What are you STILL drinking right now

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Grandad BIB. I thought, when I first purchased this bottle, that it would be interesting to try some, but that it would soon make its way to the back of the cabinet. Not so! Lots of rye kick with a little peppermint and clove added for more spice. I think I am getting hints of green apples, or maybe pears. Not sure so I'll drink on 'till it comes to me grin.gif

I too am drinking the Weller Centennial 10 y.o. right now. And I agree with you about the maple flavor...I detect that too. This is one good wheater!

George T. Stagg Lite (aka, "Rock Hill Farms").

Does anyone else detect a strong family resemblance here?

I hadn't drunk RHF for quite a while because I was saving the last few ounces for possible comparison with other bourbons. Today's the day.

Someone here once called RHF "rocket fuel". However, compared to GTS it is quite gentle. I can flood my tongue with it without overloading my sensors. Doing the same thing with GTS would bring tears (not of joy) to my eyes.

Man, this stuff is good! I think I'll try a one-on-one with Kentucky Spirit while I still can.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave,

I take an opposite view. To me GTS tastes unlike most of the BT bourbons that share that green, earthy taste. I believe that Ken Webber stated that GTS is from Masbill #1, unlike RHF which is #2 IIRC. Even when I dilute my Stagg with a little water to bring down the proof, I don't get any resemblence. Of course I get strong similarities between RHF and ERSB, to which you have stated your disagreement.

Jeff,

I really need to do what you did -- add water to GTS -- and then revisit the matter in a side-by-side comparison.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Of course I get strong similarities between RHF and ERSB ...

CL,

That's an interesting observation. I'll have to look at to see if I get the maple impression next time around. I also think that the Weller Centennial is quite good!

Bob

Old Forester 100-proof.

I bought a 1.75L of this, Saturday. I have had it 5 of the past 6 evenings. I believe I have an "everyday pour". At $31 for the big bottle, that is the equivalent of about $13.30 per 750 ml. Not a bad deal for a pretty good whiskey.

Tim

Last evening, I had Jim Beam Black. I can't make up my mind with this one. Sometimes I think it's pretty decent, at other times I don't enjoy it. Last night, it was good.

Bob

It's like bologna and Hot Dogs, Pretty good if you're hungry , but not too good right after a nice TBone! grin.gif

Bobby( Eating more Bologna and Hot Dogs than Steak here lately!)C

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. What better to undwind with after a 5 mile run tonight? Just as good as ever! I think I could finish a marathon if I knew a bottle of KS would be waiting for me at the end grin.gif

The last of my first bottle of EWSB '93. This bottle has been good to me, so I'm sure I will pick up another. Might even try the '92, as it can still be easily found.

My first tastes of Old Charter Proprietors Reserve. There will be time fo a tasting later, so I will just say that it is quite enjoyable grin.gif .

TomC

I don't usually imbibe at lunch, but the other guys "forced" me to match their beers, so I had Knob Creek at my favorite bar (KC is the best they have).

On the way home, I stopped by the ABC store to add some local flavor to my liquor cabinet. I was draining too much of my out of state stock. I only meant to buy Old Forester 100, but there have been a few posts about Blanton's this week, and I haven't had it in a while, so I said, what the heck. It's sitting right beside me in a snifter now.

I showed my wife the "B" on the stopper, but she wasn't amused. She thought I was about to go off on a hunt to buy a bottle for each letter. Silly, girl. She doesn't realize that all I care about is what's IN THE BOTTLE, not what it looks like. cool.gif

Last night I had 17 year old Eagle Rare. The worrds that kept jumping in my head while drinking this were "polished" & "refined". . . this is one sophisticated drink.

TomC

I have only had a couple of drinks of this stuff, but I am very impressed. I see a bottle in my future soon. And now with word that its all bottled, I might have to bunker some. (I love "bunker" as a verb grin.gif )

Last night, I was looking in my mini-bunker for something a little different. Finally, I reached way in the back and pulled out my dwindling bottle of Old Grand Dad 114. Poured myself a stiff one on the rocks and sat down with my book.

It was so good. Very full bodied and flavorful, I enjoyed every drop. I wish I could just drive over to the ABC store and replace it, but I will have to go out of state again to get it.

I finished off my evening with a very small (about 1/2 oz) Grand Marnier 150th Anniversary. Yum.

Tim

The last drink from my Old Fitz 1849.

As I was taking the last couple of sips, it brought to mind ORVW 10/107 in spite of the difference in proof and probably in age, as well. I may have to pick up another bottle of the 1849 just so I can do a one-on-one comparison.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

No, not OFBB, but my birthday bourbon. I got a bottle of 16 yo Hirsch for my birthday today. grin.gif

Ok, I bought it two weeks ago in Chicago for myself for my wife to give it to me on my birthday. blush.gif It's not often that I go over $50/bottle, but this was one of those rare times.

I wanted to post my tasting impression, but I just wanted to relax and savor it. I didn't want to have to think. And I didn't want to drink more of it - I didn't want to put a big dent in it as it's my only bottle. I will say, though, that it does have a unique character. Also, it was much smoother and more mellow than I expected. I thoroughly enjoyed it. smile.gif

My wife also made me a very nice gift. She bought bourbon labels off Ebay, matted them, and framed them. She made two frames. Once we get them hung in my home office, I will snap a photo and share it with you.

After a weekend spent with the inlaws, where such an overt display of self indulgence would surely be frowned upon, I am having a glass of Weller 12yo and smoking a Punch Rothchild. I will state now and for the record that Weller 12yo is the best value bourbon in the world. No question!

Here are the two frames of bourbon labels my wife may for me for my birthday. She did a wonderful job, didn't she? smile.gif

post-120-14489811176599_thumb.jpg

Does that say Beans Best ? The pants rating is history, But that's got to be at least 4 or better! grin.gif

Bern's Best, Meadow Springs Distillery, Meadowlawn, KY.

Most of these labels are from various distillery names located in Meadowlawn, KY. There is some info in Sam Cecil's book on RD #39 in Meadowlawn and the brands produced there, some of which I have in these frames, e.g., John P. Dant, Old 1889. But, I haven't had time yet to decipher all the distillery names to see if they are all RD #39, though some are like Old Boone Distillery, Meadowlawn Distillery, and Old 1889 Distillery. These bourbon folks sure weaved a very tangled web that will take me some time to untangle.

The Ebay seller claimed that all these labels are original and not reproductions. RD #39 ceased operations in 1977, according to Sam Cecil, so it does seem plausible that the labels are authentic.

But, I really don't care if they are authentic or if they were on great bourbons. The labels are a great conversation piece and a view into part of bourbon history.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!