What is a typical night?

BrewerMatty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In a week

Last night, a glass of bowmore 12 at dinner and 3 glasses of vintage cutty sark and a spaten at a party.

Wednesday, a glass of WLW 2011 in the afternoon to celebrate seeing an old friend who lives in Europe, a glass of WT86 from the 80's to taste and 3 glasses of Willet rye at dinner.

Tuesday, 3 glasses of vintage black & white scotch around dinner.

Monday, 2 glasses of Willet rye during dinner.

Sunday, a glass of springbank before seeing a film.

Saturday, 2 glasses of a blend I made.

Friday, 3 glasses of macphail's hp and a glass of Jameson at a party.

It's an interesting question for sure. I consider myself lucky that I really, really don't enjoy getting drunk anymore. Really the only time I get past a mild buzz is if I'm hanging with friends and we just don't want to break up the party. But even then inebriation isn't the goal (my, how things change once you grow up).

But even with that level of self-control I try to stay vigilant about physical dependence. There was a brief period in college (when I was drinking pretty heavily) when I became somewhat physically dependent on it... it's not fun and not something I would repeat willingly. And having chewed tobacco for 10+ years and successfully quit, I would say that I know what dependence feels like. Ironically it is sometimes after the long nights of hanging with friends, and drinking steadily (but not excessively) over many hours that I feel the hints of cravings the next day. And I've always nipped that in the bud with a few days of abstinence. Put another way, if I find myself craving a beer at 10am to take the edge off, I know I better check myself immediately.

It's easy for some of us to become consumed with the things that make us feel good (booze, food, sex, whatever) but I feel like we owe it to ourselves and the people we love to be moderate. Personally, I like having something to look forward to at the end of the day-- whether whiskey, ice cream, dark chocolate (sometimes all three :bigeyes:) and especially time to unwind and talk with my wife after the kids are in bed. A drink or three can be part of that but I don't think it has to be.

Another point: for me, it's more about the whiskey than alcohol. I'd much rather drink whiskey than anything else (save the occasional beer or whatever) and if I don't have access to something that I enjoy drinking, I just don't drink.

Since this thread has turned towards alcoholism...

My name is Sky, I'm an alcoholic. I come from a long line of Professional Drunkards, and I'm just carrying on the tradition. I carry bourbon with me wherever I go, always trying to make sure that everyone around me is heading towards alcoholism as well.

I am what you call a functioning alcoholic, meaning that I can still make it to the liquor store and back without getting a DUI. Lately, the UPS guy has made my drinking life much easier.

@ BrewerMatty Well said! I've enjoyed that picture for a few years.

@ SMOWK "Hello Sky!" Is that what we say? May our livers allow that we continue to enjoy our choice libations well into old age.

Wow, guys. I was kidding about being on the road to AA, but it looks like my comment touched a nerve. It's good that everyone is conscious of their drinking, but I never doubted that. We have a good group of intelligent folks here who put a lot of thought into what they're drinking, so I think that makes the likelihood of plowing recklessly toward alcoholism pretty low.

I drink on most evenings. I never drink to get drunk or get a buzz. I drink because I enjoy whatever spirit I'm drinking. I will usually have 1-2 pours in a 2-3 hour period, sometimes more.

I come from a long line of alcoholism in my family. I suppose that my affinity for alcohol is natural. I'm not an alcoholic. I don't need to drink every evening... I choose to. I know full well the perils of alcohol.... I lived with it for the better part of my life. That is why I will NEVER become an alcoholic.

Sometimes, the blueprint for what not to do is right in front of your face.... as painful and unwelcomed as it is.

Tue story, according to my dad, and may explain why there aren't many drinkers in the family:

When my dad was about 16, mt great uncle Burl hired a genealogist to trace the family's roots. They had apparently found my great-great-something grandfather's journal, in which he mapped out a parcel of land to buy for ten dollars. On the way to the land office, he spent that ten dollars on a bottle of whiskey.

That land is now all of downtown Indianapolis.

I've seen Indianapolis. I think he made the right choice. :cool:

I've seen Indianapolis. I think he made the right choice. :cool:

:slappin: I would have to agree! :slappin:

Typical night (Fri-Sun) is 1-2 3 oz. pours, sometimes each night of those days, sometimes not. If I am grilling maybe that is 3 3oz. pours spread out over a few hours.

