Tequila Forum

Max Power

Yes and no. My wife is from Mexico and when I visit we go shopping for Tequila. They would rather buy El Señor or JCE because it's cheap; not because it's good. These same folks swear by Buchanan's and Chivas Regal blended Scotch. ;)

I have several Mexican friends who shop the same way--they only go for what's cheap. But these two fellows I was referring to aren't that way at all. They have money to burn and routinely buy expensive bottles of bourbon and ridiculously pricey cigars. When it comes to tequila, they believe there is a definite point of diminishing returns and routinely tell me not to go crazy spending money on "the exotic stuff" when high quality tequila can be had for $40-$50 buying Herradura Reposado, Don Julio Reposado, Siete Leguas Reposado and El Tesoro (a favorite, in part because it is produced very near where they grew up). I should add that these brothers are purists about many things in life and often look down upon food and drink that aren't "traditional." Their elderly grandfather, on the other hand, is a dyed-in-the-wool Sauza lover and rarely strays from their product line. He once told me (through an interpreter) that "everything else is for women.":lol:

No one has mentioned El Jimador, which is 100% Agave and priced about the same as Jose Cuervo (in fact here in Oregon it's a buck cheaper).

I haven't had it myself but a friend in Eugene has and says it's way better than Cuervo. I plan to try a bottle when we finish our open bottle of Milagro.

According to the Jimador website it's the #1 selling tequila in Mexico. If true, I'm surprised that your "Mexican friends who buy the cheap stuff" don't seem to know about it.

Inspired by this thread, I am drinking some Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia, bottled in 2010. This was a gift from a friend who works a lot in the country. It is heavy-bodied, sweetish, a little bourbon-like (caramel and some tannins) but the tequila stamp is huge, it is a very big drink in every way. I can't say it stands out greatly as compared to others I've tried, i.e. the odd blanco, the regular Cuervo Gold (still my favourite), Herradura and Olmecca, because the tequila taste is similar.

It does clearly have a richer body than those but there is something about the Cuervo Gold I like more, its "proprietary" taste is very good, at least for my untutored tequila palate.

But I'm willing to learn more, including about mescal, which I've never had and know nothing about.

Gary

According to the Jimador website it's the #1 selling tequila in Mexico. If true, I'm surprised that your "Mexican friends who buy the cheap stuff" don't seem to know about it.

Actually, El Jimador and Hornitos are the two brands my budget-minded friends drink the most. They are both very serviceable tequilas for the price and, while inexpensive, are very popular in many Mexican households around here. If someone hands me a glass of either one, I'm happy to drink it.

No one has mentioned El Jimador, which is 100% Agave and priced about the same as Jose Cuervo (in fact here in Oregon it's a buck cheaper).

I haven't had it myself but a friend in Eugene has and says it's way better than Cuervo. I plan to try a bottle when we finish our open bottle of Milagro.

It's very inexpensive here in Texas. I can get a handle for under $30, usually - and that's the Repasado.

I really, really like El Jimador - and I also like the Milagro you mention.

I've done some interesting home-aging with El Jimador that has turned out very nicely... and it seasons the barrel for some nice experiments with whiskey later.

I give the entire El Jimador line thumbs-up, but the Repasodo is my favorite.

Another super cheap one is Camarena... The reposado is quite nice. I actually sip it (not just for mixing). It's... different. Many folks frown on it because it's fairly inexpensive (under $20 for a 750), but I really enjoy it (not so much the Silver, however).

It's very inexpensive here in Texas. I can get a handle for under $30, usually - and that's the Repasado.

I really, really like El Jimador - and I also like the Milagro you mention.

I've done some interesting home-aging with El Jimador that has turned out very nicely... and it seasons the barrel for some nice experiments with whiskey later.

I give the entire El Jimador line thumbs-up, but the Repasodo is my favorite.

Another super cheap one is Camarena... The reposado is quite nice. I actually sip it (not just for mixing). It's... different. Many folks frown on it because it's fairly inexpensive (under $20 for a 750), but I really enjoy it (not so much the Silver, however).

Tequila is such a tough product to buy because the distribution for the smaller brands is so varied. Here's what I would say about the major brands.

