I have fallen in love with Islay single malts

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thank you for your comment. I think I'm in a similar situation here. I haven't had any bourbon for a few weeks now and I'm honestly a bit worried that I won't be able to go back to it. :shocked:

Sure you will.:cool:

I came to Bourbon from Scotch, and I felt the same way you are feeling now.... just opposite!:lol:

I love both styles of whisk(e)y, and I find I go for months at a time drinking Bourbon without lifting a dram of Scotch. I still love Scotch, and I always will, but it's great to have a few different styles of whisk(e)y to enjoy as the mood strikes.:grin:

Just wanted to chime in and thank everyone who offered up an

"Islay-type" suggestion. My wife is an Islay fan who enjoys the

occasional tipple of Ardbeg (not so much the 10 but a long time

Corryvreckan drinker so I gave an Alligator for x-mas!), Big Peat,

Smokehead and (to a lesser extent) Black Bottle. It's always tricky

buying a bottle you think someone might like (god bless Drinks

By The Dram!) so the suggestions here will surely come in handy.

And if anyone spots a Big Peat Santa on the shelf and wants to

hook me up, feel free to click the PM button! :grin:

Kilchoman is a must try. Any of their releases. I'm a big fan. The juice is only 3 years old and quite delicious. Anthony Wills and his team are doing an incredible job.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laiphrog...Talisker...Ardbeg Uigeadail...these are the scotches that have kept me firmly on the bourbon side. Don't know how anybody likes the taste of bandaids that much.

However, a few scotches have me coming back for more - an older 12YO Balvenie sloped shoulder bottle and the current Aberlour A'Bunadh.

Just like Bourbon, or any spirit for that matter, it is an acquired taste. Two years ago I couldn't stand the smell of Ardbeg, now I absolutely crave the Uigea. I used to badmouth scotch drinkers too, then my pallette changed. I have no idea how or why, but I find that now I get a richer enjoyment out of all whiskeys because of it, that includes enjoying bourbon even more than before because I seem to get 'more' out of them.

Laiphrog...Talisker...Ardbeg Uigeadail...these are the scotches that have kept me firmly on the bourbon side. Don't know how anybody likes the taste of bandaids that much.

However, a few scotches have me coming back for more - an older 12YO Balvenie sloped shoulder bottle and the current Aberlour A'Bunadh.

Bandaid tsk tsk. The appetizing term for that tasting note is "medicinal" :slappin:

(I know a girl who described it as old worn-out bandaids...)

End of the day it's a true lover or hate flavour and Laphroaig used to have a slogan that on a scale from 1 to 10 they got 2-9

Steffen

I overdid myself hiking in the mountains today (17 km.!!:bigeyes:- a record for me!) and now I'm enjoying an Ardbeg 10 as my legs stiffen and cramp up. Funny thing was off and on during the hike, I kept thinking about a pour of bourbon (or maybe rye), but when I got home, I reached for the Ardbeg. ... don't know why, and not even sure it was the right choice ... got an open bottle of Woodford Reserve ... I move freely around from bourbon to rye to single malts to Irish.. like 'em all. ... some I like a lot.

For Ilays, like everybody else, I like Lagavulin 16 (12, too, but that's cask strength and a very different animal), but it's too expensive for me. Laphroaig QC may be my favorite that I can regularly get at a reasonable price ( at least half that of Lagavulin). Caol Ila cask strength is way up on my list (still waiting to try the 12 y.o.). Somebody mentioned the Caol Ila 8 y.o. cask strength- that's "unpeated style" and so is quite different (but really good) from what you'd expect of an Islay. Talisker (Isle of Skye) is not an Islay, but its nice and peaty and I can understand how it gets lumped in there- it's also high on my list. I know Bowmore is an Islay, but it never tastes like one to me. Try Finlaggan: get the 'Old Reserve', not the 'Original Peaty'. It's as cheap as Islays come, and it's excellent juice (from a secret distillery... maybe Caol Ila, maybe even :bowdown:Lagavulin:bigeyes:!

Ah,... Ardbeg: creosote, tar, Testor's airplane glue, bicycle accidents, walk-in clinics, hint of Bo-peep amonia and ... heather?

Love it.:lol:

...did I forget 'wet dog'?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really enjoying Jura Prophecy recently. I know, not an Islay, but from the island right next door and quite peaty. To me it tastes like Talisker turned up to 11. Not subtle but very enjoyable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.