Jack's New Look.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Brown-Forman has changed the label for Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Brand because, as the press release says (I'm paraphrasing), "Mr. Jack would have wanted us to."

Some of the changes are interesting. Lem Motlow is gone. So is the population of Lynchburg. The statement "bottled at the distillery" is gone, perhaps because the distillery is a few miles away from the bottling house.

"Est. and Reg. in 1866" is gone, perhaps because the Federal government has no record of any such registration.

Interestingly, though, all of the claims removed from the label are still made in the press release, so they're not backing away from them, just taking them off the label.

Simplification is good and with Jack Daniel's now selling about half of its volume outside the USA, maybe all that extra stuff just raised questions that are hard for their overseas reps to answer, like how can a guy who's been dead for 64 years be your proprietor?

post-5-14489817307194_thumb.jpg

I see it is not longer "Quality" and it is no longer "Old Time"... that's it, I am no longer buying any more Jack Daniels.

Nothing like a label refresh to bolster sales.

Are Woodford Reserve and Old Forester next for a label refresh?

I can still win bar bets by betting Jack Daniels is not a bourbon and proving by saying show me where on the label you see the word bourbon.....

Now if the label said 90 proof, "Aged for 7 summers", and if it was less than $25, I might reach for it every blue moon.

Nothing like a label refresh to bolster sales.

Are Woodford Reserve and Old Forester next for a label refresh?

Hidden

I actually do miss the words "Old Time" and "Quality". I even miss the population statement. Everything else aside, it's an iconic piece of American pop art, and oughtn't to have been messed with.

post-6498-14489817309347_thumb.jpg

I see it is not longer "Quality" and it is no longer "Old Time"... that's it, I am no longer buying any more Jack Daniels.

Oh, Ben...don't be sore...what if we cut the proof down to 70 and throw in some cool tribal temporary tattoos for your lower back?? Huh?? :grin:

While I don't care for the whiskey, anyway, I prefer the old label. I like "old fashioned", and in the old days labels were cluttered with all sorts of proclamations and blurbs. Looks like it is just I, though.

Tim

I was so obsessed with the label changes I didn't even notice the new bottle.

The look they're going for seems to be modern old-fashioned, if that's possible.

Hmm, not sure I like it. The rounded shoulder seemed more graceful.

Gary

Yeah, the shoulders look sorta like a pagoda. The overall new look, though, reminds me of the new Beam Black package.

Sure cleaned things up, still keeping all the distinctions. Wont have me reaching for it any more often than little to never, but nice to see that the marketing crew didn't totally screw the pooch.

I saw the new bottle design at the store today. I like the bottle but they should have left the label alone!

Thomas

I doubt few people actually read many of the words on any label other than the proof statement. JD has a "shelf" look that can be picked out from a distance where one can't even read the words..... they have the image.. the words (other than the legal requirements) are just window dressing.....

I think the new label cheapens the look of the package. It is like they cheapened the whiskey when it dropped to 80 proof and now they bare minimum the label, all while steadily raising the price!

Thomas

I think the new label cheapens the look of the package. It is like they cheapened the whiskey when it dropped to 80 proof and now they bare minimum the label, all while steadily raising the price!

Thomas

Yep. JD wasn't half bad back in the day... now, I don't care for it at all. The SB expression not bad at all, though.

Thomas

And pairing that with removing "quality" from the label seems like an acknowledgement. Why would they be so honest? I have never met a marketing director that would remove something like "quality" without replacing it with a bigger claim, like "now even better":rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.