Poll: Top 5 Whiskeys

Henry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1)Old Forestor BDay Bourbon

2)WT Russells Reserve

3)ORVW 10 Year/ 107

4)Wathen's Single Barrel

5)W.L.. Weller 19 Year

(and this is taking into account that I have got enough of THE STAGG to form an opinion. . . that it ranks a solid 6th)

Tom ( crazy.gif Blasphemy, I Know crazy.gif ) C

My top 5 would include:

1. George T Stagg

2. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

3. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

4. Van Winkle 13 YO Rye

5. Old Rip Van Winkle 10 YO 107 Proof

The was harder than I thought, there's so many good things out there, but those are my votes!

Bob

My Top 5 until someone can beat one/all of them are:

1. A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

2. Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 Year

3. George T. Stagg

4. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

5. Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (#6) almost made it but the value and quality of the Evan Williams put it into my Top 5. smile.gif

Living in the great control state of Pennsylvania--where the state government operates all wholesale and retail of alcohol--I do not have access to some whiskeys which have received much praise on this site, namely Stagg and OF Birthday Bourbon. My Stagg is on special order, but Lord knows when (or if) I'll ever actually get it. I'll have to look into the availability of the OFBB. With that in mind, I present my current Top Five:

1) Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13yo

2) Wild Turkey Rare Breed

3) Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

4) A.H. Hirsch 16yo

5) Knob Creek

Moving up the charts with a bullet is Wild Turkey 12yo. Late last year, the PLCB cut its price on WT12 to $38 per. I hoarded what I could (as did others), and now the state is just about dry on that number.

Sazerac Rye 18yo was in my Top Five two years ago, but the latest release just didn't measure up to the first release, dropping it out of the rankings (but still Top 10 material).

Just Five? I thought this would be easy, but I've changed it numerous times.

Here Goes

As of 4PM 1/15/2003

1) Jefferson Reserve

2) Hirsh 16

3) Rock Hill Farms

4) Stagg

5) Weller Centennial

Ask me again at 9PM

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

OK Tom I'll match your Re Revision with one of my own;

1) Buffalo Trace's George T. Stagg

2) Wild Turkey's Kentucky Spirit

3) Buffalo Trace's Rock Hill Farms

4) Pappy Van Winkel Family Reserve 20 year old - Yes a wheater!

5) Brown-Forman's Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

6) Charles Medley's Wathen's

7) Jim Beam's Knob Creek

I cheated a bit and gave you a different bottle for every day of the week. I challenge anyone to say they would actually be unhappy if this weeks worth of bourbon showed up on their front porch. grin.gif

Upset if those 7 showed up on the porch??? No way!!! A great list of great bourbons, is that. And thankfully, none of those pesky Tennessee whiskeys taint Linn's list.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

4) Pappy Van Winkel Family Reserve 20 year old - Yes a wheater!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well you know Bob, I just don't care for wheated bourbons in general, but I've come around a bit since I first set foot on the cyber-shores of Bourbonia. There are only two wheaters that I truely enjoy and those are the Van Winkel's and Virginia Gentleman's six year old 90 proof 'Fox'. The 20 year old Pappy is my hands down favorite wheated bourbon, and at $75 a bottle I wouldn't be putting out that kind of dough for anything that didn't taste a little better than great. For just plain great at $21 the 'Fox' is the wheater for you!.

Hello Linn. Way to go Linn. Just saw your revised 5 or should I say 7 favorite whiskeys. I will second your selection of the 20yr Van Winkle pappy Family Reserve. grin.gif It is one of my all time favorites. tongue.gifwink.gif I have had 3 bottles so far and it's a special occasion bourbon for me. wink.gif Thats one impressive list you have there Sir Linn. I have some Stagg waiting for me in KY. I am planning on driving up there in a few weeks just to get the Stagg. I can't wait until this July to try it.. laugh.gif I need to try it ASAP. To keep up with you here is my list of favorite 7 one for each day of the week. Now keep in mind If the Stagg and the Birthday Bourbon are as good as you say it is. I may have to redo my list. Here it is in no particular order. smirk.gif Creggor

16yr A.H Hirsch.

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

Van Winkle 13yr Family Reserve Rye

Van Winkle 20yr Pappy Family Reserve.

