What Do You Think Of Wild Turkey Today?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

{Can y'all tell I've not looked in on this thread till now? Sorry for the consecutivedlyness (is that right:skep:?)}

I am never too far away from Tim in evaluating special Wild Turkeys. I will say the the one offs like Tribute, American Spirit, Tradition, etc. although different were all very good IMO and pleased for different reasons.

Joe :usflag:

• 4 months later...

I figured I'd bump this thread instead of starting a new one to ask this question. I love the dark wooden top WTKS, but have never tried the pewter top. I find the light wooden top to be pretty good as well. I've sampled the Tradition, and thought it was noticably better than the dark wood WTKS. However, I didn't find it to be worth the $100 price tag.

Given this, can I assume that the American Spirit is similar to the Tradition? I'm seeing it being offered for ~$75, which I would consider a good price for the Tradition. For those that have had both, is the one year difference noticable?

I need some input here. I bought a bottle of Kentucky Spirit about 2 hours from my house and when I got home, I noticed a thick layer of white flakes on the bottom of the bottle. When I drank some, it tasted horrible. The whiskey was still clear, but it severely lacked flavor and was very bitter. I shook it up thinking maybe it had settled, but all it did was kick the white flakes all over the place and make it taste even more nasty. What's the deal? Biggest waste of $50. I'm pissed. REALLY pissed.

I need some input here. I bought a bottle of Kentucky Spirit about 2 hours from my house and when I got home, I noticed a thick layer of white flakes on the bottom of the bottle. When I drank some, it tasted horrible. The whiskey was still clear, but it severely lacked flavor and was very bitter. I shook it up thinking maybe it had settled, but all it did was kick the white flakes all over the place and make it taste even more nasty. What's the deal? Biggest waste of $50. I'm pissed. REALLY pissed.

No big deal. It happens. Call the retailer and tell him it will be coming back when you get down that way again. I'm sure they'll make everything right. If not, then be pissed.

Good point. One question though- what exactly is that white stuff? It looks like the stuff snow globes are full of. I noticed my other Wild Turkey bottles have some also, but no where near as much. And they taste fine. Could it be something coming out of the whiskey as it oxidizes? Can it be harmful to drink?

Most likely it is calcium. If they use the same water they mash with and it has calcium in it, when it hit the alcohol it will precipitate after a while. When you filter it it will get it. So either it did not get filtered right or if they use di water something was wrong there. But it should not make it taste bad.

I have several bottles each of WT101 8-year, old no. 8, and current WT101. The 8-year and Old No. 8 are far better than the current, IMHO. I was surprised to read in "The Whisky Advocate" (current issue) that current WT101 is only 4 years old per Russell. This explains it I think.

I have several bottles each of WT101 8-year, old no. 8, and current WT101. The 8-year and Old No. 8 are far better than the current, IMHO. I was surprised to read in "The Whisky Advocate" (current issue) that current WT101 is only 4 years old per Russell. This explains it I think.

I would venture to say someone got their facts wrong. When WT released the WT 81 they said the WT 80 was 4 years old and the new WT 81 would be older more in line with the WT101 like 6 to 7 yrs old. That the WT 101 was 7 to 8 years old.

John Hansell could you do a fact check on the article in question, please? Page 76 column 2 lines 1 & 2.

Isn't the 81 a blend of three different ages? Also it seems I have heard the same about the 101 - but younger set of ages.

Pretty sure that's what Jimmy said last week when he was visiting Tallahassee.

I thought I heard that WT 81 is just watered down 101.

Unlike the 80, the 80 was younger than 101.

I'm not impressed with my latest bottle of Rare Breed. Still working with it, letting it air ~ still unimpressed. But I have one more bottle of 2005 WTKS and it's working!

I've only been drinking Bourbon for 5 months now. WTRB 03 bottling is the only thing I've tried. $35 out the door in state controlled Ohio ..I like it very much, very robust.

Most likely it is calcium. If they use the same water they mash with and it has calcium in it, when it hit the alcohol it will precipitate after a while. When you filter it it will get it. So either it did not get filtered right or if they use di water something was wrong there. But it should not make it taste bad.

I can assure you this stuff tasted bad. It had almost no flavor to speak of and was thin and bitter. It didn't have the leathery thickness I've found in all the other WT products. I've noticed small amounts of white sediment in all of my WT bottles I have on my shelves. If the stuff didn't taste terrible, I would have drank it all anyway!

Like everybody else, I really enjoyed the mid-late 90s WT101. Ditto for the pewter top WTKS and my favorite; Russels Reserve 101.

Current WT101 isn't to my taste. I find it to be thin, hot, young. Great attributes, but not for whiskey.

Like everybody else, I really enjoyed the mid-late 90s WT101. Ditto for the pewter top WTKS and my favorite; Russels Reserve 101.

Current WT101 isn't to my taste. I find it to be thin, hot, young. Great attributes, but not for whiskey.

*Likewise on the mid-late 90 WT's. I had a 99' WTRB that was off-the-charts, incredible. Also had early-to-mid 00's that were very good. The latest? Nada.

Pewter Top WTKS is the best I ever had... done. I'd walk a hundred miles for another bottle. BB

^

"...I find it to be thin, hot, young. Great attributes, but not for whiskey."

Fall out of my chair funny! :lol: Well done!

:toast:

^

"...I find it to be thin, hot, young. Great attributes, but not for whiskey."

Fall out of my chair funny! :lol: Well done!

:toast:

yeah Joe...Matty does come up with some good one liners about once a year...glad you caught this one...check back next October for the next funny from him! :D

PS...thanks for blowing Jack and me off this Thursday night! ;)

According the WT Distillery tour, 101 is made of 6, 8, & 10 year barrels. I can tell from tasting it is not a 4 year and so should anyone else.

I drank 101 in the 80's but I don't remember the flavor after all this time. Then I got away from liquor and into beer then quit drinking entirely until a few years ago. Now I rarely drink anything but whiskey and I love WT products.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.