What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter/Spring 2012

CaptainQ
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in my local store today buying a bottle of Weller 12 before "Snowmegeddon 2012" hit.:rolleyes: As I made my way to the register I spotted a small special order area. On the shelf was a bottle of High West Rocky Mountain 21 year old rye for the princely sum of $146.35.:shocked: I didn't even pick it up.

This is a long list today:

Michters 10 - I have had interest but $89 scared me away when I didn't know much about it.

Col EH Taylor SB - $89

4x Handy 2011 - I might actually go back for this one. It was $75 so not crazy had a BS discussion with Store owner and distributor about Ritt so left without it.

EWSB '98 & '99

Not that this will be of much interest here but another store owner was working a Hirsch 20 Canadian Rye hard. I know nothing about Hirsch Canadian Rye but it look a little thin and light. It might be great but I couldn't justify buying and know squat about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michter's Single Barrel Bourbon 104 - $359 ?!? - I didn't even want to stare at the bottle too hard.

Passed on a 2009 Saz 18, it was at state min, but couldn't pull the trigger, kind of kicking myself for it now, I got a PVW Lot B instead....

Was in a store I have not visited before in MN, I picked up Saz 18 but passed on:

ER17

Handy ('10 and '11)

All the expensive High West stuff

Ritt 21,23,25

Pappy 20

Pappy 23

Weller 12 (never seen before in MN, but it was $34.99)

BMH 16

FR LE SB 2011

FR Mariage '10 and '11

They had a lot of good stuff, but only because it was 15% more expensive than at most stores so it probably sits on the shelf a bit longer. However, it was nice to see that some of those bottles actually do exist.

I was in my local store today buying a bottle of Weller 12 before "Snowmegeddon 2012" hit.:rolleyes: As I made my way to the register I spotted a small special order area. On the shelf was a bottle of High West Rocky Mountain 21 year old rye for the princely sum of $146.35.:shocked: I didn't even pick it up.

Stood there a long time contemplating, but ultimately passed on a Pappy 20 and a Van Winkle 12-year Lot "b"

Passed up a couple of PHC Cognac finished. Plus 10% of the Small Batch Collection-- although I would almost consider BH at under $30, if only to experiment with vatting it with OGD114.

Passed up a couple of PHC Cognac finished. Plus 10% of the Small Batch Collection-- although I would almost consider BH at under $30, if only to experiment with vatting it with OGD114.

Ran across a OGD114 but didnt get it today. Is this still distributed in MN or not? Can always go back and get it as its pretty close to me too.

Ran across a OGD114 but didnt get it today. Is this still distributed in MN or not? Can always go back and get it as its pretty close to me too.

Drive back there, put on your dust mask, open your wallet and pull $24 bucks or so out. Come home and drink.

Passed on some Pappy 20,23 and Handy. Higher than normally what I pay, and getting it home in the luggage would be tougher.

But the one I really choked on was the baby Saz at $69.99. I about flipped when I say that price. Way out of range from what I've ever paid. And it's not like other store in the store was over priced either, but this one was just wild.

B

Passed on some Pappy 20,23 and Handy. Higher than normally what I pay, and getting it home in the luggage would be tougher.

But the one I really choked on was the baby Saz at $69.99. I about flipped when I say that price. Way out of range from what I've ever paid. And it's not like other store in the store was over priced either, but this one was just wild.

B

Sounds like they looked up the wrong one and used the Saz 18 price. On the other hand, I got two bottles of Saz 18 last year for $29 each. When I asked about it they said that was the listed price. I should have bought them all because when I went back a couple of days later they were priced at $59 each.

Sounds like they looked up the wrong one and used the Saz 18 price. On the other hand, I got two bottles of Saz 18 last year for $29 each. When I asked about it they said that was the listed price. I should have bought them all because when I went back a couple of days later they were priced at $59 each.

Love to hear stories like this. Kinda reminds me of Penthouse Forum in my youth. :grin:

Yikes! That's higher than ebay!

I wanted to walk out and not give them my business, but I've been having trouble finding Weller 12 anywhere else in the area.

Passed up a bottle of I W Harper 15 yr and another bottle of I W Harper in a fancy wooden box. Uncertain of what version that it is. It was slightly shorter than the bottle of the 15year next to it. $90 for either, wasn't sure either was worth it.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

As far as I know. Not many stores carry it but the ones that do seem to have a steady supply.

As far as I know. Not many stores carry it but the ones that do seem to have a steady supply.

The first and only time I've purchased ODG 114 was in MN at a store in the Mall of America (I believe it was called Old Vine). I'm guessing locals avoid the MoA at all costs, but it might be worth dropping by on a bourbon hunt.

Gts 2011 for $11 a pour at the bar :)

I did order a VW rye for $13 though

Given the proof on GTS - that's like a two-fer!

Gts 2011 for $11 a pour at the bar :)

I did order a VW rye for $13 though

Never had or even seen a bottle of VWFR rye. I would gladly pay $13 to give it a try.

Passed up on something I have never seen before today.... Black Maple Hill 23! No idea how much it usually costs or how many bottles of this are even around but at $200 it was cool to just see in the case.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!