The SB Agave Spirits Thread-- What are you drinking?

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wade,

Give BF a chance with Herradura. The Herradura family sold to BF because they wanted another family-run company. BF has said they're not looking to change anything at the distillery. Their emphasis is on marketing it better up here. I have also heard from independent sources that Herradura is one of the more highly regarded producers.

Agreed. I got to sample a Reposado from them yesterday that was bottled special for a local store. After its regular barrel time, it got a secondary short term aging in a new toasted barrel.

I never have been too much of a fan of tequila, and granted, haven't had a huge sampling of different varieties, but man, this really was a eye opener. :shocked: Amazingly good. A candidate for sipping neat, it would be a shame to mix it with anything.

I know it will be around there for awhile, and might have to go and get one.

B

Picked up a bottle of Hacienda De Chihuahua Sotol Plata - it's alright. $20 at Goody Goody. It tastes a bit like Camarena, but nowhere near as smooth.

I'd almost describe it as Gin like - lots of botanical effects, but without the headache (for me) inducing qualities of the Gin odor.

Lower proof than I'm used to (76) and for being clear, it's mighty flavorful and tasty. It's bitter to be sure, and a bit earthy, metallic & smokey. I'll sip it again tonight - but first blush reaction was it's quite a bit better than the majority of Tequilas I've had even at 2x-3x the price.

Unique, but clearly in the Tequila family!

FWIW: Hacienda De Chihuahua appears to be the only brand available in North Texas. Anybody know of any others? I'll likely grab a Resposado or Anejo of the Hacienda - depending on suggestions from you kind folks.

76 proof Tequila? Not in these United States. It has to be at least 80. I'm not saying you don't have a bottle of something that's 76 proof, it's just not Tequila.

(If you bought it outside the U.S., all bets are off.)

76 proof Tequila? Not in these United States. It has to be at least 80. I'm not saying you don't have a bottle of something that's 76 proof, it's just not Tequila.

It's not Tequila - it's Sotol. It's 38%, or 76 proof.

It's still good, but lighter on alcohol than I'd like. Not watery at all - just not as potent as I'd prefer

I've had quite a bit of trouble going back to good Tequilas after getting hooked on good Mezcal. As most of us bourbonites are suckers for a big flavor, you should try out a Del Maguey Mezcal or the like. A whole lot more going on in the glass compared to pretty much every Tequila I've had.

You never have to go far to trip over Sazerac. Hacienda De Chihuahua Sotol is a Sazerac product, through its Gemini division. Still can't explain how it's 38% ABV. Either it's not for sale in the U.S. or it's not a straight spirit and is instead some kind of 'distilled spirit specialty.'

Del Maguey Mezcal is also Gemini.

Has anybody had agavales anejo tequila? 100 percent blue agave for 13 bucks a liter here. I was leary because of the price, but I got it anyway. Boy was I pleased. Better than the stuff 3 times the price. Great straight or in a mixed drink. I have had sotol and it is great. One interesting note is the best tequila and the best sugar, sour corn based white lightning from south alabama and south missisippi taste almost identical. I think that is must be the use of wild yeast.

Hornitos with Mexican food last night. Nothing fancy--just good, old fashioned tequila the way your (Mexican friend's) grandfather drank it.

I decided to stock up on 7 Leguas Blanco; bought a 6 pack for $123.

Bought a bottle of Real de Jalpa Reposado Mezcal ($20 and recommended by the manager - a Tequila buff). It's not bad... A good buy, all things considered.

Nice flavors, good balance, nice smoke & some fruit, too. I think I prefer Reposodos and Anejos, however - could be the whisk(e)y buff in me looking for those wood influences to round it out, the silvers I've had have left me wanting more... so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Can any Minnesota SBers recommend a liquor store with a decent selection? Specifcally for mezcals... I see Monte Alban and precious little else.

Fortunately decent tequila is not that hard to come by.

• 2 weeks later...
Could be the whisk(e)y buff in me looking for those wood influences to round it out, the silvers I've had have left me wanting more... so far.

I agree - I need the oak, vanilla and tannins to get the most out of my booze.

To that end, I recently picked up a repasado and am aging it further in my own heavily charred mini-barrel to see what comes out!

Given that soooo much of the whisk(e)y flavor comes from wood, I have to think that Tequila would do equally as well further aged... but then again, why isn't somebody already doing "aged Tequila" if that's true?

Oh well, worst case I get some nice, woody, smooth tequila - and then some neat tequila after-flavors to finish a bourbon or something in...?

Enjoying some Cuervo Anejo I picked up a couple yrs. ago. It's the hand-blown bottle with the wax seal and the cork hanging off the side (at least before I opened it). I came across a stash of these a while ago. Probably shoulda picked up more.

• 1 month later...
I agree - I need the oak, vanilla and tannins to get the most out of my booze.

To that end, I recently picked up a repasado and am aging it further in my own heavily charred mini-barrel to see what comes out!

Given that soooo much of the whisk(e)y flavor comes from wood, I have to think that Tequila would do equally as well further aged... but then again, why isn't somebody already doing "aged Tequila" if that's true?

Oh well, worst case I get some nice, woody, smooth tequila - and then some neat tequila after-flavors to finish a bourbon or something in...?

They are already doing aged tequila, it's called anejo (aged more than 1 year) and extra anejo (aged more than 3 years). Generally, you don't see much tequila aged more than 5 years, as tequila ages very quickly and has a much higher angel's share compared to whiskey when aged for the same period.

