New Willett bourbons

bad_scientist
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I got to try a 5 year old Willett bourbon called "Matinee". This just got released around here, along with a 7 year called "French Connection" and an 18 year called "No Chemists Allowed".

The 5 year tasted EXACTLY like Buffalo Trace, and is the first Willett I've had that tasted like any BT product. Surprisingly, it didn't have much heat, though it was over 120 proof. Unfortunately, the higher proof did not result in more complexity.

Anyone else have some recent Willett bourbons? I know there's a thread for the rye, so this is specifically for bourbon.

Every bottle sold under Willett brand is a single barrel of something and other than those bottles that came from that barrel, no 2 are exactly alike. Some retailer our restaurant in your area has given names to some of his bottles.

Last night I got to try a 5 year old Willett bourbon called "Matinee". This just got released around here, along with a 7 year called "French Connection" and an 18 year called "No Chemists Allowed".

No Chemists allowed, eh? I wonder what distillery they're implying that one came from.

Interesting that the 5yr tasted just like BT. I know of one other recent case where BT sold bulk juice just recently.

A few months back a Wisconsin rectifier/distiller just released a product called Kinnikinnick Whiskey(Named after a river in Milwaukee.) that's a blend of 80% BT, along with 20% of their own single malt. They don't come out and say it's BT, but the truth leaked out.

So BT is selling juice.

Interesting that the 5yr tasted just like BT. I know of one other recent case where BT sold bulk juice just recently.

A few months back a Wisconsin rectifier/distiller just released a product called Kinnikinnick Whiskey(Named after a river in Milwaukee.) that's a blend of 80% BT, along with 20% of their own single malt. They don't come out and say it's BT, but the truth leaked out.

So BT is selling juice.

If BT wants to keep it a secret, they should stop selling barrels that taste exactly like what is in the bottles labeled "Buffalo Trace".

That Kinnikinnick sounds awesome - BT tastes to me like malted milk powder, so some single malt added could be awesome. Have you tried it?

Hey Wade, there's a retailer (or distributor) up in the DC area that has named the various Willett's they have done. Several of the guys involved in that are members here but do not post often (Jake_Parrot is one). Remember their bottlings "Iron Fist" and "Velvet Glove". IIRC, those were some of the old ryes KBD did. I'd bet these bottlings are from them.

Randy

I didn't pick up on that until my commute home!

edit: I think it's the closest anyone has come to confirming that the 18 years are from Bernheim. Not all the old ones are - K&L states outright that their 20 year Willett is SW - but I think it's funny that someone just went, "Oh, heck with it" and named it after the OF sign.

By the way, I'd really like to know how the K&L 20 year is... I think it's been watered down, since it's less than 100 proof, but I guess PVW20 is, as well.

I think some of the fudging over the origins of the stuff is that there was a lot of wheated bourbon that was distilled at Bernheim but aged at S-W. So that could be said to be from S-W even if it wasn't distilled there.

Private bottlers and others realize S-W has marketing appeal among enthusiasts so they try to play up that angle when it's available.

Hey Wade, there's a retailer (or distributor) up in the DC area that has named the various Willett's they have done. Several of the guys involved in that are members here but do not post often (Jake_Parrot is one). Remember their bottlings "Iron Fist" and "Velvet Glove". IIRC, those were some of the old ryes KBD did. I'd bet these bottlings are from them.

Randy

That would be Ledroit Brands, and these Willetts definitely are selected by them.

If BT wants to keep it a secret, they should stop selling barrels that taste exactly like what is in the bottles labeled "Buffalo Trace".

That Kinnikinnick sounds awesome - BT tastes to me like malted milk powder, so some single malt added could be awesome. Have you tried it?

The Single Malt component is VERY young, and while they're not saying, I've heard it's no older than a year. It tastes like a decent Bourbon that had a vatting disaster.

That would be Ledroit Brands, and these Willetts definitely are selected by them.

I believe that is Jake Parrott, IIRC.

I believe that is Jake Parrott, IIRC.

Sure is. He works for Ledroit and picks the Willetts they distribute. They distribute all the KBD stuff in the area.

If he is reading this - do you know if Vintage Rye was a one-off or are there more bottlings in the works, of any age?

Sure is. He works for Ledroit and picks the Willetts they distribute. They distribute all the KBD stuff in the area.

If he is reading this - do you know if Vintage Rye was a one-off or are there more bottlings in the works, of any age?

Don't hold out much hope for any more Vintage Rye. I've heard that the last bits and pieces of those old stocks are destined for the Hirsch 25yr Rye, and maybe whatever old Michter that may appear.

Well, crap. There's one Vintage Rye 23 source I've still got, but it's going to cost me over $100 a bottle. Considering it's likely the same stuff as half of the Van Winkle Rye, just a bit older, that's in the ballpark but a bit high for me.

