Breaking ground...Heaven Hill Visitor Center

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

April 1, 2003...I'm a little late in posting this...They broke ground for the visitor center and gift shop...For those of you familiar with the grounds at Heaven Hill...this is located on Gilkey Run...just past the employee parking lot...and up wind of the Heaven Hill lake...I will try to take the pictures in the same spot every time...The white truck is Gilkey Run Road...The gravel road to the right is the back entrance (not the main entrance) to Heaven Hill...Several of our warehouses are in the backgroud...The picture is not very good...there is dirt in the middle (in front of the house) where the vistor center will be located..

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489811174539_thumb.jpg

This has noting to do with the visitor center...but I wanted some of ya to see this...I did not want to make a new post...

Heaven Hill and Jim Beam working and "burnin it up" grin.gif ...This picture was taken during our welding class...The picture is poor quatlity but we had such a good time I had ta post it...The Jim Beam guys were instant friends right of the bat...We laughed and messed with em...and messed with em... laugh.gif Ohhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh laugh.gif ....It took several days (for them) to try to figure, if that was the way we "were" or if that is "us" trying to have a little fun...and let me tell ya we did...A typical event the instructor was taking the picture...I'm telling him to get a little closer...cause it will come out to dark...(and it did) when I went to sit in the chair in front...they pulled it beneath me...Of course...they caught me before I hit the floor...

In the Picture...Left to Right...Ben Geoghegan HH...nick name Bennyhana....Bryan Chapman Jim Beam...he has been working for Jim Beam for a year a half...I asked him how did he move up so quick with so very little seniority? He said that he scored a perfect 100 on the entrace test...and the job was awarded to him grin.gif ....Hmmmmmmm smart an good lookin too!...Allen Downs, Heaven Hill nick name...Big Al....That's me sitting in the chair...behind me with his mask down is Jerimy Feletcher...nickname Jerimihia....Jamie Downs, Jim Beam, Jamie is a stock car racer and demolition derby man, I asked him how many cars he had...Twenty two...Mike Mattingly,

Heaven Hill nickname Mikey...Not present for the photo were...Billy Ray Thompson, Jim Beam---on vacation---Wendell Goff, Heaven Hill, nickname Wendeli...

We laughed and laughed and laughed...It was good to know that being competitors, didn't matter. We all got our certifications...told some incredible stories...and made new friends while we were at it...I have invited them to tour Heaven Hill and ta have supper with us...I can't wait...we will have a good time grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811174835_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This was published in The Kentucky Standard....

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489811179622_thumb.jpg

Thanks -- though that's a while away. My wife and I want a tour from you at HH some day when we can make it down if you can pull it off. She just said so last night. 'Cause your so nice AND so knowledgeable. smile.gif

-- Greg

I second that. I think a SB.com private tour would be a fabulous idea. Any chance at Festival time Bettye Jo?

Thanks for the info on the visitors center. Very exciting!

Let me third that! A tour of HH hosted by Bettye Jo would be a delight!

Hey,

Ya'll just let me know when you will be in town and we'll paint it <font color="red">RED </font color> grin.gifgrin.gif

During the Bourbon Festival if anyone wants to see "INSIDE" just let me know...Last year I called Chris, Kristen, Mark and Stacy at their hotel room (late, around 10 or so on Thrusday night)...I asked them if they wanted to come and visit...They were a little taken at first...I think that they thought I was kidding but they jumped in their car and were at the front door in no time...

I have taken Bobby and Amelia through several times...Hell, they know exactly when my breaks are and know where the shop is to greet me...It's really fantastic to have folks visit you while you are working smile.gif Especially those two grin.gif ...

All of my friends here at SB are welcome anytime...Just let me know when ya wanta go wink.gif ...

There you have it , an invite from BettyeJo, Put this on the "To Do" list, when you are in Bardstown!

That phone call and private night tour was just one of the highlights of last years festival for me, and i will not forget that! "At first we thought you were kidding" is an understatement, haha. We had to be there to almost midnight! Everyone will love it, Thanks Bettye Jo!

A word of warning: wear comfortable shoes. A tour by Bettye Jo is not a leisurely stroll. In fact, it's touring at a dead run.

