Col. E. H. Taylor Jr. Going Forward

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed up on this one so many times but if it's as good or better than the Tornado, which I love, then I may have to check it out.

From what I've heard from those who have tasted it, it is indeed the best of the four. Unanimously.

Smokinjoe? Just admit you are a mouthpiece for buffalo trace! :hot: I'm not gonna sugar coat it any longer.:smiley_acbt::smiley_acbt:

How much do they pay you?:bigeyes::bigeyes:

And why doesn't chuck ask these questions? How much is HE being paid?:banghead:

If julian was involved... Where is he to respond? His silence is deafening! Has BT disclosed which recipie, equiptment or even which distiller assistant was involved in the making of this bourbon? If you want answers to these questions and more. Join jimmy and I at straightsweetteavodka.com

Tom cruise and I will be waiting....

Edited by Restaurant man

Smokinjoe? Just admit you are a mouthpiece for buffalo trace! :hot: I'm not gonna sugar coat it any longer.:smiley_acbt::smiley_acbt:

How much do they pay you?:bigeyes::bigeyes:

And why doesn't chuck ask these questions? How much is HE being paid?:banghead:

If julian was involved... Where is he to respond? His silence is deafening! Has BT disclosed which recipie, equiptment or even which distiller assistant was involved in the making of this bourbon? If you want answers to these questions and more. Join jimmy and I at straightsweetteavodka.com

Tom cruise and I will be waiting....

I think Smokinjoe hacked Restaurant man's SB account!! Chuck and Julian are deleting their accounts as we speak ;)

I tried the barrel proof tonight and thought it was worth the price. Haven't bumped it against a Stagg yet, but I think it would be close (and being more readily available has to count for something).

• 1 month later...

I just saw the straight Rye, it was BIB on the shelf. Passed on it, but I may swing out to get one, is this Handy plus water?

I also have seen that it will be an annual release, I guess like the Barrel Proof and Single Barrel.

I asked the questions about EHT barrel proof, and also learned about the projected single barrel releases, because so many people here seemed to be under some illusions about BT moving toward some historic recipe for EHT, which is clearly not what they are doing.

Sour mash was a very small, experimental one-off, as is white corn.

The bulk of EHT going forward will be standard Buffalo Trace rye-recipe bourbon in various pricey expressions.

"Heirloom Taylor" is not in the cards in any meaningful sense.

So, by this definition, the Barrel Strength release is unfiltered, high proof Buffalo Trace. So it's aged somewhere between 6 and 9 years? Also it isnt single barreled, so it's a mix of various barrels. I suppose since it's a limited release it could be made in small batches.

So, by this definition, the Barrel Strength release is unfiltered, high proof Buffalo Trace. So it's aged somewhere between 6 and 9 years? Also it isnt single barreled, so it's a mix of various barrels. I suppose since it's a limited release it could be made in small batches.

I think that's right. I enjoyed the Barrel Proof bottle, but when I compared it to a Stagg it lost out hands down (while being priced about the same). I'd love to see this priced a little lower, although it seems to be more widely available (meaning - I've seen it on the shelves for a period of weeks/months, where I've never seen a Stagg sitting on a shelf!) With less aging, makes sense that they could make more of it - although not sure I'll buy another bottle at the current price.

I've got a bottle of the Barrel Proof on order. I know that the price point, as is for many others, is a point of contention. Although I liked the Tornado, I found that the $66 was about $10-20 more than I would have like to pay.

Who's up for doing some comparative tasting?

I've got 6 other higher proof bourbons open right now, and I'm curious to see how they stack up against each other:

2011 GTS (142.6)

2010 WLW (126.6)

2009 FR Mariage (109.6)

2012 FR Single Barrel LE (110.6)

2010 PHC Wheated (124.2)

2011 PVW 15 (107)

These are all in the same price bracket, and I would consider all of them a good bang for the buck. The obvious flaw in this comparison is that none of these can be found easily, but if they want to price it with the big boys it should be able to stack up, right?

I've got a bottle of the Barrel Proof on order. I know that the price point, as is for many others, is a point of contention. Although I liked the Tornado, I found that the $66 was about $10-20 more than I would have like to pay.

Who's up for doing some comparative tasting?

I've got 6 other higher proof bourbons open right now, and I'm curious to see how they stack up against each other:

2011 GTS (142.6)

2010 WLW (126.6)

2009 FR Mariage (109.6)

2012 FR Single Barrel LE (110.6)

2010 PHC Wheated (124.2)

2011 PVW 15 (107)

These are all in the same price bracket, and I would consider all of them a good bang for the buck. The obvious flaw in this comparison is that none of these can be found easily, but if they want to price it with the big boys it should be able to stack up, right?

Honestly, I place the PVW in a class unto itself. For my tastes nothing compares to it. I would also eliminate the marriage as it is a mixture of vastly different ages and recipies. After tbat I would say you have a fantastic line up. I also have GTS, WLW, and 4RSBLE 2011 open. I also have a Willett 7yr SB at 116 as well. I debate about adding Handy because it's a rye and not bourbon. For myself...the race is over before it begins. GTS would win ;). What I have not tried is testing these bourbons against one another watered down to 100 proof. That would be cool.

The EHT Rye is a mash bill not found in any other Sazerac rye. It's that rare Sazerac product that is not something else in a different bottle.

Honestly, I place the PVW in a class unto itself. For my tastes nothing compares to it. I would also eliminate the marriage as it is a mixture of vastly different ages and recipies. After tbat I would say you have a fantastic line up. I also have GTS, WLW, and 4RSBLE 2011 open. I also have a Willett 7yr SB at 116 as well. I debate about adding Handy because it's a rye and not bourbon. For myself...the race is over before it begins. GTS would win ;). What I have not tried is testing these bourbons against one another watered down to 100 proof. That would be cool.

I forgot to mention that I was planning on tasting these all at roughly the same proof.

I also forgot to mention that I am planning on pitting these against Taylor one at a time over several days. I don't think my taste buds would last very long after sipping 7 different high proof bourbons.

It more of an exercise to determine worth. I consider $70 per bottle to be the low end of high end, but if the juice doesn't stack up against similarly priced bottles then I will adjust my personal buying habits.

Perhaps the exercise would be more valuable if I limited the taste to rye recipe BT bourbons? Regular Buffalo Trace vs. Taylor Barrel Proof vs. Stagg?

The EHT Rye is a mash bill not found in any other Sazerac rye. It's that rare Sazerac product that is not something else in a different bottle.

Thanks Chuck, I will likely now have to go pick it up. Am I correct that it will be a regular product release and not a one off? I think I saw that on the BT release.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Chuck, I will likely now have to go pick it up. Am I correct that it will be a regular product release and not a one off? I think I saw that on the BT release.

I don't remember and can't at the moment find the release. Sorry.

"The Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Straight Rye Whiskey will be available in late August and will be released annually each year."

http://www.buffalotracemediakit.com/pdf/Buffalo%20Trace%20Distillery%20Releases%20Colonel%20E.H.%20Taylor,%20Jr.%20Rye%20Recipe%20Whiskey.pdf

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.