What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter/Spring 2012

CaptainQ
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stopping at a local store on the way home, they had Bookers on sale for $46.99. I cradled it for a few moments before remembering that I'd already spent my "whiskey budget" for the month :grin:

Passed on Woodford Reserve Master Collection Rye Set. It was "on sale" for $120 which just seemed ridiculous to me.

Passed up on a 2008 Birthday Bourbon. Never had it, but looking at some reviews it looks like maybe I should go back and grab a bottle. Thoughts?

EC18. The one I have now (with but one pour left in it), I picked up on sale for under $40 a few years ago, and it's been pretty good, but the only bottle I've seen since the news of it going away has been repriced up to $70, which feels a little overpriced.

4R Mariage 2009, also at $70, though this appears to be an average price for the bottle since its release. I haven't tried it yet, but the cost is feeling high compared to my bourbon budget.

Edited by Kalessin

Passed up on a 2008 Birthday Bourbon. Never had it, but looking at some reviews it looks like maybe I should go back and grab a bottle. Thoughts?

Depends on the price. I'm not sure what kind of bourbon you like, but I liked the '08 morethan the '11, and I liked the '10 more than any others I've had (except for a sample of the even better '02 that I was lucky to have at the Sampler). I'd probably pull the trigger on the '08 at around the $30 mark.

4R Mariage 2009, also at $70. I haven't tried it yet, but the price is making me wary of pulling the trigger.

If I lived anywhere near you I would ask you where that store was and run and buy it immediately. If you'd like to do a trade for it, PM me with interest!

Thanks. Was $32 and change, so if it's still there this weekend I'll probably go ahead and grab it.

Passed on a vintage 23 bourbon @ $145 but got 3 vintage 17 bourbon @ $79 each (delivered)

Weller SR 7yr

Baby Saz

RItt BIB

JPS 17yr and 18yr

Woodford Sweet Mash

Handy-lastest release

The last was the hardest to pass up.

B

I've been passing on far more bourbon than I've been purchasing. Recently, I've been tempted by:

CEHT Tornado - $69.99

CEHT Uncut/Unfiltered - $69.99

FRLESmB '11 - $79.99

FRLE1B '12 - $79.99

FR OBSQ 1B - $44.99 (this one hurt)

AAA 10yo - $16.99 (don't see this around much)

None of this stuff is going anywhere anytime soon, nor is any of it new to me (other than the newest CEHT). The Tornado is most out of my way, but everything else should be able to wait until I'm a bit more flush. I do intend to get on the FR1B ASAP.

Vintage 17 @ $66, whole shelf full. From what i read on here it's going away, just a large investment relative to the other choices they had on hand.

Not sure if anyone is anyone is collecting the BT Experimental Stuff, or if the Zinfandel finished stuff is that hard to find, but I noticed this pop up on KLWines.com. I'm passing, cause the "finishing" of bourbon doesn't really do it for me, and as interesting as a lot of these sound, I don't feel like experimenting with my own money. None the less, if anyone is looking for this bottle for their collection, you can check out K&L Wines.

Passed on a bunch of bottles of WTR 101. Price was OK, but I've got a couple that should tide me over until it comes back to the market.

I passed on an EC 18 for $52.95. Was that a mistake?

Only if you want an EC 18 :grin: That is a fair price, and maybe even a very good price as it is disappearing off shelves with the news that it is gone (at least for a few years).

I've passed on everything this week, as we're driving through Kentucky next weekend and I intend to stock up on the stuff I never see here. Hoping to pick up some Johhny Drum Private Stock and anything else that is a good buy or hard to find in Georgia.

Hey fellas, summer is here! Next person to pass on a bottle starts a new thread.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!