Pure Kentucky XO Small Batch

Van Winkle 15yr 107 Proof

2001 Bottling of 18yr Old Sazerac Rye

Linn,

I've read lots of good things about "The Fox" from yourself and a number of other Bourbonians, and it's on my list of things to buy. Once I have, I'll let everyone know what I think. I've never bought the 20 YO Van Winkle, but had the opportunity to taste it at WhiskyFest and loved it! But at about $75, it's a bit our of my price range. I have bought other VW products and love 'em all, cause they taste great and are very affordable! smile.gif

Bob

Hello, Linn, Question for you. Looking at your list of favorites you list Knpb Creek in 7th place. My question is do you really like Knob Creek better than Blantons, Russells Reserve, Woodfords Reserve and Rare Breed?? Or is the Knob Creek on your list because of price and availability. I ask because I kinda recall your tasting notes on Blantons..Creggor..

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's easy Creggor. I already had two Buffalo Trace products on the list.Both of which I like better than Blanton's (which I do love) and I wanted to have a Beam whiskey on the list. I just happen to love Knob Creek. It's widely available while things like George T. Stagg and the 20 year old Pappy aren't. wink.gif

My current top five:

1) WT Russell's Reserve (has the rich, smoky pre-Prohibtion taste)

2) Jack Daniels Single Barrel (as rich or more than the above, surely this was Jack Daniels as sold from the barrel in, say, 1900)

3) Van Winkle Old Time Rye (a world-class whiskey, luxurious)

4) Evan Williams 7 year old (best price brand in America)

5) Hirsch 16 Year old (this is the last available stocks of the legendary Michter's Original Sour Mash whiskey of Pennsylvania - it drinks like a cross between the finest aged bourbon and the finest aged cognac).

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Hirsch 16 Year old (this is the last available stocks of the legendary Michter's Original Sour Mash whiskey of Pennsylvania - it drinks like a cross between the finest aged bourbon and the finest aged cognac).

Is it the last of the 16 AND the 20yo Hirsch? I have seen a few bottles of the 20 here and there but none of the 16. Some have said that there might be a little yet to be bottled, but I can't remember what age they were talking about. The 20yo is running about $85. Should I go for it, or keep looking for the 16?

This just in: My top 5 have changed yet again. They are as follows:

1 - Kentucky Spirit (Nothing else needs to be said)

2- George T Stagg (Only #2 because of limited availability)

3. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (Damn limited availability)

4- Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107 proof

5. Wathens

Honorable mentions include: Booker's, Rare Breed, Virginia Gentleman 90 proof, Old Forester 100 proof (my one time favorite), EC12yo, EWSB91.

That's a great price for the 20 year old but from what others have said and in my opinion, the 16 is a MUCH better whiskey... I like older whiskies but it seems like to 20 year hirsch is a little too matured... Like I said, just my opinion.

Mark

My understanding is that Hirsch 16 and 20 year olds are both Michter's production. I have not tried the 20 year old but the 16 year old was very special. I have seen the 16 year old recently in fine New York City liquor stores.

I am glad that there is some sense in the world again, Jeff has a wheater on his favorites list again! wink.gifwink.gif !

BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

TomC

Wheaters have taken a down turn on my list as of late. While I still enjoy Maker's Mark, there are so many better bourbons out there that it quickly fell off the radar. Old Weller Antique did nothing to reaffiirm my taste for them, if anything my opinion dropped somewhat. Then along came Ol' Rip. I had tried the 20yo Pappy, which I love, but I thought that the wonderful taste profile must certainly be exclusive to the more expensive older bottles. I was pleasantly suprised with the $21 10yo 107 proof. This is one damn fine pour. Whereas Maker's Mark has become somewhat plain, and Old Weller just tastes a little off to me, Ol' Rip has many of the qualities that I associate with the better rye bourbons. It will be hard for something to knock this one off the list. I hope someone tries grin.gif

BLLLLEEEEE!!!

I made a posting when I first joined this forum that said something to the effect that one of the best things about this form was watching peoples tastes evolve in what is actually quite a large range of flavors in bourbonia. Its funny because considering wheaters (except maybe makers mark) I have thought the opposite recently. Having now tasted 3 Wellers (Antique, Centennial, & 19 Year), 3 Vanwinkles (10/107, 15/107/ Pappy's), and Old fitz BIB I think I have shaken the initial bias I had against them. I dont consider myself a "wheated" or a "ryed" person (my top 5 list has 3 ryed and 2 wheated bourbons), I just now thinl there is a definate place for wheated bourbons and I am glad that we have both varieties to try.

So know the distilleries have to get cracking on a mashbill with both! grin.gif

Tom (yay Jeff!) C

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.