New BT Experimentals: Oat and Rice Bourbon

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

From the press release:

In order to further increase the scope, flexibility and range of the experimental program, an entire micro distillery, named The Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. “OFC†Micro Distillery, complete with cookers, fermenting tanks and a state-of-the-art micro still has been constructed within Buffalo Trace Distillery.

How long has the micro distillery been in place? We went on the hard hat tour and got to see the little microdistillery. It was pretty cool to see how they allow this continued experimentation. They said ETL will come in and do batches when he's got something interesting. (I assume there is a bit more that goes into it than that, but - I wish I was a valuable enough asset to command my own microdistillery to experiment.)

Back to oats. Koval's oat-based whiskeys are good too, but they're 100% oat, as is High West's, they're not oat-flavored bourbon.

Not funny, just trying to edge out Josh for SB "Smarta$$ of the Year"! :D

Sorry. Can I make it up to you by extending you an invitation for Membership into the prestigious Georgia Bourbon Society? :)

• 1 month later...

Time to bump this up again.

While there was a lot of talk about this, I don't think I've seen anybody really comment on them yet. Anybody out there try these yet.

Came across a stash of them in a unexpected place, and my curiosity is ramping up.

Thanks

B

• 1 month later...

Gave into the temptation today on both of these. Still plenty of them around from what I can see.

First thoughts. The nose on the Oats is better than the Rice, it certainly has more oomph and hints at potential. Bit of cherry almost.

Taste goes to the Rice. Its a beautiful clean, light and dare I say, refreshing taste. It reminds me slightly of the first Taylor release in it's ease, but this is even more so.

The Oat's taste is decent-but a bit of a letdown from the flavor hint from the nose, and nearly reminded me of my current open bottle of EC18. Not sure why, but it hit me in the middle of my sample that this was just really similar.

I'd buy another of the Rice, and plan to, but may pass on more of the Oat. Its nice, but one will do in this case.

B

• 3 months later...

Picked up both of these today and have not had a chance to try them yet. If I had seen Hansell's article I would have probably stayed away. The place I got these from had about 7 more of the rice and no more oats. Looks like they are still plentiful. Not sure if I am going to taste these right away or put them in the bunker with my other BTECs...

The rice is still the better one to the oats. I pulled out my oats bottle last night, it had been banished since i last posted.

Sadly, it did not improve with some air and age. If anything, it tasted worse-much worse. A bit like wet, manured and pee'd barn hay on the floor.

I know, not pleasant, but it was the taste that came to mind. Not that I've had such a thing before, but it reminded me of walking through almost every animal barn I've been too over the years.

I think I may end of dumping it. It just is not worth the punishment of drinking it.

B

I think I may end of dumping it. It just is not worth the punishment of drinking it.

B

I dumped mine. Go ahead. Set it free! :lol:

Thanks. As much as it pains me too, I think I will tonight.

B

PS, keep up the good work on the mag, always love the site of a new issue in the mailbox!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.