Abraham Bowman BOURBON

dmarkle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So here's a new one for you. I just picked up a bottle two days ago for a Christmas gift, and can't crack it open :-(. It's Abraham Bowman BOURBON. Here's what's on the handwritten label:

Proof (138.6) 69.3% alc/vol

Distilled 01-18-93

Bottled 09-12-11

Description Bourbon Whiskey

Has anyone tried this? I loved their last release of rye. At this proof, I wonder if this is a (slightly) more accessible version of Stagg -- I mean, this stuff is probably distilled at BT, since Bowman is Sazerac, right? There's all this stuff on the bottle saying it's "produced" at Bowman in Fredericksburg, but it doesn't say where it's distilled.

So here's a new one for you. I just picked up a bottle two days ago for a Christmas gift, and can't crack it open :-(. It's Abraham Bowman BOURBON. Here's what's on the handwritten label:

Distilled 01-18-93

Bottled 09-12-11

Has anyone tried this? I loved their last release of rye. At this proof, I wonder if this is a (slightly) more accessible version of Stagg -- I mean, this stuff is probably distilled at BT, since Bowman is Sazerac, right? There's all this stuff on the bottle saying it's "produced" at Bowman in Fredericksburg, but it doesn't say where it's distilled.

3 days and counting until I make it back home to get the TPS Bowman Rye and Bourbon. They came highly recommended from a couple or sources on the forum. I wanted to get them before I left a couple of days ago but work and home schedules did not cooperate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distilled 01-18-93

Bottled 09-12-11

That bottle is outstandinglytabulously good.

Love your descriptive terminology Sky...how many have you bunkered since tasting it at Bowman last month? ;)

Love your descriptive terminology Sky...how many have you bunkered since tasting it at Bowman last month? ;)

Just one in the bunker, and one open. I probably should've picked up another bottle or two, but I'm not sweating it. There has been more than enough good bourbon flowing through the pipeline lately.

Just one in the bunker, and one open. I probably should've picked up another bottle or two, but I'm not sweating it. There has been more than enough good bourbon flowing through the pipeline lately.
Yeah...I grabbed 3 of the gift shop bottle, 2 PS #5, and 1 PS #1...that's more then enough to last a good while. You on the other hand that would last a couple months! :slappin:

I review it in the new Reader. While it's more wood than I normally like, the other side of the coin is an intense fruitiness that is very nice. I compared it to the Cognac-finished Parker's. It has that kind of richness. Very nicely done.

How much did you guys pay. I said about $70. Worth it, I think.

I review it in the new Reader. While it's more wood than I normally like, the other side of the coin is an intense fruitiness that is very nice. I compared it to the Cognac-finished Parker's. It has that kind of richness. Very nicely done.

How much did you guys pay. I said about $70. Worth it, I think.

I paid a little under 70. For 138.6 proof GOOD whiskey, that is value for money IMO.

You on the other hand that would last a couple months! :slappin:

Months...doubtful...weeks...maybe...but only if it was open.

• 3 weeks later...

Just cracked my bottle. Intense caramel notes - first sip - boy id thid hot n spicy! Added a little water - now i smell figs - toasty oak finish with a lingering brown sugar taste.

• 3 weeks later...

Any newer/further updates on this one? I am about to buy a TPS Barrel #1 bottle. Been sittin on the fence a couple of weeks waiting til payday. From all I read, barrel #1 is considered 3rd place behind the Bowman gift shop & TPS Barrel #5 bottles. However, beggars can't be choosy!

Any reason I should hold off and wait for another barrel release in the future???

Any newer/further updates on this one? I am about to buy a TPS Barrel #1 bottle. Been sittin on the fence a couple of weeks waiting til payday. From all I read, barrel #1 is considered 3rd place behind the Bowman gift shop & TPS Barrel #5 bottles. However, beggars can't be choosy!

Any reason I should hold off and wait for another barrel release in the future???

I wouldn't wait on this one as they might not bottle this expression again. 18 year old bourbons aren't exactly plentiful. 11 bottles left at TPS.

I wouldn't wait on this one as they might not bottle this expression again. 18 year old bourbons aren't exactly plentiful. 11 bottles left at TPS.

Words of wisdom!

I don't believe the bottle I have, which didn't come from TPS, is single barrel. I suspect TPS didn't have much to choose from and the single barrel isn't much different from the general release. I agree with the consensus. If you have any interest in this product and have a chance to snag some, don't wait.

I don't believe the bottle I have, which didn't come from TPS, is single barrel. I suspect TPS didn't have much to choose from and the single barrel isn't much different from the general release. I agree with the consensus. If you have any interest in this product and have a chance to snag some, don't wait.

From all I hear, there was not much volume in these releases. Kinda surprised anybody got private barrel opportunities. Usually, I will buy a couple of anything in which I have interest that is in short supply. That way, if I like it, I have another in the bunker. If I don't, always somebody out there who does and trade could be in order. So, I went ahead and took the plunge for a single. Can't hurt to have one more older age-stated bottle while we can still get it....lol

• 4 weeks later...

Didnt see a thread on the Rye but I see Party Source has the 90 proof rye instock right now but appears to be different than the bottling they had before at the same price. Anyone tried this bottling at all?

Are the others still available anywhere in VA?

Didnt see a thread on the Rye but I see Party Source has the 90 proof rye instock right now but appears to be different than the bottling they had before at the same price. Anyone tried this bottling at all?

Are the others still available anywhere in VA?

The 90 proof was just being rolled out all of NoVA last week (the stores in the southern part of the state don't carry it for whatever reason) and the gift shop also has it in stock. I was a little apprehensive to pay $70 for a 10yr 90 proof rye, especially considering the (older) barrel strength bourbon and ryes under the same label, but I bought a bottle anyway. Good rye (and I'm assuming it's good based on the strength of those past releases) is just not that easy to come by these days. With that said, I haven't opened the bottle...I just have too many open already. I am also very curious to hear others' opinions!

The 90 proof was just being rolled out all of NoVA last week (the stores in the southern part of the state don't carry it for whatever reason) and the gift shop also has it in stock. I was a little apprehensive to pay $70 for a 10yr 90 proof rye, especially considering the (older) barrel strength bourbon and ryes under the same label, but I bought a bottle anyway. Good rye (and I'm assuming it's good based on the strength of those past releases) is just not that easy to come by these days. With that said, I haven't opened the bottle...I just have too many open already. I am also very curious to hear others' opinions!

The 90 proof was sitting next to the barrel proof ryes at TPS and have been there for months. I sat there scratching my head when I got the barrel proof the 90 was exactly the same price and right next to each other. I almost picked up the wrong one. They must have just put them on the website. I would assume it is fantastic whiskey just a but not going to spend $72 on 90 proof right now. To many others on the to do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice bourbon that is quickly moving off the shelves. The gift shop at Bowman is sold out. It will be interesting to see if the 2012/2013 18YO release will be as good.... for sure it will be a very small offering.

Very nice bourbon that is quickly moving off the shelves. The gift shop at Bowman is sold out. It will be interesting to see if the 2012/2013 18YO release will be as good.... for sure it will be a very small offering.

Are you sure there is going to be a 2012/2013 release? I called the distillery a few weeks ago looking for a bottle and they were simply apologetic that they were out...and then up-sold the rye. They made it sound like the 18 yr was a one time fluke thing.

Tough to be sure about anything in this business.... but I think Abraham is going to be around for a while.... hanging out with Parker , Geo. T, William Larue, EH and the rest of the gang who seem to come out of hiding at least once a year...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.