Is there a newbie dusty list?

vrocco
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Seriously Eric???

I highly doubt that anyone posts bogus information just to throw people off the real track. I've never hidden any knowledge on what bourbons I hunt or what I leave behind because I don’t like them. I certainly haven't told people to buy anything that I haven't or wouldn't buy if I saw it. I'm not going to share with people exactly where I find stuff as I've been burned many times in the past buy the hundreds of lurkers on this site...if someone wants it, go look for it! I'm not looking to spoon feed someone where to go for hard to find bottles.

Show me a thread where someone has given misinformation designed to throw someone off the real track...that statement is borderline ridiculous...well actually it probably is. :skep:

Look at any of smokinjoe's posts. His "desert island bourbon" is Bourbon Supreme, but you won't see him admitting it! He'll talk about enjoying things like Pappy, Stagg, Weller, etc....talk about misinformation!

He doesn't want people out looking for his good stuff!

Look at any of smokinjoe's posts. His "desert island bourbon" is Bourbon Supreme, but you won't see him admitting it! He'll talk about enjoying things like Pappy, Stagg, Weller, etc....talk about misinformation!

He doesn't want people out looking for his good stuff!

Dangit, Jack! Do you know how dangerous this is to me, that Bob has this information?!?!? He'll have 7 guys yankin' BS off the shelves in 19 states before midnight!! My only recourse will be E-Bay, now....I'm dooooomed!!!! :D

Wait, when did we ban sarcasm?:rolleyes:

Since I'm a relative Newby I'll offer the same advice that I've offered in other threads. Buy new products and hunt "dusties" when you can. You most likely won't find stores that hold dusty inventory on the internet, but you can find some deals on real quality products (BTAC, PHC, etc) that eventually will become bourbon lore. After doing this for a few years, you can build up quite a bunker. Otherwise, you'll have to spend a fortune.

I guess I'm saying, take it where you can get it. Enjoy the hunt, but don't expect the locals to point out their best fishing hole.:slappin:

Wait, when did we ban sarcasm?:rolleyes:

Since I'm a relative Newby I'll offer the same advice that I've offered in other threads. Buy new products and hunt "dusties" when you can. You most likely won't find stores that hold dusty inventory on the internet, but you can find some deals on real quality products (BTAC, PHC, etc) that eventually will become bourbon lore. After doing this for a few years, you can build up quite a bunker. Otherwise, you'll have to spend a fortune.

I guess I'm saying, take it where you can get it. Enjoy the hunt, but don't expect the locals to point out their best fishing hole.:slappin:

Good advice. Dusty hunting is a lifestyle. For one thing, you have to go into stores where you might not normally shop. There are no good dusties in the big party stores, they're in the small, old, neighborhood places. You go in, you look, you consider, you haggle. You walk out empty-handed more often than not.

It's a sickness, really.

As for fishing holes, they don't get re-stocked, so once they've been discovered, if they're not picked clean immediately, it doesn't take long. A true dusty hunter can't bear knowing that sweet dusties are just sitting there and somebody else might get them.

Good advice. Dusty hunting is a lifestyle. For one thing, you have to go into stores where you might not normally shop. There are no good dusties in the big party stores, they're in the small, old, neighborhood places. You go in, you look, you consider, you haggle. You walk out empty-handed more often than not.

It's a sickness, really.

As for fishing holes, they don't get re-stocked, so once they've been discovered, if they're not picked clean immediately, it doesn't take long. A true dusty hunter can't bear knowing that sweet dusties are just sitting there and somebody else might get them.

300 bottles at one time? Damn. I've bought up to 18 at one time and thought that was a lot. WOW!

My wife loves me but if I drop 10 grand at the liquor store in one sitting, I'd be moving in with one of you fine folks:grin:

300 Dusties for a sewing machine = one hell of trade. I want you negotiating my next car purchase. Must be some kind if Jedi mind trick. <wave of hand> "this is a great deal. Have a new sewing machine. Pour me a drink please!".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually it was closer to 3 grand. Some of the stuff still had the price stickers that were put on the bottles when they originally came into the store ($10 liters). I got panicked after receiving numerous PMs about how I had given out too much info and it wouldn't be long before someone found it and that they were probably already looking. I kept thinking that I would be sick if I went back and the store had been cleaned out. I convinced my wife that a $10 liter of ND OGD and a mighty fine drink and would eventually be consumed and much better than anything I could get today for $10, so it was a good investment. She finally agreed (I already had bought the stuff but she didn't know it) and gave me a closet to store it in. I had to throw in a new sewing machine for her quilting....

And to answer the very first post kn this thread, here is the list. Just look at the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Love the shoe holder with party supplies. Way to use your noodle

I saw it on one of my wife's Home/Garden shows and now we have them on every door in the house.

Exactly, I discovered a place loaded with dusties about a year ago. I had planned on just buying what I needed at the moment and go back as I needed something. But then I couldn't sleep at night worrying that someone else might discover it and clean it out, so I went back and bought about 300 bottles (to my wife's displeasure). There is still some stuff left and I worry about that also, so I keep going back. It sounds greedy but then there have been many stores that I have visited and was told about someone who bought thousands of dollars worth earlier.

Actually it was closer to 3 grand. Some of the stuff still had the price stickers that were put on the bottles when they originally came into the store ($10 liters). I got panicked after receiving numerous PMs about how I had given out too much info and it wouldn't be long before someone found it and that they were probably already looking. I kept thinking that I would be sick if I went back and the store had been cleaned out. I convinced my wife that a $10 liter of ND OGD and a mighty fine drink and would eventually be consumed and much better than anything I could get today for $10, so it was a good investment. She finally agreed (I already had bought the stuff but she didn't know it) and gave me a closet to store it in. I had to throw in a new sewing machine for her quilting....

Love the red solo cups!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.