Tequila Forum

Max Power

22 hours ago, Max Power said:

It's been forever since I've been around...considering I started this topic in 2012.  It's good to see that people are still enjoying the agave distillates.

I will echo that while I enjoy all Fortaleza, the blanco is where the value is at.  Don Pilar anejo is my go to for $40.  Terralta is great across the whole line.  Salud amigos!

Max, your return is positively Snake Plisskenesque!!  😄. Good to see you stop in. 👍🏻

• I like it 2

On 1/14/2021 at 10:35 PM, Max Power said:

It's been forever since I've been around...considering I started this topic in 2012.  It's good to see that people are still enjoying the agave distillates.

I will echo that while I enjoy all Fortaleza, the blanco is where the value is at.  Don Pilar anejo is my go to for $40.  Terralta is great across the whole line.  Salud amigos!

I am a recent convert to [good] tequila.  This thread was a good resource—thanks.  Crazy what I’ve been missing, now that I am into the good stuff.  Fortaleza, G4, Ocho, Pasote, Tapatio, amongst others.  Have you been able to pick up the limited edition Lot 100 Fortaleza Blanco?  That is phenomenal stuff. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just cracked the G4 Anejo. It's very easy sipping but I've had some smoked beers from Scherlenker already so my taste buds aren't quite up to scratch tonight. 

20210204_212444.jpg

*Schlenkerla, pardon my spelling. 

36 minutes ago, beasled said:

Just cracked the G4 Anejo. It's very easy sipping but I've had some smoked beers from Scherlenker already so my taste buds aren't quite up to scratch tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 4:11 PM, beasled said:

A little Felipe Camarena sbs tonight. 

image.thumb.png.8c120fad8c3b67beaaa404bc4f28b70b.png

So, which do you like better?

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

So, which do you like better?

It was an interesting sbs actually because before I'd thought  they were quite similar, but having them sbs I found that the Pasote was lighter and more mellow than the G4, which had heavier agave and more peppery notes going on. 

They're both excellent but if I could only have one I'd spring for the G4 before the Pasote (though the latter wins on the bottle design). 

• I like it 1

On 2/22/2021 at 9:00 AM, beasled said:

It was an interesting sbs actually because before I'd thought  they were quite similar, but having them sbs I found that the Pasote was lighter and more mellow than the G4, which had heavier agave and more peppery notes going on. 

They're both excellent but if I could only have one I'd spring for the G4 before the Pasote (though the latter wins on the bottle design). 

So, if G4 is about 25% more expensive than Pasote, would you still choose G4?

15 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

So, if G4 is about 25% more expensive than Pasote, would you still choose G4?

Hmmm my decision was based on them being priced similar over here. If you're unsure on which to buy, get the Pasote if it's 25% cheaper than G4. In fact this week I had 4 bottles of Pasote blanco delivered, so you know it ain't no slouch. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up several reposados recently: Cimarron, Arenita, and Rancho Alegre.  These all say 100% agave.

• I like it 1

After some online review searching, I decided to start by opening the Rancho Alegre.  The package appears to have changed recently.  I say this because most photos online are different from what I have.  This was a relatively inexpensive liter bottle.  I don't know if the product itself has changed.  I will say, I don't agree with some older reviews that panned this.  I find it quite good, but not spectacular.  It's pretty much exactly what I'd expect for a 100% agave reposado, no real surprises except value price.

• 2 weeks later...

Now on to La Arenita.  The first surprise, I unscrew the cap, and underneath is a second smaller cap.  I guess it must be a tamper proof feature, never saw this before.  The nose is like a freshly squeezed lime, very bright.  On the tongue it's very mild.  The flavor is simple pleasant citrus - an easy drinker.

• I like it 1

On 3/17/2021 at 2:23 AM, PaulO said:

I picked up several reposados recently: Cimarron, Arenita, and Rancho Alegre.  These all say 100% agave.

Well, I've tried them all, and each on more than one occasion.

The last to get tasted was Cimarron.  It's fairly typical except it has this strange earthy sweetness on the back of the palate.  It took me a while to come up with words to describe.  I'll try.  Have you ever opened a really old book, or smelled freshly cut hay.

Of the above three, I'd call Rancho Alegre the winner, ironic it's the cheapest.  Its' main characteristic is cooked agave, rather like a slightly more robust Cuervo Tradicional.

Arenita is like drinking a Vodka Gimlet cocktail, but not in a bad way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m finding this bottle less and less likable. It was interesting at first, but the combination of medicinal with tequila-like notes doesn’t work for me in the long run. Is all sotol like this? The glass is empty because I dumped it. 

1CA8E87A-22BE-4138-91B2-99B842DF7739.jpeg

8 hours ago, Kane said:

I’m finding this bottle less and less likable. It was interesting at first, but the combination of medicinal with tequila-like notes doesn’t work for me in the long run. Is all sotol like this? The glass is empty because I dumped it. 

1CA8E87A-22BE-4138-91B2-99B842DF7739.jpeg

My experience of Sotol so far is with Clande and Flor Del Desierto, haven't had Hacienda, but they have been closer to mezcal than tequila (I am aware that tequila is a type of mezcal!), so I would say that if you're more a fan of tequila than mezcal then it's likely that sotol will be less your thing. 

32 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Happy Cinco De Mayo 🎆✨🎇  🇲🇽

Salud a mis amigos Poblanos.

It's my wedding anniversary too.  I'm not much of a tequila drinker but we have a tradition for our anniversary.  Our kids are still too young to be left home alone so I make steak fajitas, a tres leches cake for dessert, and we crush our first bag of limes for the years.  Those limes then go in our first pitcher of margaritas for the year.  I may be a little slow into work tomorrow morning.  😁

• I like it 4

Happy anniversary too,

pastel de tres leches is soo good, one of my favorite desserts.

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

It's my wedding anniversary too.  I'm not much of a tequila drinker but we have a tradition for our anniversary.  Our kids are still too young to be left home alone so I make steak fajitas, a tres leches cake for dessert, and we crush our first bag of limes for the years.  Those limes then go in our first pitcher of margaritas for the year.  I may be a little slow into work tomorrow morning.  😁

Happy Anniversary big guy!

• I like it 1

It’s Cinco de Mayo with a Fortaleza Reposado.  

9A660481-7FBE-4456-9465-F661DF5C4184.jpeg

• I like it 3