What Beer Are You Drinking? - Fall 2011

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't drink much beer any more but my wife likes to have one now and again. Generally she prefers American lagers, but she asked me to find something different. So I bought her a six-pack of Leinie's Sunset Wheat, because I know she likes wheat beers.

I didn't notice that the label reads "Beer with natural flavors." Coriander, to be exact. Well, I'm sure somebody likes it but it's going to go down the drain at our house unless I can find someone to pawn it off on.

It's a shame, too, because their wheat mash is actually pretty good.

During a recent visit to the Willowbrook Binny's, I was shocked by the proliferation of high-end canned beer (six packs in the $9 and above range). It seems like a "retro" thing but the guys from Oskar Blues make a good case for the use of modern-day aluminum cans over bottles on their web site, stating that the cans are different than the ones I grew up with and actually preserve the beer better (no light being the biggest factor) than your standard glass beer bottle. Interesting!

During a recent visit to the Willowbrook Binny's, I was shocked by the proliferation of high-end canned beer (six packs in the $9 and above range). It seems like a "retro" thing but the guys from Oskar Blues make a good case for the use of modern-day aluminum cans over bottles on their web site, stating that the cans are different than the ones I grew up with and actually preserve the beer better (no light being the biggest factor) than your standard glass beer bottle. Interesting!

That's the same philosophy that Half-Acre up on the north side now follows, as they eliminated 12-ounce bottles in favor of 16-ounce cans. (Though they still do bomber bottles.) Also reduces shipping weight and total resource use.

Now if only Half-Acre could produce enough to send it to Willowbrook! (For now they only do the city and northern 'burbs.)

Thanks for the info! I guess what I was asking was which beer is considered their "flagship" product and/or best seller. I love IPA's so I'll start there and pick up a six pack this weekend. Hopefully they do a sampler twelve pack which would be even better. I think ALL micros should do samplers so we can taste the range of their products without breaking the bank or risking picking up a dud six pack.

Right on, their original flagships were Redpoint Amber (retired), Ellies Brown, and Out of Bounds Stout. I don't think Avery does a sampler pack, but I do agree about liking variety. I wish all companies did, but I can understand why they don't. I don't think you'll run into a dud from Avery, but since you like IPA's I'd say get 6 of the IPA and 6 of the Ellies (flagship). Some stores do make your own 6 packs where you can mix and match too, I always try to do that when trying a new brewery.

Sierra Nevada - Dogfish Head collaboration Life & Limb. A little maltier than I prefer, but flavorful, good cool weather beer.

Tonight has brought:

Big Sky IPA

Deschutes Inversion IPA

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Brown

All pretty good, really like the Deschutes, has a color to it that I haven't seen from many IPA's, quite a dark copper hue to it. The Tumbler is also growing on me, I usually don't like malty beers, but this one is getting better, lots of underlying malt characters: roasted malt comes through in sheets, even some roasted coffee characteristics can be picked up, with a slight smokiness from it all to round things out......Sure, I don't like malty beers ;). Maybe I can be converted from my current Hop Head status.

Having a Atwater Block Mai Bock to celebrate the Lions win. (In addition to a little WLW 117.9 as post elsewhere.)

I am drinking a Yuengling black and tan. Yuengling appeared on Ohio shelves yesterday. I have had the lager and light in the past and while good aren't a big deal to me but the black and tan is excellent!

Thomas

Tried a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout tonight. I'm generally an IPA guy, but it's nice to get something dark and roasty every now and again.

Eric

I'm enjoyng Helios Pale Ale from Upland in Bloomington, IN. Not super, but a decent drink for staying up late to watch west coast hockey games.

I'm drinking a somewhat bland, uninspiring Yuengling Lager. I don't get all the hoopla over this stuff.

I feel the same way about the lager and light versions. The black and tan is a different story. It is excellent!

Thomas

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Brown - let it warm up a bit and it's like tobacco from a pipe.

Great night of beer drinking with the stellar Avery IPA leading the pack, followed by Blue Point IPA (from Long Island) and Brooklyn Brewery's East India Pale Ale. Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA on deck this afternoon.

Love love love the Torpedo! Sierra Nevada has really kicked it into gear in the last few years - their Harvest beers are just awesome, too, as were their anniversary offerings.

Great night of beer drinking with the stellar Avery IPA leading the pack, followed by Blue Point IPA (from Long Island) and Brooklyn Brewery's East India Pale Ale. Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA on deck this afternoon.

It's overcast, breezy, a touch coolish outside. Just perfect for a Great Lakes Oktoberfest while listening to the Colts and Chiefs on the radio. Just like seemingly everything else this brewery puts out, this is wonderful beer.

So, at this point in my Octoberfest beer tastings, these beers make the podium:

Sam Adams Octoberfest

Great Lakes Oktoberfest

New Belgium Hoptober

This really is a nice time of year for beer drinking.

It's overcast, breezy, a touch coolish outside. Just perfect for a Great Lakes Oktoberfest while listening to the Colts and Chiefs on the radio. Just like seemingly everything else this brewery puts out, this is wonderful beer.

So, at this point in my Octoberfest beer tastings, these beers make the podium:

Sam Adams Octoberfest

Great Lakes Oktoberfest

New Belgium Hoptober

This really is a nice time of year for beer drinking.

Which Octoberfest do you prefer.... Great Lakes or Sam Adams? I still think the SA is the best Oct.fest I've had, and I'm a huge fan of Great Lakes offerings.

Which Octoberfest do you prefer.... Great Lakes or Sam Adams? I still think the SA is the best Oct.fest I've had, and I'm a huge fan of Great Lakes offerings.

Me, too, E. Sam Adams is my favorite. The GLB and NB offerings are very good, but I still prefer the SA.

:toast:

Grilling and enjoying a Sam Adams Octoberfest here as well. My favorite among all the Sams and one of the absolute best Octoberfest beers out there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.