What Beer Are You Drinking? - Fall 2011

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, it's that time of year again. The nights start to get a little cooler, the days are a little crisper, and the leaves on the trees start to change. Days are getting shorter and it won't be long until we're lighting those first fires in the fireplace. Baseball is winding down and football is in full swing. That's right...Fall is here!

As the summer seasonal beers disappear from the shelves in favor of heavier, darker, more flavorful offerings, what bottle will you be reaching for?

Still will have a stable full of my usual IPA's, but for Fall Seasonal's I love:

Odell's Isolation Ale

Left Hand Oktoberfest

Avery Old Jubilation Ale

Sam Adam's Octoberfest

Hofbrau Oktoberfest

My favorite WAS New Belgium's -2º Below, but they of course got rid of it.

I am still working through my summer stash. But when it is gone, I think I have a taste for some porter. And probably some of the Sam Adams Fall specials.

Tim

Another bottle of Arrogant Bastard (non-oaked), and a bottle of Yeti which I've yeti to open.

Have you had the oaked version? I always see it for sale but have only bought the non-oaked version...I wonder how they compare.

I went into the whole prospect feeling a bit skeptical, but really enjoyed my first imperialized Octoberfest lager, Avery's The Kaiser. Sweet, toasty malts and a bit of a kick with the 10 percent ABV....

I'm just glad that I have Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford on my fantasy team.

Drank some Miller Lite, Allagash White, Cannon something, and some pumpkin beer today while watching football.

I have working October fest. Some from the country of Origin - Spaten and HB, and some from the states Leinies and Great lakes and New Glarus. Good stuff all around. Also I went to Oktoberfest at St. Frances brewery an had a pint each of their Festive beer which is actually the same recipe only one has been cask conditioned. I definitely love cask when I can find it.

I went into the whole prospect feeling a bit skeptical, but really enjoyed my first imperialized Octoberfest lager, Avery's The Kaiser. Sweet, toasty malts and a bit of a kick with the 10 percent ABV....

I'm ashamed to admit I've never had a single beer from Avery. What's the skinny on them? Where to start?

A Sam Adams Oktoberfest following the Lions victory.

First time in 31 years, the Lions are 3-0.

Amazing game, Will! Despite being in the same division as my Bears, I was rooting for the Lions to be successful this year, though perhaps not this successful. :grin: At this rate, you'll be drinking a lot of celebratory beers this season.

... Also I went to Oktoberfest at St. Frances brewery an had a pint each of their Festive beer which is actually the same recipe only one has been cask conditioned. I definitely love cask when I can find it.

With all the beer-drinking fanatics here in Chicagoland, it always surprises me how little cask ale can be found in the better establishments. Even brew pubs rarely bother which is a real shame. Cask conditioned ale is the way to go, in my book. It can't be beaten!

I'm ashamed to admit I've never had a single beer from Avery. What's the skinny on them? Where to start?

Really depends what you like, but I am a pretty big supporter of Avery. They operate out of my home-town of Boulder CO, have been in business since 1993. They have a great line of year round ales (IPA, White Rascal, Ellie's Brown, Out of Bounds Stout, Joe's Pilsner), which are all pretty widely available. I love their IPA and even their brown ale is nice, and I don't typically like brown ales.

I also like their seasonal's, but most like their limited releases, lots of crazy offerings and its clear they aren't afraid to mix things up, case in point: Mephistopholes Stout, 15% ABV (may have been a pissing contest though).

If you haven't tried Avery I recommend you give them a try, their Ellie's Brown ale wouldn't be a bad spot to start (not knowing your personal tastes), but their IPA is my personal favorite.

Bottoms Up

If you need it:

http://www.averybrewing.com/our-ales

Amazing game, Will! Despite being in the same division as my Bears, I was rooting for the Lions to be successful this year, though perhaps not this successful. :grin: At this rate, you'll be drinking a lot of celebratory beers this season.

Being a Lions fan for >50 years, I've watched many a game where you needed beer to drown your sorry.

I think those days may be ending for a while. I really like Schwartz as the coach. He is their best head coach in 50 years.

At the half I thought same old luck and Lions in Minnesota, and would watch the second half out of obligation. But I was in for a most pleasant surprise.

With all the beer-drinking fanatics here in Chicagoland, it always surprises me how little cask ale can be found in the better establishments. Even brew pubs rarely bother which is a real shame. Cask conditioned ale is the way to go, in my book. It can't be beaten!

Have you been to Owen and Engine? They have a revolving selection of cask conditioned ale (not to mention the best fish 'n chips I've ever had outside of London). I was there a few months ago and had a cask conditioned Scottish beer brewed with heather in place of hops. The heather gave it an exotic punch while still keeping it in the realm of tasting like beer, and delicious beer at that!

Good question -- the Kaiser was a first for me from Avery, foisted upon me by a guy at Binny's in Willowbrook when I went to replenish my stock of Boulevard Bob's '47 Octoberfest.

Really depends what you like, but I am a pretty big supporter of Avery. They operate out of my home-town of Boulder CO, have been in business since 1993. They have a great line of year round ales (IPA, White Rascal, Ellie's Brown, Out of Bounds Stout, Joe's Pilsner), which are all pretty widely available. I love their IPA and even their brown ale is nice, and I don't typically like brown ales.

I also like their seasonal's, but most like their limited releases, lots of crazy offerings and its clear they aren't afraid to mix things up, case in point: Mephistopholes Stout, 15% ABV (may have been a pissing contest though).

If you haven't tried Avery I recommend you give them a try, their Ellie's Brown ale wouldn't be a bad spot to start (not knowing your personal tastes), but their IPA is my personal favorite.

Bottoms Up

If you need it:

Thanks!

Have you been to Owen and Engine? They have a revolving selection of cask conditioned ale (not to mention the best fish 'n chips I've ever had outside of London). I was there a few months ago and had a cask conditioned Scottish beer brewed with heather in place of hops. The heather gave it an exotic punch while still keeping it in the realm of tasting like beer, and delicious beer at that!

I've enjoyed it there and also at the Two Brothers Tap House, which may or may not have it on a given weekend. (Really liked what it did to Cane & Ebel, which I already love.) Few other places mentioned here.

Bottoms Up

If you need it:

Thanks for the info! I guess what I was asking was which beer is considered their "flagship" product and/or best seller. I love IPA's so I'll start there and pick up a six pack this weekend. Hopefully they do a sampler twelve pack which would be even better. I think ALL micros should do samplers so we can taste the range of their products without breaking the bank or risking picking up a dud six pack.

That sounds great. Thanks for the tip! Having lived in England for a few years, I'm a "real ale" fanatic, so really appreciate cask-conditioned ale when I find it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.