New Willett bourbons

bad_scientist
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes, water changes it dramatically. Now that this bottle has had a chance to get some more air, I'm liking it more than when I opened it. It's still very unusual -- deviant, even -- but it's a lot of fun. Still prefer it with water, rather than neat.

Anyone besides me and Restaurant Man tried this one?

Not yet but I am getting ready to get a couple of these soon. I was browsing thru here tonite looking to see if anyone had any notes on 372. It sounds so interesting & unusual...right down my palate alley. Any update from either of you or anyone else before I pull the ole trigger?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone run across any new bottles of Willett that are wheaters? I read that Binny's is offering an 8 year this fall, but nothing besides that.

• 1 month later...

A new set of Willetts just came out in DC, and two of them are wheaters. At least one of them is 8 years old. I went to my local bar yesterday to try them out, but they had sold out of both, though they still had plenty of the other 5 new releases. I guess they get the local seal of approval!

The last 8 year Willett wheater I had was phenomenally tasty, like "if it wouldn't kill me, I'd drink the entire bottle in one sitting" good. Not terribly complex, but I was too busy smiling to care. If the new ones are half as good, I'm sold.

In case anyone in DC is interested in the Willetts, I can say that the new ones all taste like Heaven Hill products. They trend towards the malty (1783 or EWSB) profile and not the minty, corny (HH BiB) style. My favorite is the Paul Robeson, which carries some nice, strong black tea notes with the malty sweetness. I ranked Origami next, which was just sweet at barrel proof but opened up with a drop of water. Next came Kaffieklip, which was like a lacquered wood table, in a good way. Cream d'epice and Scrumpy Spice were tied for last, since they were the closest to normal HH products, though both were worth trying. I might get the Paul Robeson, but only if I can find a deal on it. I can't believe how much Willett and the local retailers charge for whiskeys that basically are souped-up EW 1783.

edit: I'm easily fooled, so while I pegged them all as HH, I don't know that for sure. Also, if you live in the area or are visiting, the bartenders at Bourbon are the best in the biz.

Edited by bad_scientist

I bought the new 6 year with gold wax....not that great. It's minty, corny and overly hot. Although I haven't spent too much time with it. I will report on it later after Nov17th when I host my Barrel Strength Bourbon tasting. This 6yr Willett is included.

I bought the new 6 year with gold wax....not that great. It's minty, corny and overly hot. Although I haven't spent too much time with it. I will report on it later after Nov17th when I host my Barrel Strength Bourbon tasting. This 6yr Willett is included.

There used to be a code to the colors, at least an informal one, that related to the mash bill. I thought red was wheater, but it really depends, I guess, on what the customer requests.

I got a 9 year Willett from TPS and it tasted like cask strength Ezra Brooks. I like EB, so I didn't have trouble drinking it, but it lacked any real character. The new DC Willetts also don't have much oomph to them. I don't know how carefully the guys at TPS pick, or what their criteria are, but the guys in DC who've been picking Willetts for many years definitely take great care with their choices. It's kind of troubling, then, that the past 7 bottlings I've tried in DC haven't been up to the quality of past offerings. I don't know if KBD stocks are low or what. I don't think it's my palate, since I had an older one last night, as well, and it blew me away.

There used to be a code to the colors, at least an informal one, that related to the mash bill.

The guy at the store said it denotes different barrels.

Willett Single Barrel color on label on the family crest code is Rye Whiskey is green and Bourbon is purple or least that what it has been on all the bottlings I know about.

Edited by wadewood
clarify colors were about crest, not wax

Willett Single Barrel color code is Rye Whiskey is green and Bourbon is purple or least that what it has been on all the bottlings I know about.

Of the Willett bourbons on the shelf at Spec's it was Gold Wax 6yr, Purple Wax 7yr and a Black Wax 7r. Between the two 7yrs they were from different barrels. I remember because I found it odd that one barrel yielded only 195 bottles at 7yrs and at 119 proof. The other 7yr had 286 bottles at 125 proof. Weird.