Now Chuck,

Ya know...I've never done anything slow in my life shocked.gif

I did take Chuck and Jim on a tour (daylight) last year during the Bourbon Festival...I usually try to introduce my guests to some of the folks who run Heaven Hill (Chief's)...The really bad part about comming during the bourbon festival is that all of the "Chief's" are busy or not there...

Chuck knows everybody at Heaven Hill...but I wanted to introduce Jim to Max and Harry...they were not there because their folks names (the 5 Shapira Brothers) were being added to the Bourbon Hall of Fame...Sooooooooo...Don't expect to meet anybody at that time... grin.gifgrin.gif Just me grin.gifgrin.gif ...and Chuck is shooting it straight...I've never done nothing slow in my life blush.gifblush.gif Ohhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh grin.gifgrin.gif

Jeff,

I just got off the phone with Larry Kass, he is Heaven Hill's Director of Corporate Communications and the "Chief" of BOURBON at Heaven Hill...He is "da man" in charge upstairs in the Marketing...

I told Larry about the tours and tastings that we take (through Omar) every year...I asked him could he arrange something like that for us at Heaven Hill?...His response was...He would prefer that we make plans for next year when the visitor center is completed and He would roll out the red carpet for us... grin.gif or skip town grin.gif ...He said that jokingly...

I agree with Larry...Sooooooooo...we will plan on the following year to be one of the first official groups on the Appointment list for a special tasting and tour of my wonderful grin.gif HEAVEN HILL...

Not to fret...I will still give all of ya a tour (this year)...I prefer small groups, that way I can show ya up close and personal...With a large group it will be your standard stuff...Larry said, that's fine...Soooooooooo...Put ya blush.gif running blush.gif shoes on and plan to spend a couple of hours with me...learning how a bottling house works from a line mechanic's point of view...

Thanks for looking into that Bettye Jo, it will give us something to talk about and look forward to in '04 laugh.gif And for your generous offer of smaller tours, I can't wait laugh.gifcool.giflaugh.gif

• 5 months later...

Hey Bettye Jo,

I'm sure many of us will be looking forward to visiting the HH distillery and Visitor Center next September. I know that I will!

Bob

Bob wink.gif

It should be a real good time grin.gif...

They have hired a manager and in the process of hiring a Director...

The one thing that has surprised me was the size...Don't get me wrong, it's a "large" building but I thought it would be alot bigger than it is grin.gif...

They have hired a manager and in the process of hiring a Director...

Dang, if only I were closer to retirement... grin.gif

• 5 months later...

I sincerely regret to inform all the members of Straightbourbon.com who will attend this year's (2004) Kentucky Bourbon Festival that there will "Not" be a tour and tasting in the new "Visitor Center" aka Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Welcome Center.

It will "Not" be open by September. Construction has been slow. They predict that it "might" be finished by October.

Bettye Jo,

That is disappointing news! frown.gif I was looking forward to visiting the new visitor center this year. Oh well, something to plan for the following year!

Bob

That's a shame, I was looking forward to that. Leslie and I drove by on Saturday and were admiring it. It looks like it will be a swanky display. Any details on what will be on the inside?

That's too bad Bettye Jo... Like everyone else, we too were hoping to visit the center, but hey, there's always next year! Plus we'll have lot's of other stuff to do together nonetheless.

Hi Jeff,

Click on the link below...scroll down to the part about the Heaven Hill visitor center announcement.

There is a "key" factor "not" mentioned in this announcement. Phyllis S. Parish. They do not metion her name, at all. She is on the board of Directors. She was standing side by side with Harry and Max during the groundbreaking, but no mention of her name.

Her daddy was one of the 5 Shapira Brothers. His name was, Mose Shapira. The other brothers were, George, (no children), Gary, two daughters one in California and one in Florida. Eddie, Max's daddy, (Max has a sister and his mother lives in Louisville) David, Harry's daddy (Harry has a sister)...

click here and scroll down to the HH announcement...

Take note...It will not be open in the summer of 2004...It will open "maybe" fall of 2004.

Next grin.gif...Family History 101 grin.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.