What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Thank you Rich and Houston. My 3 biggest passions are BBQ, Bourbon, and cigars. Lucky for me all three play well together. 

• I like it 3

On 11/20/2019 at 1:10 PM, Chefjohn said:

Thank you Rich and Houston. My 3 biggest passions are BBQ, Bourbon, and cigars. Lucky for me all three play well together. 

First two hold true for me as well. Used to love cigars but that tapered off about 5-6 years ago.   Still have a dead mans sized coolerdor packed to the brim with aging Cubans that are either going to make me or someone else very very happy down the road. 

3 hours ago, Chefjohn said:

This is my wineador. It’s considerably fuller now.  Ive gotten really good at Cigar bow Tetris. 

C6838-A4-E-B7-B7-451-D-8454-A165-E65-DAC

Love this! I'm assuming you made your own cedar shelves? What do you use to control the humidity?

(sorry for the thread drift)

Edited by Vosgar

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Love this! I'm assuming you made your own cedar shelves? What do you use to control the humidity?

(sorry for the thread drift)

No I didn’t make the shelves, they came with the unit. For humidity I use Heartfelt 65% Humidity Tubes. 

• I like it 1

First two hold true for me as well. Used to love cigars but that tapered off about 5-6 years ago.   Still have a dead mans sized coolerdor packed to the brim with aging Cubans that are either going to make me or someone else very very happy down the road. 

Uh..., how far are you from Houston? I’ll bring the W12 or whatever you want you bring some of them Cubanos.
  • I like it 1

This is my wineador. It’s considerably fuller now.  Ive gotten really good at Cigar bow Tetris. 

C6838-A4-E-B7-B7-451-D-8454-A165-E65-DACC8.jpg

Pictures like this make me excited, like seeing a, “big eyed girl”, but not big eyes.

20 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Uh..., how far are you from Houston? I’ll bring the W12 or whatever you want you bring some of them Cubanos.

Quite a ways, but if/when the opportunity ever presents itself I wholeheartedly accept!  We can add some big ol steaks to the mix as well right?  

I have to do my semi annual inventory to re-moisten the humidification beads and check each box individually so I will snap a picture or two.  It will be a very large eyed girl for you to dream about!  

On 11/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, Chefjohn said:

C6838-A4-E-B7-B7-451-D-8454-A165-E65-DAC

Very nice.  Yes Cigar box tetris is a necessary skill.  I finally got the perfect box alignment in my footlocker and after that I just kept the same box alignment and would just split up the new boxes to fit within the existing setup.  

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Very nice.  Yes Cigar box tetris is a necessary skill.  I finally got the perfect box alignment in my footlocker and after that I just kept the same box alignment and would just split up the new boxes to fit within the existing setup.  

I had no idea shuffling the boxes to get them all to "fit" in my igloodor had a name.  Alas, it is now empty, and the cedar boxes are gone going on ten years.  I still have the igloodor just in case, and it still smells like Licenciados Presidentes.

On thread - Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center has been cleaned and covered for the season.?  I still have a 14" Weber kettle for when my wife is out of the house for several hours and I need a burger or a dog or three.:D

The benefits of a Thanksgiving in Texas the grill never gets put away. Well maybe on the summer days where it feels like your getting roasted while trying to roast your Turkey.

Anyone smoking, deep frying a Turkey while enjoying Turkey in a bottle?

IMG_8476.thumb.jpg.704b5462796220841a85da7d0230ad1b.jpg

IMG_8471.thumb.jpg.211607bc0fb62a81eac71066a1464f7e.jpg

• I like it 1

I wasnt drinking any bourbon while I was smoking the bird, as we ate around 1. It turned out really good. I should've left it in the brine a little longer than the 11 hours. Fortunately I'm smoking another saturday, so I'm getting ready to put it in the brine tonight. I'll take it out tomorrow afternoon and let the skin dry out. 

20191128_112716.jpg

20191128_123008.jpg

Did the obligatory smoked turkey yesterday, but tomorrow we're doing a second Thanksgiving with friends, and I've got some ground venison.  I'm going to try making some smoked venison meatballs just for kicks. 

• I like it 2

On 11/28/2019 at 3:20 PM, HoustonNit said:

The benefits of a Thanksgiving in Texas the grill never gets put away. Well maybe on the summer days where it feels like your getting roasted while trying to roast your Turkey.

Anyone smoking, deep frying a Turkey while enjoying Turkey in a bottle?

IMG_8476.thumb.jpg.704b5462796220841a85da7d0230ad1b.jpg

IMG_8471.thumb.jpg.211607bc0fb62a81eac71066a1464f7e.jpg

This looks great. Think I am going to smoke a few turkeys sometime between now and Christmas. Kinda forgot that was an option for Thanksgiving. 

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

This looks great. Think I am going to smoke a few turkeys sometime between now and Christmas. Kinda forgot that was an option for Thanksgiving. 

It makes turkey so much better.

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Pastrami! The process started around November 15 for consumption today. Came out fantastic! 

That looks phenomenal. What was the process?

Pastrami! The process started around November 15 for consumption today. Came out fantastic! 
51220668-A0B0-4F54-B532-924CF4BBB4E6.thumb.jpeg.cb4305286137feb2441ed6494eb563ef.jpeg

Really nice I’m a huge pastrami guy. Now you just need to bake your own rye.
  • I like it 1

I smoked a pork belly today. I had never done one before and it turned out great. 

E644B122-FB21-4213-A246-5EC3FDE2CECE.jpeg

F4E55712-91B3-41D3-B98D-FC7FF325BA39.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 11/30/2019 at 5:53 PM, dcbt said:

That looks phenomenal. What was the process?

Well I pony up and buy the brisket trimmed so no work there. I follow the Amazing Ribs recipe for Katz's pastrami and draw it out to its max time.   Its about 2 weeks total time to cure/desalinate.  Rinse, pat dry and then rubbed with a pastrami rub. (Sat Nov 23)  After that I have them rest for 2-3 days uncovered on a wire rack in the fridge to allow the rub to "set."  Wed (Nov 27) I Smoked to an IT of 150-160 then moved to a steamer and steamed up to an IT of 203 degrees.  Cooled and then back in fridge wrapped in foil until serving on Saturday.  Heated slightly by putting under a broiler for 5 min or so per side to firm up the bark and also to warm the meat a bit.  Removed, sliced, feasted. 

As I said, it is quite the process, but probably the best thing I make in the smoker.  Really good results and the end product gets consumed SUPER FAST!  May start a new batch this weekend for Christmas/New Years.  I also want to do a couple smoked turkeys in the near future so we will see.

Just put tom thick cut pork chops on the smoker.  I will do these as I do steaks.  I will get them to an internal temp of 160 an d then reverse sear them on my gas grill.  Having one of my favorite Sam Adam seasonal.  I do wish they would bring back the old label as I thought it was much festive.tastes like christmas..

F300EA99-0ECD-4DAD-AD1C-0BB5FD5AD0CD.jpeg

Pork chops turned.out great very moist and the rub I used really brought some flavor to them. I really like the flavor that the reverse sear brings to a cut piece of meat. alas, the Saints lost. 

3 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Pork chops turned.out great very moist and the rub I used really brought some flavor to them. I really like the flavor that the reverse sear brings to a cut piece of meat. alas, the Saints lost. 

Helluva game, though!   Neither defense could make those offenses behave, eh?   Nearly a hundred points scored!   Jeeeez.  Great fun to watch!