What Do You Think Of Wild Turkey Today?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As someone brand new to bourbon, I find this interesting. My assumption is WT did not always have these pricier brands (or at least did not bottle them in sufficient quantity to affect WT101 stock).

Grading meat by marbling and maturity makes sense to me. It would seem the master distillers are looking for a profile and sorting out the whiskey by grade.

With this being a relatively new practice (that is an apparent/alleged "downgrading" of WT101) and assuming WT101 is their bestseller. Would this be good for the long term health of the brand?

also... does Evan Williams do this? I mean to ask: Were I to go looking for "old" EW black label, would the old stuff be better than what I'm drinking right now?

Well by relatively new we are still talking about 16 years ago, as it was around 1995 that Turkey aficionados report the drop off in taste. As to the health of the brand, I have no objective numbers but I would bet it has not had any effect at all. a good indication is that seven here have already posted that current 101 is "good", "likes", "no difference", "pretty good", "very good", "enjoy a lot" and "it's still fine". That it's an iconic brand certainly would seem to allow its owners to play around with it more and not suffer any ill effects. Does Jack Daniels sell any less at 80 proof? Corporations excel at monitoring brand strength and loyalty... taste be damned.

I have some older Turkey 101 and 86.8 that is just wonderful Bourbon. Both are from the late 80's to early 90's. Also have an older 80 proof that isn't so great.

In blind taste tests where we have included current WT101 with similar priced pours it always scored at or near the bottom. Recently we tasted the 101, the new 81 and an older 86.8. The 86.8 was the favorite by a large measure followed by the new 81 proof and the 101 was a very distant third.

I like some the premium Turkey's like American Spirit and Tradition. The Tribute (if you can find it) is some fabulous Bourbon. Kentucky Spirit is some of my favorite Bourbon with the very first Pewter tops and the dark juice in the smooth dark tops of '92 thru '95 being the choicest of the bunch. I don't enjoy the current Kentucky Spirit at all. Every one I have tasted seems young, hot, not very complex and for those reasons overpriced.

My feeling is that the current 101 is a great mixer with coke but won't make my sipper list. Both the RR Rye and Bourbon are good pours but probably overpriced. The current WT Rye is a good pour and a great value. The current 80 is being phased out so it doesn't count and I have liked both samples of the new 81 I have tasted. Lets hope similar improvements are in store for the 101. It's probably too much to ask that it be as good as the older stuff - but we can hope.

Just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

I look forward to the 86.8.

I wonder to what extent bottle shapes and names are decided by focus groups, and I wonder how those focus groups are chosen.

My only try with the 101 was a couple of years ago at a bar and I did not like it at all however the Rare Breed I pick up whenever it is on sale and I need new bottles of bourbon

also... does Evan Williams do this? I mean to ask: Were I to go looking for "old" EW black label, would the old stuff be better than what I'm drinking right now?

You bet. See if you can find some of the 7 year old on a shelf somewhere.

I've got half a bottle of the WT101 8yo, a small stash of RR101, and a few private barrel KS. I think I'm OK for a while.

Taste is so subjective. Here goes:

RR10: It's not bad bourbon, but the fact that this used to be bottled at 101 will always tarnish it in these circles. (Never had it myself, but I keep hunting.)

Rare Breed: Love the stuff, most of the time. Certain days it comes off a bit flat, but more often than not it's a truly great bourbon.

KS: Finally had this, but it was at a bar and I was already over-served. I do remember loving it, and at the time, declared it better than RB.:rolleyes: Who knows, but now I need to actually buy a bottle.

Current WT101: I do like the aggressive nature of this bourbon. It's consistent and iconic, for my tastes. (When Weller 12 is just not getting it done, turning to WT101 can really kick start your palate.)

12yr101 Gold Foil 1989: Found three bottles of this for around $60 and boy am I glad I did. LOVE the stuff. Touch of sweetness up front with a complex, long finish. Wow.:cool: :cool:

Late '80s 8yr 101: Friend of mine has a handle of this stuff and I try it anytime I'm there. Wonderful, and it makes me understand why seasoned Turkey drinkers shed a tear.

RRRye6yr: Hate this crap. Thin and hot.

WT101Rye: One of my favorite NAS Ryes, if not my favorite. That's right Ritt lovers, I said it.:lol:

There you go.

Hit or miss for me. I always have bottles of WT101 and WT Rye in the house but my last bottle of Kentucky Spirit was just "okay" and paled in comparison to my old pewter tops. Rare Breed, at least in my experience, has been more consistent and still ranks among my favorite affordable bourbons.

Put yourselves in their shoes. Wild Turkey's 'glut' problems probably were not as bad as those of many other producers, but they had them. By the late-80s, early-90s, they were probably putting whiskey much older than 8-years-old into 101, which still bore the 8-year age statement. They also had the lower proof expression, which was 86.8 proof at the time, the Wild Turkey Rye, a blend called Nichols, the liqueur, and that was it. That was the line. (This is from the 1988 edition of Michael Jackson's World Guide.)

Not long after that they dropped the age statement and rolled out Rare Breed, 12-year-old (subsequently discontinued), and Kentucky Spirit.