My issue is that my work takes me away from home 4-6 months out of the year, sometime to far-flung places. It's real easy to go over the sane limit in those cases sometimes. Something I have to be careful with.

Typical week night: none on Sunday; and maybe every other week night I'll have a 1.5 oz pour which I'll cherish for an hour or so while reading, or doing paperwork.

Thur., Fri, Sat: 2-3 pours or drinks, beers, etc. depending on circumstances.

Interesting link on positive effects of MODERATE alcohol consumption.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html

Most of these studies conclude that moderate drinkers have longer life expectancies than abstainers or heavy drinkers.

I'm thinking this is based on them being HAPPY!!!!:D

So: Cheers, and Drink on, but in moderation.

Bill.

What's a typical night? Hookers and Blow!

Ok, not really...If the mood strikes me through the week I have a pour. I never have more than two 1.5 oz pours on "school nights" and rarely do this more than 2 nights M-Th. Friday and Saturday, all bets are off :). Actually when drinking on Friday or Saturday I usually hit a warm buzz and maintain it for a couple hours. I never get to the point of where I would say I was drunk...or at least I haven't in quite a while.(came close a couple of times at the Sampler.) I usually don't drink on Sunday. Not for any specific reasons, but that's just how it works out.

I drink on most evenings. I never drink to get drunk or get a buzz. I drink because I enjoy whatever spirit I'm drinking. I will usually have 1-2 pours in a 2-3 hour period, sometimes more.

Well put! That's why we are here - we enjoy the bourbon. Thanks to all of you who have helped me find the best bourbons in the world.

What's a typical night? Hookers and Blow!...

Damn... Charlie Sheen is in the house. Winning! :lol:

Put the little one down about nine, grab a shower, and pour 1-2 fingers from 1-2 bottles 1-2 times a week.

Not to derail the thread, but this question was posed to me recently.

"If there were a bourbon that were non-alcoholic, and you couldn't tell from the taste that it actually contained no alcohol, would you drink more, less, or the same?"

I answered that I would drink a lot more of this "magic" bourbon alone, and about the same of alcoholic bourbon with friends.

Thursday, bourbon

Friday, beer and bourbon

Saturday, Wine, beer and bourbon

Sunday, beer and bourbon

Monday, AA

Tuesday, light beer :slappin:

Seriously, I have a 7mo. baby and since he was born I struggle to keep my eyes open after 1 1/2 pours. He has to learn to sleep through the night. :grin:

Thursday, bourbon

Friday, beer and bourbon

Saturday, Wine, beer and bourbon

Sunday, beer and bourbon

Monday, AA

Tuesday, light beer :slappin:

Seriously, I have a 7mo. baby and since he was born I struggle to keep my eyes open after 1 1/2 pours. He has to learn to sleep through the night. :grin:

My grandmother always said to rub some bourbon on a baby's gums when he is teething. In my experience, it never helped with the teething but it probably helped with the sleeping through the night part. For all parties involved.:lol:

My grandmother always said to rub some bourbon on a baby's gums when he is teething. In my experience, it never helped with the teething but it probably helped with the sleeping through the night part. For all parties involved.:lol:

I did that to my daughter a few months ago (she's 9 mos now). I think she liked the taste, as she proceeded in licking her lips and smacking her gums! Can't say it helped with the teething though.

I find rubbing bourbon on my gums greatly helped with my kids' teething... maybe I misunderstood the question:lol:

Seems like a LOT of parents of little kids are drinkers.....count me as one :grin:

Those cold winter evenings when it gets dark at 5:00pm and the kids are screaming in your face and will be for the next 4 hours....THAT is why bourbon was invented.

Seems like a LOT of parents of little kids are drinkers.....count me as one :grin:

Those cold winter evenings when it gets dark at 5:00pm and the kids are screaming in your face and will be for the next 4 hours....THAT is why bourbon was invented.

Amen, brother. I mean, God love 'em, but there are times when the little shits are going so nuts on me that all I can do to stay alive is count the hours until their bed time and then head straight for the liquor cabinet for a nice tall pour of bourbon. Yes indeed, it definitely soothes the soul and puts the blood pressure back where it belongs. Surely Ben Franklin must have said something wise on the matter.:grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.