Col. E. H. Taylor Jr. Going Forward

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Buffalo Trace has confirmed that they plan to release a batch of E. H. Taylor Barrel Proof annually, in the spring. They also plan to release the E. H. Taylor Single Barrel periodically throughout the year, both on an ongoing basis.

So that's what the line will be going forward and unless it is outrageously successful, the Barrel Proof, at least, should be readily available throughout the year. They'll also continue to do one-offs when the opportunity presents itself.

Bottled in Bond, or no?

Barrel proof can't be bottled-in-bond (which has to be 100 proof). Single barrel can be if it's 100 proof and at least 4-years-old, as it automatically meets the 'singularity' requirements. So apparently BIB is not going to be part of the ongoing brand profile.

Barrel proof can't be bottled-in-bond (which has to be 100 proof).

Ah yes, of course, thank you. Oh well. Maybe it's because I'm already tired today, but it sounds like BT's intentions with the whole CEHT line are amounting to little more than a yawn.

An expensive yawn of variable quality.

Ah yes, of course, thank you. Oh well. Maybe it's because I'm already tired today, but it sounds like BT's intentions with the whole CEHT line are amounting to little more than a yawn.

An expensive yawn of variable quality.

Which is fair, but I assume you feel the same way about Van Winkle?

Which is fair, but I assume you feel the same way about Van Winkle?

Well, Pappy 15 is still relatively well-priced at $60 retail, and a 15yo wheater has a lot less competition in the market than a 7yo ryed bourbon. There's something to be said for knowing in which bottles to find BT's best barrels, if that is indeed the case with CEHT, but what it takes away from ER10 is a shame. I also wonder if/how the CEHT line will affect ER17.

Aged wheaters are rare, so no, I don't feel the same way about Van Winkle.

Chuck, I am not as up on E.H. Taylor as I should be, but this bears no resemblance to the Old Taylor recipe recreation that BT undertook, right?

Chuck, I am not as up on E.H. Taylor as I should be, but this bears no resemblance to the Old Taylor recipe recreation that BT undertook, right?

It is my understanding that the Taylor recreating is still in barrels in warehouse C at BT. I believe there were 4 barrels filled and will be a future limited release that most of us will never get a whiff of. The current EH Taylor's have had 3 releases so far:

Sour mash: that used a historical process to sour mash without using backset from a previous run. It was still a a current BT mashbill, they just let it sit longer to allow for ph stabilization. Qualifier, this is from memory and before my first cup of coffee this morning.

Single barrel (2nd release) and tornado (3rd release) were current BT mashbills and the Tornado was from barrels in warehouse c exposed to elements after tornado hit it.

When I did the hard hat your a couple of weeks ago Fred (mobourbon, tour guide) showed us one of the original Taylor barrels. I don't remember when he said it will be released.

I gather that we may also see a number of the EHT's showing up as private barrel selections in the near future...

With a non specific flavor profile it is the perfect label for unusual or one off barrel proof bottlings. The picture is coming into clearer focus.

With a non specific flavor profile it is the perfect label for unusual or one off barrel proof bottlings. The picture is coming into clearer focus.

Good be BT's way to compete in the cask-strength, unfiltered space w/ out compromising their existing labels. (That and via the Bowman channel.)

Now we have to get WT to play.....

Good be BT's way to compete in the cask-strength, unfiltered space w/ out compromising their existing labels. (That and via the Bowman channel.)

Now we have to get WT to play.....

We are starting see some clutter in the cask strength market.... given the somewhat mixed reviews on the EHT it will be interesting to see how the CS stacks up or if it is just an average whiskey with lots of proof at a high price.....

I asked the questions about EHT barrel proof, and also learned about the projected single barrel releases, because so many people here seemed to be under some illusions about BT moving toward some historic recipe for EHT, which is clearly not what they are doing.

Sour mash was a very small, experimental one-off, as is white corn.

The bulk of EHT going forward will be standard Buffalo Trace rye-recipe bourbon in various pricey expressions.

"Heirloom Taylor" is not in the cards in any meaningful sense.

I asked the questions about EHT barrel proof, and also learned about the projected single barrel releases, because so many people here seemed to be under some illusions about BT moving toward some historic recipe for EHT, which is clearly not what they are doing.

Sour mash was a very small, experimental one-off, as is white corn.

The bulk of EHT going forward will be standard Buffalo Trace rye-recipe bourbon in various pricey expressions.

"Heirloom Taylor" is not in the cards in any meaningful sense.

That's too bad since that's what got many of us excited about it in the first place. Is the white corn edition the one spoken of in this post? http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=179051&postcount=1

That's too bad since that's what got many of us excited about it in the first place. Is the white corn edition the one spoken of in this post? http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=179051&postcount=1

Yep, that's it. Perhaps I misled people by calling it the "new Old Taylor," but at the time we really didn't know the direction EHT was going to take. Now we do.

Here I'll throw at everyone else what people often throw at me. Judge it by the whiskey in the bottle. If you like it and feel it's worth the price, then it's a good thing.

Yep, that's it. Perhaps I misled people by calling it the "new Old Taylor," but at the time we really didn't know the direction EHT was going to take. Now we do.

Yeah, it seems a shame they only did that as a one-off, but distilling is a business and they need juice that can be useful in more than one brand. Presuming they followed through with a low-proof distillation and barreling, the way EHT would have done, and bottle it at 100 proof, this might be one I'd consider bunkering a couple bottles of when it comes out.

I just wish they were able to do fancy things with Rye Mashbill #2, but that seems reserved for Age International labels. I think the fanciest thing that AA did was Barrel 107, which as I recall didn't sell at nearly the retail price that BT would probably put on it themselves, today.

Here I'll throw at everyone else what people often throw at me. Judge it by the whiskey in the bottle. If you like it and feel it's worth the price, then it's a good thing.

Thanks for the info Chuck. I don't think you misled anyone by letting us know BT was experimenting with the old recipe. Many just assumed that was the begining of something great. So, they made only four barrels. What if those turn out spectacular? I'm a big fan of several BT brands, but I'm not paying $70+ for something that falls in between regular Buffalo Trace, and Stagg.

• 1 month later...

Well, now that the barrel strength is out there are there any thoughts? It just hit in ATL and I haven't tried it yet.

Well, now that the barrel strength is out there are there any thoughts? It just hit in ATL and I haven't tried it yet.

I think it is the best expression of the four.

Joe

I think it is the best expression of the four.

Joe

From what I've heard from those who have tasted it, it is indeed the best of the four. Unanimously.

I'm not sure I would say the best.... but it's up there with the Tornado.

Definitely a purchase.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.