New BT Experimentals: Oat and Rice Bourbon

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am still a little green, but I was surprised to see a sour mash. I would think that with the small run of the experimental they would just run it. What happens to the distillate from the first run before the backset, is it blended with the sour distillate?

I'm actually really curious about the Oat Bourbon - sounds interesting.

The Rice doesn't really seem that exciting to me, personally - I like a bit more "oomph" in my Bourbon than what you'd get with Rice (and based on how they describe it...).

Howdy All:

Still new and learning here, where does one get to buy these expirimentals?

best regards, tony

Not available here in MI. None of the BT experimental, including the Single Oak Project have been available here. They do carry these types typically in some of our neighboring states.

Most of the BT experimentals end up at party source. They do ship most places. I will be there in the next day or so, and I will confirm their stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the BT experimentals end up at party source. They do ship most places. I will be there in the next day or so, and I will confirm their stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, appreciate it.

Best regards, tony

Keep in mind that the BTEC are typically one barrel and usually bottled at barrel-proof. So, even though they are sold in 375 ml bottles, the supply is very limited.

What good are "experimentals" if they aren't available in every state?

What does being available in every state have to do with anything?

Keep in mind that the BTEC are typically one barrel and usually bottled at barrel-proof. So, even though they are sold in 375 ml bottles, the supply is very limited.

Looks like these are bottled at 90 proof.

Did they only make one barrel of each? Must have made it in a pot still. Seems like with the size of their still a batch would be at least 15 barrels.

From the press release:

In order to further increase the scope, flexibility and range of the experimental program, an entire micro distillery, named The Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. “OFC†Micro Distillery, complete with cookers, fermenting tanks and a state-of-the-art micro still has been constructed within Buffalo Trace Distillery.

Oats are a tricky grain. We use some in our pot still whiskey we are putting up. There is a fine line between just right and too damn much. And the proof off the still has to be high as not to get any of their nasty oils over in the product. But when done right can be great. Our pot still is an irish style. The first release has no oats. The next release will, the proof off the still is high and they had a creaminess to the whiskey. But 5 percent was just right, they are a bitch in a hammer mill to say the least as well. I now a lot of folks do not like High West, and I have not tried it, but I am willing to bet that thier white whiskey made with oats is pretty good, becuase I read it comes off the still way up there. Oats do best over 160 proof. Maybe I am too geeky, but those are my thoughts on oats. If it is as bad as John says, it could be all still proof and too much oats.

I now a lot of folks do not like High West, and I have not tried it, but I am willing to bet that thier white whiskey made with oats is pretty good, becuase I read it comes off the still way up there. Oats do best over 160 proof. Maybe I am too geeky, but those are my thoughts on oats. If it is as bad as John says, it could be all still proof and too much oats.

From the press release:

In order to further increase the scope, flexibility and range of the experimental program, an entire micro distillery, named The Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. “OFC†Micro Distillery, complete with cookers, fermenting tanks and a state-of-the-art micro still has been constructed within Buffalo Trace Distillery.

These experiments were not made in the Col. EH Taylor Jr. Micro Distillery. Sorry.

If Hansell hates it that strongly, then I'm intrigued. :cool:

If Hansell hates it that strongly, then I'll probably love it. :cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.