Poll: Top 5 Whiskeys

Henry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Bobby. Yes I met Sam for the first time at last year's Bourbon Festival and bought his second edition which he also autographed. He's a fine old gentleman.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Linn , Sam's a fine old gentleman indeed. I bought my copy of The Evolution of the Bourbon Industry in Kentucky from Flaget Nally at Oscar Getz whiskey Museum , on a whim actually. I started reading it and when I got to page 103 my grandfather is pictured at the bottom of the page. (Shorty Snellen) Along with Sam , Elmo Beam and others .It was taken at T W Samuels distillery .The picture is in the second edition but further up than page 103. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprized, I didn't know it was in there , what luck! I also have a copy of Bluegrass,Belles ,and Bourbon by Harry Harrison Kroll another great bourbon book, Sam mentions it at the beginning of his," Harry Harrison Kroll, a University of Tennessee professor wrote the most comprehensive book on the Kentucky Distilleries I have ever read...."

Bobby Cox

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's very cool Bobby. Your grandfather's photo is on page 109 of the second edition. Good shot too!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

• 1 month later...

who the heck knows if anyone will read this thread anymore but here is my favorites out of my limited tatings:

1. WT Kentucky Spirit

2. Blantons Single Barrel

3. Makers Mark

4. Evan Williams '90

5. Jack Daniel's single Barrel (I know its not bourbon, oh well)

• 1 month later...

This is just a silly post, but it would be awfully easy for it to become true:

1) Kentucky Spirit

2) Rare Breed

3) Russell's Reserve

4) Wild Turkey 101

5) Wild Turkey 80

Really, just kidding. I've never tasted Ky Spirit or WT 80. But, RB, RR, and 101 are so good, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Ky Spirit went to the top of my list if I did taste it. I just put the WT 80 at the bottom to complete the example.

Lucky for me, I do still greatly appreciate some bourbons from other companies: Blanton's, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek are strong competitors. But WT has a remarkable product line across the board. Ky Spirit will very likely be the next super expensive bourbon I splurge on.

Maybe for my birthday in July.....

Tim

To follow that last post, I have settled on my REAL (current) top five. I can't assign an order, though, these are all too good. So, in alphabetical order:

Blanton's

Knob Creek

Rare Breed

Russell's Reserve

Woodford Reserve

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I have not yet had the pleasure of participating, so here goes:

1 -Kentucky Spirit

2- Booker's

3- Rare Breed

4- Old Forester 100

5- Jefferson's Reserve

As you can see I tend to like the higher proof more full-bodied bourbons. And, much to Linn's delight i'm sure, no wheaters currently hold a top 5 position wink.gif

Alright, I'm game!....Here goes...

1. Woodford Reserve

2. OF Birthday Bourbon

3. Elmer T. Lee SB

4. WT Rare Breed

5. JD Single Barrel (I know, I know, but I'm listing it anyway!! smirk.gif I think this should be a Top 10 list! mad.gif There are so many that I have left off!...Bookers, Jefferson Reserve, etc..If someone doesn't do it, I may just post a Top 10 list! laugh.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

BLASPHEMY!

Jeff, you may be the biggest wheated bourbon booster on this board, and there is not one to be found. Have you lost your way???? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Tom (Why man, WHY!?!?!?!?!?) C

I Know, I know, but the introduction of KS knocked my MM out of the running. It is still a solid #6 or 7. Weller Antique 107 is a good bourbon, but has done little to bolster the wheat movement's hold on my taste buds. Of course, I may have to re-think this whole thing once I get to sample some of the VW products.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Of course, I may have to re-think this whole thing once I get to sample some of the VW products

OH how naive I once was!! blush.gifblush.gif !! Now that I have tasetd some real bourbons, a new top 5 list:

1. Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve (10 Year/ 101 Proof)

2. Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107 Proof

3. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

4. Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

5. Elijah Craig 12 Year

Wow, what a difference 8 months makes!

Tom (ever changing tastes) C

how cool My list would include 3 you have here. ORVW, OFBB and EC12.I can't say the other 2 because I haven't had them yet. Well I have them I just haven't had them. What fools we are however to love the Birthday Bourbon so much. It will never be again in its' present form. We can only hope that the differences will be subtle. I do have a shrinking stash of it , Discipline return to me! One can only cringe at the thought of someone chugging this beautiful Bourbon on a loading dock and chasing it with coke. Wishing the whole time they had a bottle of Crown Royal. Believe me it's not that far out of the realm of possibilities!

I think Wathens is still on my list. I'll let the other choice revolve! grin.gif

One can only cringe at the thought of someone chugging this beautiful Bourbon on a loading dock and chasing it with coke. Wishing the whole time they had a bottle of Crown Royal.

Isn't that the nice part..we get to revise our list! laugh.gif I'd like you to keep tasting..your number five (5) will fall off-waaaaay off! grin.gif Seriously, enjoy what YOU like. See ya, H'wood cool.gif

H'wood,

You wrote, in part, as follows:

your number five (5) will fall off-waaaaay off! grin.gif

B'B'D, I think you missed it just a little bit! grin.gif I was teasing you somewhat. I've made it clear that EC12 "isn't my favorite"! However, in that note I did say Enjoy what YOU like, because I know you will. On the other hand, I've been open to this pour many different ways, ie: neat, rocks, etc.. I've spent all of the money that I'm going to on this one. Again, too many bourbons out there I like...to waste money on ones I don't. It has had its chance! confused.gif I'm sorry that maybe you took offense to something that wasn't intended to do so. Anyway, enjoy what you like. laugh.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

H'wood,

No offense taken. If my previous post suggested otherwise, then I'm responsible for not being clear.

I'm a firm believer in "enjoy what you like" -- for everyone. I also believe that some things need more than a little getting used to. Even at that, I can now see that you've given EC12 a fair trial, and it just isn't for you.

I'd just hate to have someone give up on it after only one or two drinks (as I did recently with Old Whiskey River blush.gif ).

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

B'B'D, Comments well taken! I have noticed that your likes are scarily ooo.gif similar to mine. However, over 1500ML I can't make EC12 work! confused.gif Anyway, I still value your opinion on many other pours. Thanks! See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Here's my top 5:

1. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

2. Old Rip Van Winkle 10 YO, 107 Proof

3. Woodford Reserve

4. Ancient Ancient Age 10 YO

5. Wild Turkey Rare Breed

It's tough to figure out the top 5. That's my list as of now, but tomorrow, who knows? smirk.gifwink.gif

Bob

Perhaps the differences will not be subtle, but the next expression could be even better in a different way! tongue.gif I like their idea on this one. I hope they keep new and perhaps different stuff coming. smile.gif

Due to recent events my top five must be updated. Here Goes:

1- Kentucky Spirit

2- Booker's

3- Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

4- Rare Breed

5- Old Forester 100

Sorry Jefferson's Reserve. You are a fine bourbon, but Mr. Brown has put you in your place (#6 that is) grin.gif

Its as simple as this, and everyone who has tried it so far agrees. . .

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon = Some Damn Good Shit!

Rock On Jeff yuou snagged a good one, it has quite a bang for your buck wink.gifwink.gif !

Tom ( shocked.gifshocked.gif 800!! cool.gifcool.gif ) C

• 1 month later...

Till someone enlightens me:

1. Bookers (Indeed)

2. Blanton's (Worth the $)

3. George Dickel #12 (Just right!)

4. Jack Daniels #7 (I hate the fact I like this one)

5. Early Times frown.gif (I've been to the Derby too many times) <font color="orange"> </font color>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.