Ralfy takes apart JW Blue

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

To answer the "all malt" question....I'm fairly certain all the JW releases are blends.

They are all blends, but the Green label is a "blended malt scotch whisky" (fka vatted or pure malt) and the others are "blended scotch whisky".

They are all blends, but the Green label is a "blended malt scotch whisky" (fka vatted or pure malt) and the others are "blended scotch whisky".

The Green is sherried to hell, to my taste. Supposedly it has both Talisker and Caol Ila in it, but since I don't get much smoke or anything of the sort, I'm guessing they're unpeated.

The Green is sherried to hell, to my taste. Supposedly it has both Talisker and Caol Ila in it, but since I don't get much smoke or anything of the sort, I'm guessing they're unpeated.

Hmm. I love the Green but I couldn't drink a cask strength bottle of McCallan (my only experience with McCallan).

I get a fair amount of sherry influence but I wouldn't call it a sherry bomb like Aberlour or some others. There's definitely Talisker in there, though. It's not a huge part but if you nose and taste JW Green and Talisker 10 head to head you'll find it. The peat is mostly evident on the attack. It disappears in the mid-palate and finish, where the more delicate Speysides take over. Remember that they're not aiming for an agressive islander style, but rather more along the lines of old Highlands. Also, because it's 15 years old, the peat tends to mellow where some of the sherried aspects get louder.

I don't own a bottle, and I probably never will, but I've tasted the Blue. Ralfy hit it on the nose. It's waaaaayyyyy over priced for nothing especially exceptional. I love the Green. The Black is good. The Red sucks.

Yes. Yes. Yes and yes.:grin: I actually always have a 1.75L bottle of Black on hand and it goes over well with friends who want a little extra taste but don't want to be bowled over by their whisky. I would never buy a bottle of Blue at the price it goes for around here, but I did stand in line behind a guy who bought two cases of it recently when Binny's was having a 15% off sale on all spirits. Even with the discount it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Hmm. I love the Green but I couldn't drink a cask strength bottle of McCallan (my only experience with McCallan).

Well, if you're ever curious about sherried scotches, Glendronach Revival is a good example of a balanced one, much different from the Macallan CS. Not my cup of tea-colored whisky, but I'll admit it's good.

• 3 weeks later...
Apparently Costco gets all the good whisk(e)y, including Lagavulin 16 for under $60 (just ridiculous).

Just got done reading this month's Consumer Reports tonight and Costco blew away the competition.

It's now official....I'm switching from Sam's Club to Costco.

costco's pricing is regional. i've read about the prices costco charges for sm's in other markets (usually california). not the case here in texas. no big difference with the major liquor chains.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.