Is there a newbie dusty list?

vrocco
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey this is a bourbon drinking forum. At times those congeners can add up and make a man a bit cranky first thing in the morning :grin: .

Hey this is a bourbon drinking forum. At times those congeners can add up and make a man a bit cranky first thing in the morning :grin: .

After my performance last night, I'm awash with cogeners! :D

I wonder if someone can put together a dusty list, go hunt them down and then ship them to me?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jostling is normal here. I'm not complaining.

But I'm glad Aaron finally said, "sorry, there is no such list." Maybe that's why some people are so cranky. It would be nice if they were.

Lots of things about this hobby work against shortcuts. A 'what-to-collect' list is not a bad idea, and the Collectibles thread is where you will find a lot of ideas. See what people are finding. See what people are excited about finding.

The thing about photographs and labels is, most of the labels you should be looking for look exactly like the labels that aren't particularly worthy, and the only difference is those little numbers. Trust me on this, just remember DSP-KY-16 and buy anything with that on it.

I've started a thread a couple of times called "What you should be collecting now," or something like that. I can't find it just now. The idea is to identify things that are still well represented in the marketplace but that will only become more scarce. An easy example is Evan Williams Single Barrel, any vintage except the current one (2002), though some are more prized than others. I think it's cool to have The Wilderness Years on hand, including the first few years of Bernheim, which is where the line is now.

Newbie dusty hunting mistake? Buying everything that you've never heard of. 9.9 times out of 10 it will be some nothing private label that's crap.

Not sure what I'm talking about? Like I said, it's not that we're being stingy about giving up the shortcuts, there just aren't any.

I have a 2 word simple answer for the OP. "Sunny Brook". Most of the dusty threads are filled with wrong leads and misinformation designed to throw you off the real track. I'm sick and tired of being a part of the machine that hides this knowledge.

Trust me. Let the Guardian of Quality be your guide.

I have a 2 word simple answer for the OP. "Sunny Brook". Most of the dusty threads are filled with wrong leads and misinformation designed to throw you off the real track. I'm sick and tired of being a part of the machine that hides this knowledge.

Trust me. Let the Guardian of Quality be your guide.

3 months into membership on this board, I've learned more about bourbon in my time here than I have in all my life before joining. Fortunately I've drank thoughtfully for awhile, so I came in having a pretty good idea of what I liked and have used this place as a vehicle to find more things I might like. I know I don't much care for Beam products, so dusty or not, I'm unlikely to buy it. I like wheaters and love ryes -- through this board I've found & tried a bunch of things I never looked for nor thought to try before.

Fortunately, mistakes can often become cocktails and lessons learned. I think there are gentlemen and true enthiusiasts all over this place and I am thankful to have found it.

My 3 years of sniffing around the net has led me to one truth behind what "dusties" to look for:

1 Anything and everything that was made by Stitzel Weller.

2. Product from almost any discontinued label (not 100% accurate on that)

3 Product from the late 70's early.80's when bourbon wasnt as popular the age of the whiskey was many times older than was stated.

that's my two cents on it. It gets more detailed and confusing the more you get into it.

:shocked:

Seriously Eric???

I highly doubt that anyone posts bogus information just to throw people off the real track. I've never hidden any knowledge on what bourbons I hunt or what I leave behind because I don’t like them. I certainly haven't told people to buy anything that I haven't or wouldn't buy if I saw it. I'm not going to share with people exactly where I find stuff as I've been burned many times in the past buy the hundreds of lurkers on this site...if someone wants it, go look for it! I'm not looking to spoon feed someone where to go for hard to find bottles.

Show me a thread where someone has given misinformation designed to throw someone off the real track...that statement is borderline ridiculous...well actually it probably is. :skep:

I don't think anyone here is deliberately posting bogus information to throw people off.

But there are some people here who are genuinely very stupid.

I don't think anyone here is deliberately posting bogus information to throw people off.

I don't know if I should laugh or be offended. I guess that means I should probably be offended, "because if you can't spot the sucker at the table...."

I'm no doctor, but I would say Chuck's wrist is perfectly healed! :D

Duck!!!!

I was thinking another thing to consider; there is a lot of great whiskey being released at this time, and there are plenty of full rickhouses south of the Ohio. :grin: Probably my easiest advice to someone wanting to drink better bourbons is; look for labels that are 86+ proof, and have an age statement.

:slappin: - now that is FUNNY.

Rain Man tried to make a joke. :grin:

But seriously, the answer is Sunny Brook.

i got your joke eric. and yeah, dusty sunny brook is a good deal.

You should definitely look for Beam 8 Star dusties.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.