I had the 7 year Willett in my area tonight - maybe also BT juice, but a bit of lemon in the flavor profile made me less than 100% confident. BT denied, at least a year ago, that they sold bulk whiskey, but I stand by the similarity to the 5 year Willett (plus the stuff in Wisconsin), and this 7 year is mighty similar. Also, consider the names:

Buffalo Trace owned by Sazerac, a French name

5 year Willett : Matinee, a French word connoting young, which a 5 year is in the bourbon world

7 year Willett: French Connection, a direct reference to Sazerac?

I don't mind if they do, and since I like BT, I hope they sell as much as they can, especially since people have been clamoring for Blanton's at barrel proof since time immemorial. BT, if this is BT, is definitely NOT selling Blanton-quality barrels to DC wholesalers, I'm sorry to say, but one can hope...

edit: I made a mistake: that would be KBD selling BT juice to the area, not BT itself, so maybe KBD or others have Blanton-quality barrels at cask strength. It just hasn't made it here yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody seen or had any Willett 6 year old of late? I saw some listed by an online retailer and wondered if it is a new bottling or one that has been out for a while. They seem to randomly release these in 'spurts'...hard to keep up with all of them as well as differentiate between some of same aged.

What kind of prices on the 5-yr Willett rye are you seeing? I saw the 3 & 5 priced exactly same, thought that was curious.

What kind of prices on the 5-yr Willett rye are you seeing? I saw the 3 & 5 priced exactly same, thought that was curious.

I'm getting the 5-year rye for $33.

Anybody seen or had any Willett 6 year old of late? I saw some listed by an online retailer and wondered if it is a new bottling or one that has been out for a while. They seem to randomly release these in 'spurts'...hard to keep up with all of them as well as differentiate between some of same aged.

A bunch were released here in the past 2-3 months, but no 6 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the new local 18 year Willett release. In DC it was given a name, "No Chemists Allowed", which, in case you haven't gone over old posts, was the content of a sign at the entrance of the Old Fitzgerald distillery. That pretty much declares it was an OF recipe, but since it was made in 1993, it was post-SW. Whatever the provenance, it's easily the best Willett I've had. It was very much cinnamon and spice, which along with the vanilla and maple syrup made me think of nothing else but French toast. With water the nose was diluted to the point that nosing it was useless, but the palate retained most of its flavor.

The DC bottlings often follow the national releases in age and general tasting notes, indicating a similar origin, though there are many exceptions to this rule. The prices of the new 18 years are $120-150, so it's a lot to invest, but this was is 71.2%, so you're getting quite a hefty bourbon. Anybody else have tasting notes on 18 years in other markets?

The prices of the new 18 years are $120-150, so it's a lot to invest, but this was is 71.2%, so you're getting quite a hefty bourbon.

Initial thought: think I'll stick with Stagg for now at $65-75. Willett is very good juice most of the time from all I've read/heard...but they sure are proud of it.

Initial thought: think I'll stick with Stagg for now at $65-75. Willett is very good juice most of the time from all I've read/heard...but they sure are proud of it.

Yep, I won't be buying another one, despite the quality. I think, other than a couple of the PHC releases and the EC 20 offered at the HH gift shop, the Willett 18s have the highest retail price tags of any bourbons. Only if you have a LOT of money to burn.

I saw the Willett's 20yo on "sale" yesterday at Spec's for $139. After tasting it at Poison Girl (at least I think it was their 20yo, very one dimensional), it won't even be on the radar for me.

Randy

I saw the Willett's 20yo on "sale" yesterday at Spec's for $139. After tasting it at Poison Girl (at least I think it was their 20yo, very one dimensional), it won't even be on the radar for me.

Randy

I think they water down the 20 year, as well. The ones I've seen are much lower proof than anything else they release. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one.

I'm starting to think that what I had last night was a lucky bottle. I've had 7 or 8 of the 17/18 years and I'd say 2 of them are worth buying.

From K&L Wine's latest whisk(e)y newsletter:

4) Willett Samples on the way! We’ve managed to get Willett to sell us one of their last Stitzel Weller barrels, unfiltered, and at cask strength. We’re not sure we actually want one yet, but we’re at least going to taste what’s left. Willett originally sold Jefferson’s their barrels of SW juice, so we’re basically going around them to the source. Hopefully we’ll all get another crack at a great SW bottle if their reserves yield something promising.

Willett is the source of all the JPS stuff?!?!?! Why are they bottling the Bernheim/mystery origin wheaters when they have/had SW? Maybe they had so much, they couldn't sell it, and the guys who own Jefferson's made them a great deal?

Makes me wonder how many of those Willett 17 and 18 years distilled in 1992 or earlier are SW. My local bar had a Willett that was definitely SW, confirmed by the guys who picked the barrel, and by the taste.

From K&L Wine's latest whisk(e)y newsletter:

4) Willett Samples on the way! We’ve managed to get Willett to sell us one of their last Stitzel Weller barrels, unfiltered, and at cask strength. We’re not sure we actually want one yet, but we’re at least going to taste what’s left. Willett originally sold Jefferson’s their barrels of SW juice, so we’re basically going around them to the source. Hopefully we’ll all get another crack at a great SW bottle if their reserves yield something promising.

Can you post the link to that. Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.