Ralfy takes apart JW Blue

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Never had the blue, either.

I like the Green. But its been a while. The last bottle I had called itself a vated malt. (I think) That was before the brewhaha over the use of the term.

Ralfy uses the term "malt blend" over blended malt due to the confusion.

That makes sense, the first term "malt" sets up the second "blend" and more clearly indicates just malt in the bottle vs "blended malt" which could make one think something other than malt was blended into malt whisky.

I don't own a bottle, and I probably never will, but I've tasted the Blue. Ralfy hit it on the nose. It's waaaaayyyyy over priced for nothing especially exceptional. I love the Green. The Black is good. The Red sucks.

I've had the entire flight of JW products.

I must say that the reviews are spot on. Red bad, Black OK, Green good, Gold why?, Blue snob appeal.

I've has several pours of Blue in a trendy bar in Chicago several years ago at a businessman expense. We both agreed that it was over-priced and over-hyped.

JW Blue is the same as Dom Perignon. It's only purchased by people who want to show off to other non-coinnoisseurs.

http://www.forpeatsake.com/Johnnie+Walker/Johnnie+Walker+Green+Label+15+Years+Old/

"Johnnie Walker Green Label is blended only from single malts which include its four signature malts Talisker, Cragganmore, Linkwood, and Caol Ila."

Well, at least it has good malts (don't know anything about Linkwood).

If I ever see it at a good price I may consider it. Binny's shows it for 69.99, which is more than most of the single malts going into it, assuming their standard expressions. Talisker 10 $59.99, Cragganmore 12 $49.99,

Caol Ila 12 $54.99, Linkwood maybe $59-69.

The green is worth it, I think. It is what you might call an "old highlands" style. In the same vein as Clynelish and Springbank while retaining the Walker identity.

I agree with all the comments so far. Johnny Blue and Bourbon Supreme are the best two examples I can think of that typify what's below my signature line.

JW Blue is the same as Dom Perignon. It's only purchased by people who want to show off to other non-coinnoisseurs.

I would disagree with this statement. Dom can be amazing and ages very well. I haven't had any older than the 82 but the 96 was awesome.

Better anology would be Ace of Spades champagne.

Too bad the Green was discontinued in Ontario, and then when it came back the price went up from $58 to $75. Should have bought some before.

I had a glass of Black Label the other night, and quite enjoyed it.

Ironically I read that the green label is being discontinued. Better start packing those cellars with bottles if you're a fan.

Where have you heard that? I remember reading the same rumors about a year and a half ago, and at the time I e-mailed Diageo about it and got a pretty solid response that the weren't discontinuing it. I no longer have that e-mail.

Not to say that they wouldn't change their minds.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the green truly discontinued?? I know a store that has a few bottles of it and I've been interested in trying it. If it's truly gone I'm going to pick up a few bottles of it...

I think the gold 18 is my favorite out of the JW lineup. Great value when its on sale at costco for $55

Apparently Costco gets all the good whisk(e)y, including Lagavulin 16 for under $60 (just ridiculous).

Just got done reading this month's Consumer Reports tonight and Costco blew away the competition.

It's now official....I'm switching from Sam's Club to Costco.

Apparently Costco gets all the good whisk(e)y, including Lagavulin 16 for under $60 (just ridiculous).

Just got done reading this month's Consumer Reports tonight and Costco blew away the competition.

And P.S., the Blue is the winner IMHO. I've tried them all. But for the price, the Gold is the hands down winner. I've tried the Blue several times at Whisk(e)y Expos/Fests and it's just not worth the additional cost compared to the Gold.

I find the Gold better in taste, irrespective of price. There is a super-aged element ("old books") to Blue which is attractive, but overall I think Gold is a better dram. Is Gold all-malt?

If not, I would think the grain element is fairly minimal whereas in the Blue iteration, I can taste the grain whisky every time I drink it (which is not too often!)...

Gary

Yup, gold for $55, Lagavulin 16 for $55 and Oban 14 for $45 are the three regulars I see every visit.

It seems that Costco doesn't carry the same things in all areas. I'm going to start a thread over in "Deals" so we don't get too off-topic here.

Very true. I have a friend who has a Costco membership here and I sent him after a Lagavulin for me. He said they didn't have it. So I'm fearful my local store won't have these wonderful expressions. Oh well, sounds like CR thinks they're better than Sam's anyway. I doubt whisky factored into their comparisons. :D

To answer the "all malt" question....I'm fairly certain all the JW releases are blends.

Very true. I have a friend who has a Costco membership here and I sent him after a Lagavulin for me. He said they didn't have it. So I'm fearful my local store won't have these wonderful expressions. Oh well, sounds like CR thinks they're better than Sam's anyway. I doubt whisky factored into their comparisons. :D

To answer the "all malt" question....I'm fairly certain all the JW releases are blends.

Josh, I don't think you need a Costco membership to buy liquor at any Costco that has a separate entrance liquor store.....

In MI you do not need to be a member to purchase alcohol or prescription drugs at Costco.

Unfortunately in MI Costco does not have a good selection and the price is state controlled. However I do strongly recommend purchasing generic prescription drugs at Costco. I buy a 3 month supply of a generic for <$10 by paying cash. If I went to a regular pharmacy and used my prescription plan it would cost me $45 in copay alone.

My doctor recommended Costco and she also told me that you may purchase alcohol without being a member.

I'm a member from time to time pending on my current needs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.