Cuervo - JCE = Garbage, JC Tradicional = Decent value for the money, JC RdF PLatino = Good, but many better values can be had for the $50-60 price rance, JC RdF Extra Anejo = Great Drink all around, but at $100-125, there's better in the price range as well. Cuervo makes some decent things, but it's rarely the best in the price range.

Sauza - Everything from the Sauza like is either a mediciney tasting mixto or a 100% agave spirit that has distinct burn when consumed straight, but makes a decent mixer. It's one of my least favorite brands. The high alcohol burn is why the guy says everything else is "for women."

Patron - The entire line is very clean and smooth, but it lacks any real depth or character. It's a great introduction for people who are used to drinking swill tequila, but for those who regularly drink tequila, it just lacks flavor when compared to other lines. With that said, it's very good quality stuff.

Brown-Forman (Herradura & El Jimador) - I've never loved to flavor profile of Herradura. The anejo is BY FAR the best of the bunch. El Jimador is aged in bourbon barrels and the anejo takes on quite a bit of the flavor. The blanco is a mixer and the reposado is a nice balanced all around juice.

With the pleasure of having sampled all sorts of tequilas, I can tell you that there's plenty of great ones to be had under $40 and for some, even under $25.

One of the best and most easily found ones out there is Muchote. Don Julio is what Mexicans consider to be the go to premium tequila and is usually in the $35-50 range. Corrido is my current favorite overall line, but is really only seen in California (but you can always buy online).

If you like tequila and know the tastes you like, I'd be happy to recommend a few and help find a place where you can get them. For Bourbon drinkers, Don Pilar Anejo and Don Abraham Anejo have similar properties and are extremely smooth.

Here are some other great bottles that I've purchased for under $25 - Viva Mexico Reposado, El Charro Anejo or Reposado, Dos Lunas, Tres Agaves, El Ultimo.

Here are my favorites right now: Azunia Anejo, Fina Estampa Blanco, Clase Azul, Corrido (all ages), Fortaleza, Muchote, Marquez de Valencia, Riazul Anejo, Penca Azul Anejo, Don Julio 1942 (or really any age), Tonala.

I could go on forever and I'm always glad to help any tequila lovers or those looking to get into drinking the agave juice.

Tequila is such a tough product to buy because the distribution for the smaller brands is so varied. Here's what I would say about the major brands.

Cuervo - JCE = Garbage, JC Tradicional = Decent value for the money, JC RdF PLatino = Good, but many better values can be had for the $50-60 price rance, JC RdF Extra Anejo = Great Drink all around, but at $100-125, there's better in the price range as well. Cuervo makes some decent things, but it's rarely the best in the price range.

Sauza - Everything from the Sauza like is either a mediciney tasting mixto or a 100% agave spirit that has distinct burn when consumed straight, but makes a decent mixer. It's one of my least favorite brands. The high alcohol burn is why the guy says everything else is "for women."

Patron - The entire line is very clean and smooth, but it lacks any real depth or character. It's a great introduction for people who are used to drinking swill tequila, but for those who regularly drink tequila, it just lacks flavor when compared to other lines. With that said, it's very good quality stuff.

Brown-Forman (Herradura & El Jimador) - I've never loved to flavor profile of Herradura. The anejo is BY FAR the best of the bunch. El Jimador is aged in bourbon barrels and the anejo takes on quite a bit of the flavor. The blanco is a mixer and the reposado is a nice balanced all around juice.

With the pleasure of having sampled all sorts of tequilas, I can tell you that there's plenty of great ones to be had under $40 and for some, even under $25.

One of the best and most easily found ones out there is Muchote. Don Julio is what Mexicans consider to be the go to premium tequila and is usually in the $35-50 range. Corrido is my current favorite overall line, but is really only seen in California (but you can always buy online).

If you like tequila and know the tastes you like, I'd be happy to recommend a few and help find a place where you can get them. For Bourbon drinkers, Don Pilar Anejo and Don Abraham Anejo have similar properties and are extremely smooth.

Here are some other great bottles that I've purchased for under $25 - Viva Mexico Reposado, El Charro Anejo or Reposado, Dos Lunas, Tres Agaves, El Ultimo.

Here are my favorites right now: Azunia Anejo, Fina Estampa Blanco, Clase Azul, Corrido (all ages), Fortaleza, Muchote, Marquez de Valencia, Riazul Anejo, Penca Azul Anejo, Don Julio 1942 (or really any age), Tonala.

