What bourbon do you regret not buying?

NorCalBoozer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I regret not picking up some bottles of a special S/W Van Winkle bourbon bottling for a retailer.

I believe it was a 17 or 18 y.o and high proof, like 118 or so....it was at an online retailer, can't remember which one exactly, Binnys or Sams or Shoppers Vineyard.

Anyway I saw this stuff in stock for many months, it didn't seem to move. It was pretty expensive at that time, maybe around $100/bottle. I was saving up money to try and get a few bottles...went back when I finally could afford it and it was all gone : (

off the top of my head, i regret not getting a case of the fox 90 proof when I was in VA last year.

I'm sure I can come up with some more..

This is a great topic, especially for noobs like me. I haven't been around long enough to regret much, but to some extent hearing about people's regrets might (slightly) take the sting away from hearing about Fort Knox-ian bunkers.

When I first glanced at the title of this thread I was going to scream out REBEL YELL! Then, I noticed the word "not.":rolleyes:

Off the top of my head I can think of three:

Abraham Bowman barrel strength rye- I've read that this may be available again soon in a new batch

ORVW 10yr 107- could have bought a case for cheap a couple years ago

A few BTEC

I do regret not buying a bottle of Pappy 15 for $79.99. (I had just snatched 4 bottles at $49.99, and I felt the retailer was gouging.) Nowadays, I would just buy any 15 I see, whether $50 or $80, since it's seems harder than ever to procure. :hot:

Pretty easy for me.

E&R 17yr old - very very tasty stuff

Weller Centennial - got some, not as much as I could have

4R120th - same as Centennial

4RMariage 2008 - the missing hole in my 4RsmB series.

4R40th - the missing hole in my 4RSB series.

4R Tony & Oscar - one of the best tasting and best deals ever.

VWFRR - passed on a case 2 years ago, Tommyboy had an extra I didn't grab last Fall, I left and forgot about it.

I'll stop now, I'm just getting sad at this point. Or maybe what I'm feeling is more like the 'nervosa blues'.

I regret not picking up some bottles of a special S/W Van Winkle bourbon bottling for a retailer.

I believe it was a 17 or 18 y.o and high proof, like 118 or so....it was at an online retailer, can't remember which one exactly, Binnys or Sams or Shoppers Vineyard.

Anyway I saw this stuff in stock for many months, it didn't seem to move. It was pretty expensive at that time, maybe around $100/bottle. I was saving up money to try and get a few bottles...went back when I finally could afford it and it was all gone : (

It was from Binny's and it was 18 YO and the proof was about right - around 118. It was over $100; maybe $115 and was the most expensive bottle of bourbon that I had purchased (probably still true). It was good, not great - you did not miss out on too much.

Pretty easy for me.

4RMariage 2008 - the missing hole in my 4RsmB series.

I opened up a bottle of this this past weekend for our Houston Bourbon get together. It sat on the table practically untouched. Oh well...more for me to enjoy and I do think this juice is fantastic.

I've got a few.....

A 2nd 2007 Pappy 23 when I had the chance

The Pappy 20 bottle I stood in front of at Toddys in KY - said I'd go back before I flew home and never got back

The Sam Houston bottle I saw back in my early days of bourbon and didn't realise it had been pulled from the Aussie market.

The AH Hirsch red wax bottles that were < $130 at Nicks.com for months

A 2nd Wild Turkey American Spirit

Pretty easy for me.

4R120th - same as Centennial

4R40th - the missing hole in my 4RSB series.

If I lived closer I'd be happy to help you with those.... I've got one of each and no real interest in opening them.

I bought two but regret that I left 4 Rathskeller Rye's on the shelf.

Another Parkers Heritage first release.

Left a lot of Fox 90 proof on the shelf in Ga. and went back for them later but they were gone.

All the VWFRR I passed up at $39.

Wild Turkey Tribute.

3 bottles of WT RR101 - I kept waiting for "the next" payday...and the day I went in to get them they were gone. And no more coming.

Left a lot of Fox 90 proof on the shelf in Ga. and went back for them later but they were gone...

I like the presentation of the Fox and appreciate that it was still in production until recently thanks to good bourbon stewardship by Sazerac. To me, it was like a very light BT juice.

I think the Bowman rye cask strength is the first recent product under the VG llabel that seems to me worth seeking out for the juice. The three underproof Bowman's I've had reminded me, like the Fox, of a Russells Reserve release compared to the more substantial Wild Turkey standard product.

I regret not getting more of that excellent Party Source Bowman rye bottling. Maybe that label will get BT back onto the radar of enthusiast barrel purchasers. It would get me to pick up the phone.

If I lived closer I'd be happy to help you with those.... I've got one of each and no real interest in opening them.

Thanks for the kind thought. I look forward to meeting you next year.

I opened up a bottle of this this past weekend for our Houston Bourbon get together. It sat on the table practically untouched. Oh well...more for me to enjoy and I do think this juice is fantastic.

Really? I enjoyed doing a side by side of the 2008 - 2009 at Doug's last year. Doug said that he preferred the 2008 and thought they hit it out of the park with that year. I actually prefer the 2009 but If I saw a 2008 on the table I'd make a beeline for that sucker.

As you say Wade, more for you!

Abraham Bowman barrel strength rye- I've read that this may be available again soon in a new batch

Yea, I didn't pull the trigger on this one either and regretted it. Happy to hear 2 more barrels have been picked already, I just hope they will get them pretty soon.

There's so many things I could list, but in all honesty having more bottles than I'd likely drink in my lifetime means I shouldn't regret NOT buying any. That said I do regret not buying WL Weller 19 when an international website listed it.

local store had 3 bottles of PVW20 for at least 6 months... just as I decided I would buy one they sold out in one weekend :smiley_acbt:

Many. FR Mariage is one for sure. Some Hirsch. Some others. Money is always an issue though. Gotta prioritize.

Bought a FR Mariage 2009. The store had 3.....I should have picked up all of them.:cry:

Passing on an ORVW 23 decanter.....hopefully it's still there in a week or so when I get my bowling winnings. :fingerscrossed:

Yea we had that ORVW 23 set for awhile last year at a store I worked at. Stared at it everyday, wishing... haha.

Yea we had that ORVW 23 set for awhile last year at a store I worked at. Stared at it everyday, wishing... haha.

I have 2 located. One wants 459 and the other 389. Instead of picking the one for 389 up, I picked up all of their PVW spring allocation.

Can't think of any I didn't buy that I could afford.

There are ones I would have bought more of if I could have afforded to spend the money. AHH 16 BW, 2005 Saz 18 (yes I know hat's not a bourbon), OFBB 2007.

And, of course, all those that were way beyond reach, like, say, ORVW 23/114. Strictly speaking, this is not a case of regretting not buying the bourbon, but of not being able to afford it.

Not so much a case of poverty as having to make decisions about how to allocate the available disposable income. Part of the reason I didn't buy more of the 2007 OFBB is because I was buying a lot of 2005 vintage Oregon Pinot Noir before its availability window closed.

Many times I've passed by PVW15 and 20 because I didn't want to spend too much. Totally should have just taken the plunge then.

Also regret not travelling a great distance to a specific store to get a bottle of PVW13. Still can't find a bottle for the life of me.

I passed a whole shelf of Mariage 2008 back in 2008 because I didn't know it was any good. Fail.

Cracked my last VG90 right before I heard they were going "out of print". I'd love to have just one more bottle to keep unopened in my collection.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.