Mellow Corn Is Wonderful.

ethangsmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think they still require some contact with wood for use of the term 'whiskey,' but that's easily accomplished.

They were at one time using the term 'grain spirits' but then realized they already had that term designated for neutral spirits that had wood contact. The GNS in Seagram's Seven, for example, is actually 'grain spirit,' because it has been mellowed in used barrels for about 3 months.

On a side not, anybody had Seagrams 7 lately? It is fine stuff. Very rye rich. Chuck, I probably should know this, but can caramel be added to a blended whiskey made in this country? I detect it in the seagrams, and if it were not there, it would be great.

Ethan you should have come on up to Watkins and got your mc. You could have come by FLD at the same time.

I'm hoping to do that on a second trip, probably next year. I'd really like to get up to your distillery!

• 2 weeks later...

During my trip to GA, I secured a bottle of Mellow Corn and found it very good! It does have a heavy, oily mouthfeel similar to what I find in Irish whisky. It definitely isn't as sweet as you'd think for being straight corn, but for $13 it was a good deal! Now I need to try and stock up in NY.

Eric

Ethan, in tasting Mellow Corn, J.W. Corn, and Dixie Dew, I actually enjoy the J.W. Corn a bit more. It's a richer, fuller flavored corn whiskey. Mellow Corn, in spite of the name, has a great spice character to it, and slots in just behind it in my viewpoint. Dixie Dew is flatter than both. Just my two cents.

On a side not, anybody had Seagrams 7 lately? It is fine stuff. Very rye rich. Chuck, I probably should know this, but can caramel be added to a blended whiskey made in this country? I detect it in the seagrams, and if it were not there, it would be great.

Yes they can add caramel.

Well i wish they would quit. I had some Canadian club from 1979 over the weekend, it had no caramel in it like it seems to now iand it was great also.

• 8 months later...

I finally got around to buying a bottle of this (11.99!). I really enjoyed it. Quite simple, as many have said. It reminded me a tiny bit of:

- A Wheater. I wonder if this is because there's no rye to hide the corn. I've heard it said that wheaters are sweet not because wheat is sweet, but because there's no rye to cover the corn.

- Scotch. Maybe this is from the used barrels?

But those are just distant comparisons. It's just a very nice drink with a character of its own.

It reminded me a tiny bit of:

- A Wheater. I wonder if this is because there's no rye to hide the corn. I've heard it said that wheaters are sweet not because wheat is sweet, but because there's no rye to cover the corn.

- Scotch. Maybe this is from the used barrels?

Parkersback,

Mellow Corn actually reminds me of tequila. I know it sounds odd, but they're both light and free from a lot of strong wood flavors. "Spirity" isn't a real word, but Mellow Corn and young tequila seem spirity -- the alcohol and grain/plant flavors aren't overpowered by wood.

7 Crown is a good product. I've often said numerous of the blended whiskeys put out today, albeit with restricted percentages of straight whiskey, can be a good drink - not all but some. Someone should buy a couple and review them.

Gary

Today I had some fun with MC. I mixed it with Laird's Applejack. The flavors went quite well together. Like a sweet apple cornbread, if such a thing exists.

Parkersback,

Mellow Corn actually reminds me of tequila. I know it sounds odd, but they're both light and free from a lot of strong wood flavors. "Spirity" isn't a real word, but Mellow Corn and young tequila seem spirity -- the alcohol and grain/plant flavors aren't overpowered by wood.

Agreed. And like tequila, I need a fresh palate to enjoy it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.