I could go on forever and I'm always glad to help any tequila lovers or those looking to get into drinking the agave juice.

Indeed Max, nice list. Thanks. I'll be searching as well. We have a Cinco de Mayo party every year, and am always looking for new sipping tequilas for our late in the evening toast.

I've heard that Cazadores is a favorite among our sizable local Latino population here Down South. What are your thoughts on that one?

Also Hank, Two Fingers was my own inglorious introduction to slamming tequila in College. Slid down the stairs at a party on my ass. Turned a 1/4 mi walk home, into a 2 hour meandering trek through campus, while at the same time trying to hide from my girlfriend (now wife) behind 2" maple saplings. Got stuck on my belt as I attempted to climb over the 4' chain link fence trying to get into the yard of the house. The whole time she is trying to push me over. And, after hitting the sack, basically throwing up for the next 4 hours. Ah....youth. I can't believe the girl still married me. I think I'll go remind her of the fun we had... :D

This is great information, thanks Max. On my honeymoon in Cabo last year, I really came to appreciate good tequila, but I haven't pursued it much since I got home. I also love the Clase Azul, which became my favorite drink by the pool. The pool bar would serve it ice cold (out of the frezer). I now do the same.

What do you think about Esperanto?

I've heard that Cazadores is a favorite among our sizable local Latino population here Down South. What are your thoughts on that one?

Thanks for all those tips. This is the current mezcal range available in Ontario in Canada:

http://lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?ITEM_NAME=mezcal&ITEM_NUMBER=&language=EN

Any particular favorites amongst these?

Gary

The only one I've had was Jaral de Berrio. It was good, but not in the same category as the Del Maguey brand.

Okay thx, will look for Del Maguey in KY when there soon.

Gary

Wow. Thanks for all the information and sharing your thoughts on the various brands. Like many here in the US, my first experience with tequila occurred back in college, slamming down shots of Jose Cuervo Gold with the little salt/lime routine and chasing it with cheap beer. Is it any wonder that many people my age still cringe at the mere mention of tequila? Its reputation as "firewater" that'll make you do crazy things, and the not uncommon two day hangovers that accompanied the binges, gave the stuff a bad name with lots of folks I know. It wasn't until many years later, when in the company of Mexican families at social functions, that I learned that tequila could (and should) be consumed in much the same manner as other fine spirits. Now I'm eager to learn more about the regional variations in products and to see if I can find a few favorites. I'll be printing off your list today and heading out to see what I can find. First up will be Muchote and then whatever else I can find in the budget range, as I'm interested in sampling as many different products as I can afford, rather than blowing loads on just a few bottles. Thanks again!

If you're interested in trying a bunch and willing to buy 5+ bottles at a time, buying online is the way to go.

www.hitimewine.net is the best for buying spirits online...period. <Muchote is $24.99, Dos Lunas is a steal there (Blanco for $16.99 - seen as high as $40 elsewhere. The reposado is $21.99 and might be the best of the bunch).

www.zeetequila.com has some great selection, but the shipping is a bit higher. They have the best prices on Tres Agaves and some other high end ones.

www.missionliquor.com has great pricing and a good selection. If you like an earthy/lowland tequila, all lines of Toro de Lidia are under $20 and it's very high quality for a lowland. I prefer highlands, but I like lowlands as well. I just wanted to preface because it's a different flavor profile.

www.morewines.com has a spotty selection, but if you can find what you want, they have the best shipping rates. Pura Vida is an awesome line there that is the cheapest I've ever seen. Also, they have Gentleman Jack for $19.99, which is dirt cheap as well.

www.wineandliquordepot.com is a very primitive website and you have to order over the phone, but they have some very hard to find tequila. Viva Mexico is there and is a steal.

I still have a bunch of bottles that I bought fairly cheap that I haven't yet sampled. I'll keep updating as I get through them. I'm more on the prowl for cheap gems now more than anything.

There's so many tequilas out there and the prices vary a TON because of the distribution differences. The key is doing the research to get the best deals. Combine with buying your favorite bourbons and it saves you the trip and the sales tax (in MN it's 10% for sales & liquor tax).

Keep asking questions...I'll keep answering.