I was not referring to wax colors but colors in the Willett Crest on label. KBD will let you pick from variety of wax colors.

Variation of barrel yield is not unusual at all. These 2 barrels could have been stored in completely different warehouses.

I was not referring to wax colors but colors in the Willett Crest on label. KBD will let you pick from variety of wax colors.

Variation of barrel yield is not unusual at all. These 2 barrels could have been stored in completely different warehouses.

Hey Ben, those new Willetts were featured, among others, at that bourbon tasting I emailed you about. I agreed that the Paul Robeson was good, but I also liked the Scrumpy Spice, despite the goofy name. You won't be able to find it for sale in a store, but gt yourself over to Jack Rose and sample the Tobacco Road- its astounding, but incredibly limited. Apparently it was a leaky barrel and they only got 62 bottles.

A new set of Willetts just came out in DC, and two of them are wheaters. At least one of them is 8 years old. I went to my local bar yesterday to try them out, but they had sold out of both, though they still had plenty of the other 5 new releases. I guess they get the local seal of approval!

The last 8 year Willett wheater I had was phenomenally tasty, like "if it wouldn't kill me, I'd drink the entire bottle in one sitting" good. Not terribly complex, but I was too busy smiling to care. If the new ones are half as good, I'm sold.

In case anyone in DC is interested in the Willetts, I can say that the new ones all taste like Heaven Hill products. They trend towards the malty (1783 or EWSB) profile and not the minty, corny (HH BiB) style. My favorite is the Paul Robeson, which carries some nice, strong black tea notes with the malty sweetness. I ranked Origami next, which was just sweet at barrel proof but opened up with a drop of water. Next came Kaffieklip, which was like a lacquered wood table, in a good way. Cream d'epice and Scrumpy Spice were tied for last, since they were the closest to normal HH products, though both were worth trying. I might get the Paul Robeson, but only if I can find a deal on it. I can't believe how much Willett and the local retailers charge for whiskeys that basically are souped-up EW 1783.

edit: I'm easily fooled, so while I pegged them all as HH, I don't know that for sure. Also, if you live in the area or are visiting, the bartenders at Bourbon are the best in the biz.

Happen to know the "names" the wheaters were given for these new ones in D.C.? I saw two named "Thresher" and "Creme D' ESpice" that were an 8 and 7 year.

Thresher and Tobacco Road are the wheaters.

Jeremiah, Bourbon was sold out of Tobacco Road, though I didn't make it to Jack Rose. The wife wants to try out her new rain coat (seriously!), so we might take a walk up and down Adams Morgan later to see which adventurous bars are open. Maybe we'll get lucky!

Just picked up Willett Bourbon 7, 9, 16 and 20 here in Southern California. I have to say, the 20 and the 9 are sublime, instantly some of my favorite Bourbons.

Opened up the 8 year Thresher Wheater and it's amazing! I was expecting it to be heaven hill juice but it smells exactly like Buffalo Trace (Weller 107). Though not quite sure there was ever any "confirmation" of any barrels that they might of bought from BT, so it must just be an amazing Heaven Hill Barrel.

Edited by Awakened1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Retried a few DC Willetts yesterday. The Kaffieklip and Paul Robeson were exactly the same as I had described them, but I found the Scrumpy Spice to be completely different. I had written it off as a traditional, malty HH offering, but yesterday it came off as very similar to RHF. I detected nothing at all, in fact, in common with most HH whiskeys. Maybe my palate was shot the first time, as I was trying a large flight, but it's pretty embarrassing that I got it so wrong.

I also tried the Willett Thresher, an 8 year old wheater. When I opened it a week ago, it wasn't very interesting. Now, it's starting to take on some wood varnish notes and the sweetness is becoming more clarified, like a super-saturated brown sugar solution. Hopefully the next steps will be cherry and milk chocolate notes - then it'll be the PHC2010!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.