torn during the actual event that formed the author's shallow and baseless opinion.

Dan posts always stand for the proposition that nothing is ever as simple and straightforward as we'd like. He's right.

Society's choice is either to let people make stupid mistakes, consequences and all, or restrict the freedom of everyone to prevent the abuses of a few. I support the former, many people support the latter, and where alcohol is concerned, people don't line up along the usual lines of more regulation/less freedom vs. less regulation/more freedom.

Four Loko is a Chicago company (the product is made under contract in Pennsylvania). There is a big liquor store near Wrigley Field that has its entire exterior wall painted with the Four Loko logo.

I can't tell you how many people I know who would never ordinarily drink something like Four Loko but have tried it because of all the publicity. Maybe the politicians will eventually kill it but, in the meantime, the guys who own it are making a fortune, thanks to the 'hysteria.'

To me, the takeaway from all this is that we, as a society, do a piss poor job of teaching people about alcohol and the main problem is that the people in control of the message are determined to lie in the interest of protecting people from themselves rather than telling the truth and hoping for the best. The trouble surrounding Four Loko is a manifestation of what happens when this dishonest approach to alcohol education reinforces myths that encourage risky behavior.

Let the anti-alcohol idiots tilt at this. It shows what fools they really are, if there was ever any doubt. This stuff is way too expensive to be abused effectively.

Binny's has it at the checkout, because as a novelty it's a good impulse purchase. Recently I was in line behind three young guys -- early 20s probably -- and they were buying for a party. You know, the usual buy for young guys buying for a party -- handles of Captain Morgan Rum, Skyy Vodka and Jack Daniel's. They were being loud and obnoxious, egging each other on, pumping each other up, showing off for each other -- at some point it's like observing chimps -- when one of them noticed the alcohol-infused whipped cream. They picked it up, passed it around, talked it up, then put it back because of the price. Nice idea and at $2 - $3 they might have bought it, but I think it was $7.99 or $8.99 and at that price, no sale.

I predict Four Loko will remove the stimulants and continue to be just as popular because (a) it's customers are morons and won't know anything has changed and (B) it still delivers what they want -- a very favorable alcohol-to-price ratio in a sweet, fruity, soda pop tasting format. I predict that the three Buckeyes behind Fushion Projects will continue to enjoy a very black bottom line.

I predict that the three Buckeyes behind Fushion Projects will continue to enjoy a very black bottom line.

Buckeyes? That figures.

And all they ever do is run off tackle.

They are always near the top lately so good enough is good enough.

They are always near the top lately so good enough is good enough.

"Near" is the operative word, here. ;)

"Near" is the operative word, here. ;)

LOL. I almost capitolized 'near'. Things would definitely look up if the SEC would go away. With their speed and flashy forward passing all the time.

This week the distbutor was picking up Four Loko from the retailers.

But we got lucky, A-B's Tilt doesn't have any caffine and we have been filling the shelves where the Four Loko's have left it empty.

This all goes back to appreciation of products that take time and effort/skill and desire to make...

THis is really all about education, but yes people need to sow their "wild oats" so to speak and make their mistakes and so forth (don't tell me you've all been there, someone expunging on your 67 Chevy??? well some of us are dating themselves aren't they :) )

This when it boils down to it, is a much ado about NOTHING...

Hey you know me I stay the heck away from the politics and off topic forums as it its....

• 4 weeks later...

These are sharp people. Create more buzz. Create immediate desire. Make it easy. Ride this train, baby! Here's the next move...

http://www.packagingdigest.com/article/512160-Four_Loko_XXXX_Limited_Edition_Rotating_flavors_but_not_UPCs.php

The reaping season is short. Make hay while the sun's out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.