Indeed Max, nice list. Thanks. I'll be searching as well. We have a Cinco de Mayo party every year, and am always looking for new sipping tequilas for our late in the evening toast.

Also Hank, Two Fingers was my own inglorious introduction to slamming tequila in College. Slid down the stairs at a party on my ass. Turned a 1/4 mi walk home, into a 2 hour meandering trek through campus, while at the same time trying to hide from my girlfriend (now wife) behind 2" maple saplings. Got stuck on my belt as I attempted to climb over the 4' chain link fence trying to get into the yard of the house. The whole time she is trying to push me over. And, after hitting the sack, basically throwing up for the next 4 hours. Ah....youth. I can't believe the girl still married me. I think I'll go remind her of the fun we had... :D

Cazadores Reposado is the most commonly found and I'd put it in the Patron category with a little more earth on the palate. Very smooth, very clean, but it doesn't have a ton of character. It is, however, very easy to drink. I'd recommend Milagro reposado or anejo for just as easily found tequila with a bit more flavor and equally smooth around the same price.

The best reason Cazadores is probably so popular is because of availability and price. Just like the person with experience with locals in Mexico, cost is a huge factor. For the money, it's a decent buy.

This is great information, thanks Max. On my honeymoon in Cabo last year, I really came to appreciate good tequila, but I haven't pursued it much since I got home. I also love the Clase Azul, which became my favorite drink by the pool. The pool bar would serve it ice cold (out of the frezer). I now do the same.

What do you think about Esperanto?

Clase Azul is dangerously sweet and smooth. The blanco is like candy. The reposado is like a werther's. Both are just wonderful.

Esperanto is a very good tequila, but maybe a bit expensive. If you can accept that you're paying $10 extra because the bottle is awesome, then it's a very good tequila and a good price for the quality. The bottle is probably one of my 3 favorites.

Okay thx, will look for Del Maguey in KY when there soon.

Gary

Ilegal and Scorpion are very good brands too.

Well, it appears we have our resident Tequila expert. Great stuff, man. Thnaks.

Ilegal and Scorpion are very good brands too.

I just bought a Scorpion blanco but I haven't opened it yet. It's pretty gimmicky but I've heard good things about it.

Well, it appears we have our resident Tequila expert. Great stuff, man. Thnaks.

I'm here to learn more about bourbon and such. Tequila will always be my #1 love. The treasure hunts for both is really part of the fun.

Hey, Max. I'm going to hunt down that Clase Azul Reposado. What would be a decent price for it?

Hey, Max. I'm going to hunt down that Clase Azul Reposado. What would be a decent price for it?

You can find it for $75 many places and that's the best I've seen (I think $72.99 is the lowest I've ever seen). As a last resort, you can buy from this place for $79.99 and if you see something else you like they ship for free at $100. I just bought 4R Small Batch from this place for $18.99 in addition to some tequilas.

http://pacificonlinespirits.com/search.aspx?find=clase

About half the online places won't ship it either because of size and it's ceramic. Another awesome bottle.

50_clase_azul_reposado_tequila_family_1176230979.jpg

I found this on the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearm page.

(g) Class 7; Tequila. “Tequila†is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash derived principally from the Agave Tequilana Weber (“blue†variety), with or without additional fermentable substances, distilled in such a manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to Tequila and bottled at not less than 80° proof, and also includes mixtures solely of such distillates. Tequila is a distinctive product of Mexico, manufactured in Mexico in compliance with the laws of Mexico regulating the manufacture of Tequila for consumption in that country.

This is odd because this means that Tequila shipped to the US have to be altered. The Don Julio tequila I brought from Mexico (both the Reposado and Añejo) are 38% 76 proof. o__o. Is this the way it was intended, or are they just being cheap in Mexico?

Passed by an LCBO outlet after lunch and picked up Tlacuache Silver Mezcal, it's 42% ABV. It also says, 100% Agave Angustifolia. A website mentioned is www.mezcalesdeleyenda.com

I poured a dram having just gotten home - my first mescal - and find it outstanding. It has a pronounced smoky taste with hints of grappa-like tastes. The texture is soft and rounded. It's completely different than any tequila I ever had.

This is clearly a major world spirit and I'm glad to have discovered it.

Gary