Potato Whiskey

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

and it's from a company with "Clear Spirits" in the name. Maybe "Aged Vodka" didn't market test well.

That said, it's clear enough what they are doing that the TTB couldn't say there was an intent to decieve.

That said, it's clear enough what they are doing that the TTB couldn't say there was an intent to decieve.

Yes, they're clear about it being made from potato, but it clearly doesn't meet the definition of whiskey, which requires the distillate to be from grain. If you're going to have potato whiskey, why not grape whiskey, sugar whiskey, apple whiskey...or for that matter potato rum? It's very weird.

and it's from a company with "Clear Spirits" in the name. Maybe "Aged Vodka" didn't market test well.

Deception isn't the issue. Does whiskey need not be distilled from grain?? I thought it had.

(Wow, SKU. You beat me by a second!)

(Wow, SKU. You beat me by a second!)

That's why they call me the fastest whiskey geek this side of the Pecos.

Here's the text defining the whisky class:

"

Spirits distilled from a fermented

mash of grain at less than 95%

alcohol by volume (190 proof) having

the taste, aroma and characteristics

generally attributed to whisky and

bottled at not less than 40% alcohol

by volume (80 proof)"

Why are you so sure it did get by TTB? Yes, I can see the COLA, but has anyone seen this product in the marketplace? I would object to TTB, but not before I know this product is actually on sale somewhere.

Don't you think it's weird that the Boulder Distillery's web site has nothing on it about its products?

I have queried TTB, with a copy to Boulder Distillery. I'll let you know what happens.

Don't you think it's weird that the Boulder Distillery's web site has nothing on it about its products?

Eddu claims to be whisky made from buckwheat, which is not really a grain (it's not a grass) either despite having "wheat" in the name.

http://www.distillerie.fr/en/eddu_silver.html

Surprised no American micro has tried that yet.

Ah, but they have. Heston Farms in West Virginia makes Buckwheat Moon, a buckwheat whiskey. http://hestonfarm.com/distillery

While the EU rules specify cereal grain, the U.S. rules just use the word 'grain.' An argument can be made, therefore, that while not a cereal, the buckwheat seed is a grain under the meaning of the law. Problem is, that opens the door to lentil whiskey, and no one wants that.

I have received acknowledgment from TTB. They're looking into it.

While the EU rules specify cereal grain, the U.S. rules just use the word 'grain.' An argument can be made, therefore, that while not a cereal, the buckwheat seed is a grain under the meaning of the law. Problem is, that opens the door to lentil whiskey, and no one wants that.

I have received acknowledgment from TTB. They're looking into it.

You involved the feds? Have you no respect for the livelyhood of the poor artisan who is simply trying to carve out a meager existence?

You involved the feds? Have you no respect for the livelyhood of the poor artisan who is simply trying to carve out a meager existence?

It's the worst kind of elitism.

There is an awful lot of people who believe Irish whiskey is made from potatoes...

(when I first keyed that in I used the word "astonishing" rather than "awful" but then considered the long list of other silly things people believe...and went back and changed it...)

I sampled it last year and did not much care for it, didn't even taste like a whiskey to me. The tell was that when I asked the rep what they would compare it to, they had no answer. Maybe I got stuck with a dimwit rep because they didn't seem too knowledgeable on the whiskey side of things, but I really didn't care for their attempt at whiskey at all. Their vodka is fair, but I haven't had anything spectacular from them, their Gin made me cringe too.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/distillers/boulder-distillery-303-vodka/

Seems to me that if you created a spirit from a potato...it's vodka (which just means alcohol.) If you age it, then it's aged vodka.

They can call it whiskey...don't mean it is whiskey (said in my thickest Texan accent.)

However, on second thought, what if they just added potato to a grain mix?

Seems to me that if you created a spirit from a potato...it's vodka (which just means alcohol.) If you age it, then it's aged vodka.

Vodka must be distilled at a minimum 95% ABV (190 proof).

So what would you call a vodka distillate that was produced at a lower proof?

It might be they queried the TTB on this point, who came back with, "Oh, hell, call it whiskey if you want."

It might be they queried the TTB on this point, who came back with, "Oh, hell, call it whiskey if you want."

Yeah, I've heard that the TTB process can be, how should we say, less than rigorous. Apparently the industry practice if you have a label rejected is to send the exact label back again and hope it lands on someone else's desk.

Vodka must be distilled at a minimum 95% ABV (190 proof).

So what would you call a vodka distillate that was produced at a lower proof?

Potcheen, maybe?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.