I have fallen in love with Islay single malts

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've tried quite a few low to mid-range scotches and have liked most. But they've always taken a back seat to my love for bourbon. A few months ago I decided to buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10yr out of curiosity. At around $45 in my area it was probably the most I had spent on a bottle of scotch up until that point. I tried it and liked it alright but it sat in my liquor cabinet untouched until a few days ago when I decided to give it another go. This time I tried it neat in a glencairn glass and I was simply blown away by the flavors. There is just so much there with the peat and smoke that I have fallen in love with the Islay single malts. Fast forward to last night and I ended up finding and purchasing Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Ardbeg 10yr. And now I'm seriously eyeing a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr that is locked up at one of my local retailers. At $80-something I'm having difficulty justifying it but I am dying to try it.

Well, anyway... I didn't plan on spending my Christmas money on scotch but I guess that's how these things go. :rolleyes:

I don't always drink scotch. But, when I do, I prefer Lagavulin 16.

BTW, Lagavulin 16 is one of only 3 scotches that have the endorsement of GBS.

I made a plea to myself not buying any whisky 10 years ago. I doesn't go too well really

Glad I made the plea thou, if I hadnt I wouldnt be able to get around my apartment for bottles :-)

Steffen

If I am going to drink single malt it will be from Islay. Laphroig is great. But my favorite is the plain old Bowmore legend. It has a character all its own that is very easy to pick out. It has the peat and a big cracker malt taste along with the peat. In fact, if you see the cheaper Mcclelland own label malts, the islay version is four year old bowmore. An excellent buy at 18 bucks a 750. Also great are black bottle and islay mist blended Scotches. I have a few fermenters going right now of medium peated scottish malted barley. The smell is amazing.

In fact, if you see the cheaper Mcclelland own label malts, the islay version is four year old bowmore. An excellent buy at 18 bucks a 750.

I'm almost positive I saw this when I bought the Laphroaig QC and Ardbeg 10. But, I knew nothing about it and then when I saw the price I assumed it wasn't worth buying. But thanks for the heads up! I will definitely pick one up next time I go to the store.

I've tried quite a few low to mid-range scotches and have liked most. But they've always taken a back seat to my love for bourbon. A few months ago I decided to buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10yr out of curiosity. At around $45 in my area it was probably the most I had spent on a bottle of scotch up until that point. I tried it and liked it alright but it sat in my liquor cabinet untouched until a few days ago when I decided to give it another go. This time I tried it neat in a glencairn glass and I was simply blown away by the flavors. There is just so much there with the peat and smoke that I have fallen in love with the Islay single malts. Fast forward to last night and I ended up finding and purchasing Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Ardbeg 10yr. And now I'm seriously eyeing a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr that is locked up at one of my local retailers. At $80-something I'm having difficulty justifying it but I am dying to try it.

Well, anyway... I didn't plan on spending my Christmas money on scotch but I guess that's how these things go. :rolleyes:

Welcome, its a great world to explore, I certainly love it. The $80 for Lagavulin 16 is not a bad price actually.

Another one I think you should try is the Caol Ila 12year, all the signature Islay goodness resides in that one.

Another one I think you should try is the Caol Ila 12year, all the signature Islay goodness resides in that one.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find it here.

BTW, Lagavulin 16 is one of only 3 scotches that have the endorsement of GBS.

Dying to know, what are the other 2?

Laiphrog...Talisker...Ardbeg Uigeadail...these are the scotches that have kept me firmly on the bourbon side. Don't know how anybody likes the taste of bandaids that much.

However, a few scotches have me coming back for more - an older 12YO Balvenie sloped shoulder bottle and the current Aberlour A'Bunadh.

I like Islay malts but I disagree with the perception that they are the be-all-end-all of Scotch malt whisky. I've spoken with too many people who frown on Scotches with low phenol levels, writing them off as simplistic. I often find the opposite is true: very smoky Scotch can come across as one-dimensional.

But, to each their own. For me, single malts are all about variety. Glenkinchie offers things that Laphroaig doesn't, and vice versa. I like it all.

The best Islay malts I've tried so far are Lagavulin 16 and 12, Bowmore Tempest, and Connoiseur's Choice Caol Ila 10.

I like Islay malts but I disagree with the perception that they are the be-all-end-all of Scotch malt whisky. I've spoken with too many people who frown on Scotches with low phenol levels, writing them off as simplistic. I often find the opposite is true: very smoky Scotch can come across as one-dimensional.

But, to each their own. For me, single malts are all about variety. Glenkinchie offers things that Laphroaig doesn't, and vice versa. I like it all.

The best Islay malts I've tried so far are Lagavulin 16 and 12, Bowmore Tempest, and Connoiseur's Choice Caol Ila 10.

