Tequila Forum

Max Power

I found this on the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearm page.

(g) Class 7; Tequila. “Tequila†is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash derived principally from the Agave Tequilana Weber (“blue†variety), with or without additional fermentable substances, distilled in such a manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to Tequila and bottled at not less than 80° proof, and also includes mixtures solely of such distillates. Tequila is a distinctive product of Mexico, manufactured in Mexico in compliance with the laws of Mexico regulating the manufacture of Tequila for consumption in that country.

This is odd because this means that Tequila shipped to the US have to be altered. The Don Julio tequila I brought from Mexico (both the Reposado and Añejo) are 38% 76 proof. o__o. Is this the way it was intended, or are they just being cheap in Mexico?

It's a US regulation that the tequilas have to be 80 proof. I have no idea why. I don't find the 2% difference to make a difference in taste.

Much like the 80 proof bourbons diluted with distilled water, they do the same with tequila. I can't think of any tequilas that I've seen at "cask strength."

I wish that I had a good answer as to "why" they are different proofs, but I don't. :smiley_acbt:

Passed by an LCBO outlet after lunch and picked up Tlacuache Silver Mezcal, it's 42% ABV. It also says, 100% Agave Angustifolia. A website mentioned is www.mezcalesdeleyenda.com

I poured a dram having just gotten home - my first mescal - and find it outstanding. It has a pronounced smoky taste with hints of grappa-like tastes. The texture is soft and rounded. It's completely different than any tequila I ever had.

This is clearly a major world spirit and I'm glad to have discovered it.

Gary

That's about right. Mezcals are more smokey. Sotols are more grassy and light. Tequilas are somewhere in between. The highland ones are generally sweeter and lowland ones are a bit earthier. Both are sweeter than Mezcals or Sotols. All of them are good. I think that tequila is probably most popular because it is probably the most versatile and has properties that please the masses more.

You can find it for $75 many places and that's the best I've seen (I think $72.99 is the lowest I've ever seen). As a last resort, you can buy from this place for $79.99 and if you see something else you like they ship for free at $100. I just bought 4R Small Batch from this place for $18.99 in addition to some tequilas.

http://pacificonlinespirits.com/search.aspx?find=clase

About half the online places won't ship it either because of size and it's ceramic. Another awesome bottle.

50_clase_azul_reposado_tequila_family_1176230979.jpg

Thanks again, Max. I'll be getting a bottle pronto.

:toast:

I'm going to be somewhat vague here and ask about tequila dusties. There are a few stores around here in Mexican neighborhoods that I've scoured for dusty bourbon and only found shelves and shelves of tequila.

I can't keep track of all the names in this thread (but I'm sure I'll find great use for it someday!). Off the top of your head, any tequila (or mezcal or sotol) dusties I should look out for?

Off the top of your head, any tequila (or mezcal or sotol) dusties I should look out for?
One of my favorite dusty tequilas is the Jose Cuervo Anejo. It's as good as the Reserva De La Familia (IMO) at less than half the cost. The early releases had the imbedded cork with the normal wood cork hanging on the neck (like the picture at the link below), but later releases just had the normal wood cork already in the bottle.

http://www.pocotequila.com/antour/josecuervoanejo.html

Other dusty favorites of mine are the old-style bottle/label of the El Tesoro brand. And of course the original Porfidios.

This may be a dumb question, as I know nothing about tequila - I've only really ever had it in a marquerita (I know ... :bigeyes: )

About 7 years ago while on business in Guadalajara, a colleague gave me a bottle of tequila, and he told me this is what he and his friends drink. It was a very kind gesture, but I had no idea what he had given me. It is still unopened. This thread made me go find it...

It is a bottle of Don Julio, and the label reads "Reserva de Don Julio, Reposado, 100% de Agave, 38% alc.vol." My question: does the "Reserva" mean anything, or is that just Don Julio's standard labeling for all of their "reposado"? As I have no palate education on tequila, should I hold onto this while I educate my palate on other tequilas?

Thanks in advance ...

This may be a dumb question, as I know nothing about tequila - I've only really ever had it in a marquerita (I know ... :bigeyes: )

About 7 years ago while on business in Guadalajara, a colleague gave me a bottle of tequila, and he told me this is what he and his friends drink. It was a very kind gesture, but I had no idea what he had given me. It is still unopened. This thread made me go find it...

It is a bottle of Don Julio, and the label reads "Reserva de Don Julio, Reposado, 100% de Agave, 38% alc.vol." My question: does the "Reserva" mean anything, or is that just Don Julio's standard labeling for all of their "reposado"? As I have no palate education on tequila, should I hold onto this while I educate my palate on other tequilas?

Thanks in advance ...

First off, Don Julio is good stuff, and second...yeah it's their standard label. Like so many liquor brands they loosely use the word "reserve." :) They gifted you well.

First off, Don Julio is good stuff, and second...yeah it's their standard label. Like so many liquor brands they loosely use the word "reserve." :) They gifted you well.

This. It's the standard bottle, but DJ is the premier high end tequila to Mexicans. And DJ reposado is very good stuff.

One of my favorite dusty tequilas is the Jose Cuervo Anejo. It's as good as the Reserva De La Familia (IMO) at less than half the cost. The early releases had the imbedded cork with the normal wood cork hanging on the neck (like the picture at the link below), but later releases just had the normal wood cork already in the bottle.

http://www.pocotequila.com/antour/josecuervoanejo.html

Other dusty favorites of mine are the old-style bottle/label of the El Tesoro brand. And of course the original Porfidios.

I have old El Tesoros and another good one is the Chinacos before German left to be master tequilero of T1. Anything bottled before 2009 is a treasure. Chinaco was the best $45 tequila around back then. It's still good, but when German was doing it, it was close to the very top.