Brands that I would recommend:

El Tesoro

Casa Noble

Siete Leguas

Fortaleza

Siembra Azul

The last two are fairly new, both produced by people that care. In fact, Fortaleza refuses to increase production, even though the demand is high, as they don't want quality to suffer. I haven't had the ocho, but have constantly heard good things about it.

Most of the new expensive brands on the market should be avoided. They're just marketing-crazed inferior products like vodka. If are a lot of decent cheap 100% agave brands out there under $30, but they are brands you have never heard of before. But they are not all good, so try to stick to those you have never heard of.

Lastly, in my opinion, old classics like Herradura, Chinaco, Gran Centenario, and Don Julio have pushed production to such a degree that the quality is inconsistent and I wouldn't trust picking up a bottle of any of these.

• 1 month later...

Had some of the KAH day of the dead blanco tequila. First time I've really had tequila by itself and not mixed into some kind of cocktail. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was taco night.......had a couple margaritas made with Hurrradura reposado..... 2-1-1 formula

I realy wish I could find El Tesoro around here. When I do, at one particular HY-Vee, the blanco is priced at fifty bux the same price as the Anejo (what's up with that?). And the last time I went down to Peoria, Frier Tucks didn't have any of their line.

I recently had some Del Maguey Chichicapa - wow was it good.

Set out on a quest to find some - with no luck so far, but in the process I discovered - and picked up a bottle of - Sombra.

Not as over the top smokey as Del Maguey (which could give just about any Islay Scotch a run for its money), but close - a more subdued smoke, but a bigger, more robust flavor to go along with it.

Here locally it's about $35, half the price of the Del Maguey I was after - and honestly, it's nearly as good - or maybe just as good? I see the retail price is supposed to be closer to $50, however - but it's still a good buy at that point.

Very spicey - lots of black pepper bite, a citrus/mint-type component (basil or even cilantro?), maybe some charred metal or burned earth, and a nice mesquite-smoke finish, with some smoke throughout (on the nose, palate also, but strongest on the finish).

I haven't mixed it with anything yet - just drinking it straight. It's 45%, which is nice, a little splash/drop of water helps open it up and enhances the smoke.

Anybody else try Sombra and have thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

I am drinking some Monte Alban Mezcal today.

This is actually not a bad mezcal at all, despite a lot of reviews on the net comparing it to diesel fuel. Tastings.com gave it a score of 85 and after drinking it for a couple weeks I'm inclined to agree that it is not bad...at all. Along with some Cointreau, it also makes a delicious Oaxacan margarita, or "smoky rita," as I call them.

It's 100% agave with a slight golden color. The nose is very smoky and the taste is quite nice, a bit salty perhaps but overall a very creamy mouthfeel. It goes very well with carnitas, enchiladas, frijoles and other Tex-Mex specialties, cutting the greasiness of Tex-Mex cuisine but not being out-of-place with the food.

Overall, a nice drink without the expense of the higher-quality (and more expensive) single village mezcals.

Last night at a local watering hole (shout out to The Whiskey Cake) I had an outstanding drink:

Muddle Red Bell Pepper (made nearly an ounce of "juice") and muddled/slapped Basil that was strained so no "bits" got in

A big squirt of Agave Syrup

Lemon Juice

Muddled slice of Jalapeno pepper

Smacked Basil leaves

Big shot of Sombra Mescal

Mouth-watering and savory - really great drink. The jalapeno slice put it over the top in terms of "mmmmm" - but even without it was still great.

Poor bartender probably put his arm out muddling all the bell pepper, but had the idea that perhaps a few drops of concentrated beef bullion would help it get more punch? I'm not sure, but it's a neat idea... however, it was quite good as-is.

Really good - highly recommend it!

I am drinking some Monte Alban Mezcal today.

This is actually not a bad mezcal at all, despite a lot of reviews on the net comparing it to diesel fuel. Tastings.com gave it a score of 85 and after drinking it for a couple weeks I'm inclined to agree that it is not bad...at all. Along with some Cointreau, it also makes a delicious Oaxacan margarita, or "smoky rita," as I call them.

It's 100% agave with a slight golden color. The nose is very smoky and the taste is quite nice, a bit salty perhaps but overall a very creamy mouthfeel. It goes very well with carnitas, enchiladas, frijoles and other Tex-Mex specialties, cutting the greasiness of Tex-Mex cuisine but not being out-of-place with the food.

Overall, a nice drink without the expense of the higher-quality (and more expensive) single village mezcals.

I'm a big fan of Monte Alban, if for no other reason than it is widely available and reasonably priced. It is pretty good for what it is, I think.

Last night at a local watering hole (shout out to The Whiskey Cake) I had an outstanding drink:

Muddle Red Bell Pepper (made nearly an ounce of "juice") and muddled/slapped Basil that was strained so no "bits" got in

A big squirt of Agave Syrup

Lemon Juice

Muddled slice of Jalapeno pepper

Smacked Basil leaves

Big shot of Sombra Mescal

Mouth-watering and savory - really great drink. The jalapeno slice put it over the top in terms of "mmmmm" - but even without it was still great.

Poor bartender probably put his arm out muddling all the bell pepper, but had the idea that perhaps a few drops of concentrated beef bullion would help it get more punch? I'm not sure, but it's a neat idea... however, it was quite good as-is.

Really good - highly recommend it!

Sounds interesting, although I'm shocked by the use of lemon rather than lime.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.