I love Laphroaig - it's the drink that got me in to the whole whisk(e)y - that and Springbank 10/100.

If you love the Islay's, then try some Campbeltown - Springbank & Longrow. Sprinbank is lightly peated and usually has a good sherry finish of some kind, and Longrow is more heavily peated (about like the standard Islays), but it comes out differently.

Longrow & Sprinbank CV's are a great intro to the family - and usually affordable ($50 & $40 respectively on average).

I second the nominations for Laphroaig QC and Caol Ila 12. Caol Ila is probably my favorite among the Islays. if you can find young (6-8 year old) Cask Strength independent bottlings (like from Binny's), don't pass them up - they can be amazing at $50-$60 a pop.

BTW, to the OP, if you like the ten, try Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Well worth the extra $$.

I picked up the Laphroaig Quarter Cask when I got the Ardbeg 10yr. Not sure I like it as much as I like the regular 10yr Laphroaig. But I need more time with the QC to make up my mind fully.

Also, today I got Lagavulin 16yr. I had a tiny sip of it earlier in the day but, like the QC, I will need more time with it.

I did not see Caol Ila at the store. But I did see the McClleland's (SP?) Islay for about $18. I passed on it though since the Lagavulin was so much. I'll try it another time. Oh, and I saw the Bowmore Legend. I forget how much it was though.

I want to thank you all for your help. I didn't expect such a response since it's a site devoted to Bourbon. Good to know there are others out there that like to explore different whiskies! It's nice to mix it up once in awhile. Bourbon is still my favorite. I just got a little burned out on it.

Don't forget to pick up a slice of blue cheese (the good kind) to go along with the Lagavulin 16!

Trust me, it's a match made in Heaven.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I would get the Bowmore Tempest before the Legend.

I'm a huge Islay fan. Lagavulin 12 cask strength is probably one of my all time favorite whiskies.... period. There isn't an Islay I don't like. I love Talisker, but it isn't really an Islay.... despite the similarities.

Even though I'm a big fan of peaty, smokey Scotch, I love all Scotch whisky, regardless of region.

Ok, I'm spending some serious time with the Lagavulin 16yr right now (trying it neat). And out of the 4 Islay single malts that I currently have (Laphroaig 10yr, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Ardbeg 10yr and the Lagavulin 16yr) the Lagavulin just might be my favorite. Until I tried it I was stuck on the Laphroaig 10yr. Don't get me wrong, the Quarter Cask and the Ardbeg are great. But I love something about the finish of the "standard" Laphroaig. However this Lagavulin is exceptional. It is very smooth and balanced while still having the peat and smoke. I think it will disappear into a safe place along with my small Pappy collection and my 2011 William Larue Weller.

Ok, I'm spending some serious time with the Lagavulin 16yr right now (trying it neat). And out of the 4 Islay single malts that I currently have (Laphroaig 10yr, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Ardbeg 10yr and the Lagavulin 16yr) the Lagavulin just might be my favorite.

There's something truly special about the Lagavulin 16 - and 12. I've got a bottle of 21 year old, and it's truly amazing. But for the regularly available, non-hunted/hard to find Scotches, the Lagavulin certainly ranks near the top for the money (wish it was always $50-$60, but I buy lots when it's on sale for those prices!)

I had a good 2 month run obsessing over Islay malts. I may have spooked some of my bourbon pals in this odd state, as I spent that 2 months basically worrying that I didn't love bourbon any more. It quickly passed. My obsession with Islay taught me a lot more about bourbon than a lot of the shitty mid-range crap bottles so beloved around here (here's looking at you ETL) ever did.

I came out of my Islay phase an even more devoted bourbon fan.

Busted out a few Islays last night, and I just can't take them -- right now, that is. The greatest lesson I learned was that not only do our palates evolve, our preferences can be cyclical.

Oddly enough, my Islay craving came in the midst of a humid Chicago summer. These are so obviously, so quintessentially cold winter's evening malts.

In any event, I'm looking forward to the time when I have a craving for these amazing whiskeys again.

I had a good 2 month run obsessing over Islay malts. I may have spooked some of my bourbon pals in this odd state, as I spent that 2 months basically worrying that I didn't love bourbon any more. It quickly passed. My obsession with Islay taught me a lot more about bourbon than a lot of the shitty mid-range crap bottles so beloved around here (here's looking at you ETL) ever did.

I came out of my Islay phase an even more devoted bourbon fan.

Busted out a few Islays last night, and I just can't take them -- right now, that is. The greatest lesson I learned was that not only do our palates evolve, our preferences can be cyclical.

Oddly enough, my Islay craving came in the midst of a humid Chicago summer. These are so obviously, so quintessentially cold winter's evening malts.

In any event, I'm looking forward to the time when I have a craving for these amazing whiskeys again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.