I have old El Tesoros and another good one is the Chinacos before German left to be master tequilero of T1. Anything bottled before 2009 is a treasure. Chinaco was the best $45 tequila around back then. It's still good, but when German was doing it, it was close to the very top.

I really enjoy El Tesoro but have never seen the older bottles. Can you post a picture of one so that I know what I'm looking for? We have a huge Mexican community here in Chicago and I'm thinking I might be able to find some cool stuff in Mexican neighborhoods nearby.

This. It's the standard bottle, but DJ is the premier high end tequila to Mexicans. And DJ reposado is very good stuff.

I really enjoy El Tesoro but have never seen the older bottles. Can you post a picture of one so that I know what I'm looking for?
Here's a picture of a real old one that's called 'Muy Anejo', but they usually just said Anejo (without the 'Muy'). The label was also slightly different, but you get the idea what the older bottles looked like.

post-2419-14489817855269_thumb.jpg

On the tequila forums, they called them the ETWL (El Tesoro White Label) bottles.

Here's a picture of a real old one that's called 'Muy Anejo', but they usually just said Anejo (without the 'Muy'). The label was also slightly different, but you get the idea what the older bottles looked like.

[ATTACH]13387[/ATTACH]

On the tequila forums, they called them the ETWL (El Tesoro White Label) bottles.

Thanks so much for the picture. Very cool looking bottle!

Tried some new ones this weekend.

Ley .925 Extra Anejo - Really Good

Volcan Mi Tierra Anejo - Really Good

El Reformador Reposado - Good

El Luis Viejo Blanco - Poor...latex tasting finish. I've never tasted anything like it before.

For a blanco on the rocks with a squeeze of lime, I'm happy with Patron.

If I feel like digging in to something, the Reserva de la Familia is nice.

I also have a bottle of Tequila 1921 Anejo that I received as a gift from a traveling family member. It really needs be opened and inspected soon.

Went to a fantastic Mexican wedding on Saturday night and drank boat-loads of Del Dueno Anejo and Siete Leguas Reposado. Both were extremely enjoyable and burned clean the morning after, which is always a bonus!:grin:

Went to a fantastic Mexican wedding on Saturday night and drank boat-loads of Del Dueno Anejo and Siete Leguas Reposado. Both were extremely enjoyable and burned clean the morning after, which is always a bonus!:grin:

I've never been able to find a Del Dueno. I'd love to try it. 7 Leguas is a GREAT line of tequilas. And I've always found that good tequilas never make me feel bad the morning after. Those two brands definitely qualify.

For a blanco on the rocks with a squeeze of lime, I'm happy with Patron.

If I feel like digging in to something, the Reserva de la Familia is nice.

I also have a bottle of Tequila 1921 Anejo that I received as a gift from a traveling family member. It really needs be opened and inspected soon.

I like 1921, but it's not may favorite. The reserve reposado might be my favorite from the line.

Patron is perfectly fine as well, but I like something with a bit more agave flavor and peppery finish if it's a blanco. RdF is a great tequila. It has a bit of everything...including a hefty price tag. I only share that with people that I like...and who I know will appreciate it.:grin:

What would you guys recommend for a decent/good Anejo tequila? I've never had an Anejo and would like to try one. A store here has half-pints of Patron, all 3 flavors, for $10.99 each. Should I just get the Anejo Patron and give it a try? Another one that I noticed on sale is Tres Generaciones Anejo for like $36.99 (for a 750ml). Is it any good? Any other recommendations?

What would you guys recommend for a decent/good Anejo tequila? I've never had an Anejo and would like to try one. A store here has half-pints of Patron, all 3 flavors, for $10.99 each. Should I just get the Anejo Patron and give it a try? Another one that I noticed on sale is Tres Generaciones Anejo for like $36.99 (for a 750ml). Is it any good? Any other recommendations?

I only have had the Don Julio Anejo and I wasnt very impressed with it, so I would be curious too.

I've never been able to find a Del Dueno. I'd love to try it. 7 Leguas is a GREAT line of tequilas. And I've always found that good tequilas never make me feel bad the morning after. Those two brands definitely qualify.

The tequila consumed that night took place at a post-reception party with a number of wedding guests who were invited back to one gentleman's house. Incredibly, our host found two sealed bottles of the Del Dueno at an estate sale several years ago and paid only $5 each for them! I must say it was mighty generous of him to open one of them for us, as three or four of us left only an inch in the bottle by the time the night drew to a close. The Siete Leguas was very fine too but most of my attention was directed towards the Del Dueno. Excellent, indeed! So, is it no longer exported to the US or even being made, for that matter? I recall our host saying that he'd never seen another bottle since, so it must be rather hard to come by these days.

It all depends on what you like. Tres Gen is not very good. Patron is fine, but isn't really a good representation of quality tequila. It's very basic and kind of bland.

So much of what I'd recommend has to do with what's available and what taste profile you like. My favorite anejos include:

Don Julio

Amate

Azunia

Chinaco

Corrido (my favorite)

KAH

Penca Azul

Riazul

Tonala

Don Pilar (heavy bourbon influence)

Aha Toro

El Reformador

7 Leguas

Pura Vida

Hopefully you can find one of those.

Unforunately my store seems kind of short on Anejo tequilas. Right now the only ones that appear decent to me based on price are:

Milagro

Herradurra

Cabo Wabo

Don Julio

Dos Lunas

Cazadores

Unforunately my store seems kind of short on Anejo tequilas. Right now the only ones that appear decent to me based on price are:

Milagro

Herradurra

Cabo Wabo

Don Julio

Dos Lunas

Cazadores

I would choose Don Julio out of that lineup.