2011 Gift packs

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just left Frugal and got two new gift packs:

Wild Turkey 101 with new label and a leather covered flask.

Four Roses Small Batch with a flask with Whisky Mag 2011 distiller of the year printed on it.

What have you seen?

Oooh I want a Four Roses flask

Let me know if you see those gift packs. I'm in love with some Four Roses small batch. Spirits stopped carrying it as quickly as they started.

Looks like PA is starting to get gift sets. Beam's "Small Batch Sampler" in 200ML size is hitting the shelves. I can't wait to see what WT does this year. I wish Heaven Hill would do stuff with EC or EW. The egg nog just isn't enough.

Guys, a question: Is the Evan Williams Mint Julep mix part of a regular gift pack, or is it something I can buy any time (if I can find a store that sells it?)

Thanks E.

Too bad they didn't just stick with the rose motif though. That's sort of a crappy obscure award to emblazon on the flask methinks.

Stopped at a new store in town. They had the "usual" suspects. :rolleyes: They did have a KC Premium Coaster Gift Set. Not sure on the price. The lady made a call. It was either $39.00 or $29.00. The lady that made the phone call was unsure too. :skep: I passed. Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Appleton XO Rum - for the same cost as the shelf bottle the gift pack has two authentic Riedel whiskey glasses for free in their Holiday set. These are very thin glasses. There are no brand markings on them save the typical very small Riedel logo etched in the bottom and since they retail for about $10 each that makes this pack a bargain. Almost like buying two glasses and getting a bottle of Rum for free.

Zaya Rum - The Zaya gift pack has two brandy snifter style glasses - unfortunately with "Zaya Rum" etched on the side. The shape is perfect for enjoying Zaya and coincidently for Whiskey also.

Martel Cordon Bleu Cognac gift pack has two lovely very heavy glasses that are a little unusual but should work well with Whiskey or Cognac.

Appleton XO Rum - for the same cost as the shelf bottle the gift pack has two authentic Riedel whiskey glasses for free in their Holiday set. These are very thin glasses. There are no brand markings on them save the typical very small Riedel logo etched in the bottom and since they retail for about $10 each that makes this pack a bargain. Almost like buying two glasses and getting a bottle of Rum for free.

I will definitely keep an eye out for this one. Helluva deal!

The only gift set I have seen so far has been the Maker's Mark one with a couple of glasses, with the red wax dripping up from the bottoms of the glasses. Well that and the Chimay 3-pack with chalice, but that's ale.

No more MM ornaments, eh?

I received three of those sets as gifts last year, but one of the ornaments was a double. Fortunately a little store near me had chucked the boxes and was offering an ornament of the customer's choice this past summer with a MM purchase. I asked if I could just buy the ornaments, and got a "go ahead, take 'em" from the owner.

And to think, the closest thing to bourbon that I've bought from that particular store (which has a great beer selection but not much by way of whiskey) was some Bourbon County Stout....

I will definitely keep an eye out for this one. Helluva deal!

I bought this gift pack last year. I really like the Reidel glasses a lot. When I got mine, they had 2 sets to choose from. There was the 12 year and the NAS Rum. Each pack had different sized "Spirits Glasses." I don't remember which pack had which glass. I do think the NAS pack with the 2 glasses was $20 and the 12 year was $25? Definitely not a bad deal.

The only gift set I have seen so far has been the Maker's Mark one with a couple of glasses, with the red wax dripping up from the bottoms of the glasses. Well that and the Chimay 3-pack with chalice, but that's ale.

Waxy glassware is sooo 2007

I stopped in the local liquor store the other night and they had a WT 101 gift set that had a leather wrapped flask in it. I almost bought it, I don't have much use for another flask but it is WT. If it's still there this weekend I will probably get it.

do you guys have luck w/ the metal flasks? I had two (gifts from the groom for being in weddings) and have found they produce an off taste. now, I just use a 200mL bottle and it works great. I'd like a nicer looking flask, as I use it all the time...

I'd love some input on this too - would like something nicer looking, and don't mind spending the money on something that would work well. I like to bring bourbon and glasses with me pretty much everywhere in case the occasion arises.

My flask of choice if the "hip flask" shaped design (fits nicely

into back jeans or inside jacket pocket.) Attached lid is a

must (trust me!) Some folks have experienced problems

with the "welded" bottom design while others (including me)

have used 'em for years with no trouble.

Size matters!

I think all the ferrous metal ones will produce an after-taste if you let it sit a while. I make sure to empty mine out in a day or two, and let it air.

I would like to try a silver one to see if it's any different.

Saw Jim Beam white gift set with two rocks glasses with Jim Beam inscribed. I decided to hold out to see if Beam black has a gift pack.

I always take a look since a lot of these are truly gift sets - i.e. same price for the bottle with an additional gift of some sort. The appleton estate one is the best I've seen. I liked the MM ornaments, too.

Party source usually has most of the gift sets available. They put pictures up online:

http://www.thepartysource.com/express/results.php?i=SPIRITS+GIFT+SET

Make sure you check on price before getting them, too. A few 'gift sets' charge you extravagant amounts for the extra junk you get in the box - since most of these are probably bought as Christmas presents by unknowing family and friends.

Saw Jim Beam white gift set with two rocks glasses with Jim Beam inscribed. I decided to hold out to see if Beam black has a gift pack.

Beam black looks to have rocks glasses or a golf towel this year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.