It's not hard to figure out. Beam had the Small Batch Collection by then, Blanton's was doing well. "Instead of putting all this 10- and 12-year-old whiskey we have into 101, let's create some new brands with higher price tags." Yes, the robbed Peter to pay Paul, but Paul proved to be a much better earner.

So I think the 101 is what it is. The point of this thread is that Turkey didn't make better whiskey back then, they just sold their best for less. Now you have to pay more to get the good stuff. We'd love if it had stayed like it was, but we're all grown-ups enough to know that couldn't happen.

Now you have to pay more to get the good stuff. We'd love if it had stayed like it was, but we're all grown-ups enough to know that couldn't happen.
But seems like they then robbed Peter to Pay Paul again RE: WTKS. WTKS is not what it used to be and that's a shame.

The only real comparison that I can make is on the the WTKS line and the current bottles are nowhere near as luxurious as ones from the pewter top era. It tastes like they are putting younger bourbon in the bottles and it just doesn't match up, though the new bottlings are still a decent pour.

I'm more than willing to hang around until the bourbon from new capacity expansion has time to age fully. As a Turkey fan, I'm hoping that there's enough capacity at the still and in the warehouse to release more aged and longer age stated bottlings.

But seems like they then robbed Peter to Pay Paul again RE: WTAS. WTAS is not what it used to be and that's a shame.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that WTAS was a one-off and not a continuously bottled product.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that WTAS was a one-off and not a continuously bottled product.

I also thought this.

That's what I thought. In fact, I thought Tradition had replaced it as the high end offering.

Yes, the WT website still shows the AS in the lineup, but it's waaaay out of date.

That's what I thought. In fact, I thought Tradition had replaced it as the high end offering.

Yes, the WT website still shows the AS in the lineup, but it's waaaay out of date.

Released in 2008/09 sometime if I am correct. And yes, it was limited to 24,000 bottles or so, worldwide.

I corrected my post.

In my haste I typed WTAS not WTKS. Same sentiment as Callmeox posted after my post. Sorry about the confusion.

I corrected my post.

In my haste I typed WTAS not WTKS. Same sentiment as Callmeox posted after my post. Sorry about the confusion.

That's what happens while PWDOJ...:)

And does anyone know how much 8 year age stated 101 is exported to Japan every year? It's better that nas 101 but still not close to the extra aged late 80's early 90's variety. Also, do they export age stated 101 to other countries than Japan?

Also, do they export age stated 101 to other countries than Japan?

Yes, pretty sure the 8 is available in Europe, maybe other places as well.

Direct from Wild Turkey Hill, here is the current U.S. lineup.

81 (not released yet)

Rare Breed

Kentucky Spirit

Wild Turkey Rye

Russell's Reserve

Russell's Reserve Rye

American Honey liqueur

Tradition, Tribute, and American Spirit were all one-offs.

i like it. out of the current lineup, i've had the 101, KS and RR and i like them all. i did find a handle of the 86.8 proof that i thought was excellent but i haven't had the "old" 101 yet so can't compare it to the current 101. i'm flying to narita shortly and hope to get some 12 yo there (and whatever else may be interesting) and it will be good to see what the current 12 yo tastes like.

currently, i can get a 750ml bottle of 101 for under $20. it is a great pour at that price. like others said, if what made the old 101 so great was older bourbon being sold as the base, 8 yo, well, how can you expect them to continue that?

...Their best is still great and still available, you just have to pay more to get it.

But that's just what I think. I started this thread to find out what you think. If you think of it, indicate in your post how long you've been drinking Wild Turkey.

Direct from Wild Turkey Hill, here is the current U.S. lineup.

81 (not released yet)

Rare Breed

Kentucky Spirit

Wild Turkey Rye

Russell's Reserve

Russell's Reserve Rye

American Honey liqueur

Tradition, Tribute, and American Spirit were all one-offs.

I've been drinking Wild Turkey about as long as I've been drinking bourbon -- which dates at least back to when you could still buy WT12 occasionally (at a reasonable price), and KY Spirit had a pewter stopper. I STILL won't pass a bottle of WT12 without taking a taste, if invited (and perhaps without an invite!).

I think, perhaps, they should call what they sell overseas Wild Turkey -- and what they sell domestically 'Tame' Turkey.:rolleyes:

...Kentucky Spirit is some of my favorite Bourbon with the very first Pewter tops and the dark juice in the smooth dark tops of '92 thru '95 being the choicest of the bunch...

Kentucky Spirit wasn't released until January 1995, with the first bottling runs in September 1994. Those, and many others afterward under the pewter cap, WERE superb.

...I'm more than willing to hang around until the bourbon from new capacity expansion has time to age fully. As a Turkey fan, I'm hoping that there's enough capacity at the still and in the warehouse to release more aged and longer age stated bottlings.

Me, I'm a free-market capitalist (well, I would be if I had any money:frown:), and I KNOW that market cycles are real (pending the denouement of the American people's Obama experiment) -- so, I'm just hoping to live till the next glut!:cool: :skep:

(I suspect, by then, I'll be of an age when hoarding for the future won't be a temptation!:grin:)

Actually -- and I may be wrong (I was once :rimshot: What! There's NO RIMSHOT smilie?!:bigeyes: ) -- I think when they released it they indicated it would be issued "periodically". Unfortunately, the length of the 'period' is up to WT.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.