What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Harry, I've wanted to do a tri-tip for a few years, but I don't find it around here very often, and when I do, it seems too expensive (isn't it supposed to be a fairly inexpensive cut?). Yours looks awesome!

2 hours ago, flahute said:

How do you two find your plates when they don't have food on them?

The plates are glossier than the counter.  When the counter is wet, though, all bets are off.:D

2 hours ago, ratcheer said:

Harry, I've wanted to do a tri-tip for a few years, but I don't find it around here very often, and when I do, it seems too expensive (isn't it supposed to be a fairly inexpensive cut?). Yours looks awesome!

THX.  One side is a little overdone for us, but that's because a neighbor across the street who had just gotten a food delivery smelled it and started asking me questions about the smell and I asked him about his delivery experience.

This one was about $7 a pound for 2.5 or so pounds and was in the bin with "roasts" instead of with the steaks.  We'll get at least three meals for two out of it - last night's, a lunch with hot sandwiches, and a breakfast hash next Sunday.  We don't see it all that often and then it is more likely at $10/lb. or more, so this was a treat. 

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Finally nice weather. Grilled a whole salmon filet. Came out perfect this time!

Nice Bob.  I’m sure your salmon smelled much, much better than the leaves, branches and debris my neighbors two doors down burned in his backyard this afternoon. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Reverse seared NY Strip. It was so dang good. My beef rub is equal parts salt and pepper with some garlic powder and coffee grounds.

The little fella got to break in his Egg Head shirt. I think I have the Misses talked into getting him a mini max Egg for his 1sr birthday. I have another 9 months to convince her it's absolutely necessary. 

20200426_172019.jpg

20200426_090618.jpg

• I like it 4

17 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Reverse seared NY Strip. It was so dang good. My beef rub is equal parts salt and pepper with some garlic powder and coffee grounds.

The little fella got to break in his Egg Head shirt. I think I have the Misses talked into getting him a mini max Egg for his 1sr birthday. I have another 9 months to convince her it's absolutely necessary. 

You'll have Little Whammie being a grill-meister by the age of 3!

• I like it 2

At least 30 more days of quarantine. 20 lbs of fresh pork belly should make enough bacon to last right? Amazing Ribs recipe, will cure for 3-5 days then smoke at end of the week. It’s a lot, but will go very fast once the extended family sees pictures they will come by for a curbside pickup!

03C10D48-F55B-4BF0-9FD4-220A8628CC21.jpeg

2A11F38E-684D-434A-ACD7-A16E3521B9BE.jpeg

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

03C10D48-F55B-4BF0-9FD4-220A8628CC21.jpeg

Love that knife!  That slab of meat doesn't stand a chance!

• I like it 1

Busy weekend with great weather. Friday-Sat cured two salmon fillets. Smoked on Sat and they turned out fantastic. One of my best batches. 

Bacon also a huge success. Came out of cure Sat and rested on racks in fridge until Sunday when it was smoked to 150. I cubed the ends and made hash for breakfast. Ohhh baby, I love how quickly and cleanly the fat renders out of the homemade bacon. I can’t wait to actually fry a few slices up for burgers this afternoon. 

360CAC77-415E-47C0-B0B3-78E79F8532EA.jpeg

F57E0528-692E-4CF7-AD03-A489E2808D3F.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 4/28/2020 at 9:26 AM, scratchline said:

Love that knife!  That slab of meat doesn't stand a chance!

I love it as well and keep the edge very sharp.  

Alright alright alright. From here on out everything in the smoker will be smoked with Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Oak! Not sure it will make a difference overall, but the wood does smell bourbony and fantastic and makes a good story. Plus it’s a free 100 or so lbs of nice solid oak chunks! 

Barrel head with our signatures will eventually be cleaned up (sanded, lacquer etc) to hang on a wall. 

ECCF5A3A-EA3E-4C4B-A57B-02B07561DF2A.jpeg

5528D82C-900F-4394-B510-DD48E30FB91D.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
No idea why pics rotated when uploaded. . .

13 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Alright alright alright. From here on out everything in the smoker will be smoked with Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Oak! Not sure it will make a difference overall, but the wood does smell bourbony and fantastic and makes a good story. Plus it’s a free 100 or so lbs of nice solid oak chunks! 

Barrel head with our signatures will eventually be cleaned up (sanded, lacquer etc) to hang on a wall. 

Nice Bob.

While I don't have a smoker, I have used BT barrel char when cooking burgers & steaks on the grill. Using barrel char, you just fold aluminum foil into a small container, add the char and set it on the rack. Worked pretty well. IIRC, Barton sell bags of barrel char in their gift shop. The BT barrel char I got at the BT tent during the KBF.

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Nice Bob.

While I don't have a smoker, I have used BT barrel char when cooking burgers & steaks on the grill. Using barrel char, you just fold aluminum foil into a small container, add the char and set it on the rack. Worked pretty well. IIRC, Barton sell bags of barrel char in their gift shop. The BT barrel char I got at the BT tent during the KBF.

Biba! Joe

Now that is a fantastic pro-tip!  I did not even think of keeping the barrel char.   It all just spilled out and then got mixed with a ton of sawdust from cutting the staves.  There was probably a good 2-3 cups worth in the bottom of good sized char pieces.  Will absolutely reserve them next time.  

35 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Now that is a fantastic pro-tip!  I did not even think of keeping the barrel char.   It all just spilled out and then got mixed with a ton of sawdust from cutting the staves.  There was probably a good 2-3 cups worth in the bottom of good sized char pieces.  Will absolutely reserve them next time.  

Doggonit!!  I’m sure it just kills you to realize to have a next time you’ll have to pick another barrel!! ?.   I guess you’ll have to buck up and go get another...  ?

• I like it 1

On 3/28/2020 at 8:37 PM, StarSurfer55 said:

Harry,

I use a long knife to make a hole in the pork loin for the sausage to that I don’t have to use chefs twine to tie it up.  I use a basic baste that is half apple jelly and half apple cider vinegar which is thin enough that it forms a glaze during the cook without burning.  I usually weave a mat out of bacon and wrap the loin but there was no bacon to be had in my local grocery store on the one day I was out shopping.  THis is a really easy recipe and usually turns out good.  Sometime I make two up an freeze one to oook at a later date.  The andouille adds a lot of flavor and moisture.  Pork loins, as you are aware, can be very dry so I try to keep it as moist as possible.  I would highly recommend Cajungrocer.com if you want Cajun speciality items (Including king cakes!).   They will even ship live crawfish to you except hat we cannot get them in Michigan as the DNR has them listed as an Invasive species.  (Like I am going to let my live crasfish escape!)

OK, this looks so good, I’m going to do one this weekend.  ?.  I have a couple of questions for ya.  What internal temp do you aim for?  And, when you make the hole, it’s an actual hole?  Do you do anything with the meat you remove?  If it’s a hole, do you make it the same diameter as the sausage?  Or, narrower?  Or, wider?

Thanks in advance for your advice, and I’m really looking forward to trying this!

Now, there's this. Chorizo burgers - 2/3 ground chuck, 1/3 chorizo sausage. Simple, but wonderful!

IMG-0658.JPG

• I like it 3

So, I have been super intrigued by SS55's stuffed pork loin. And my bride has been hounding me for pork chops. I told her I have a surprise for next weekend. Just completed an order of sausages from Cajun Grocer. I can't wait.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

OK, this looks so good, I’m going to do one this weekend.  ?.  I have a couple of questions for ya.  What internal temp do you aim for?  And, when you make the hole, it’s an actual hole?  Do you do anything with the meat you remove?  If it’s a hole, do you make it the same diameter as the sausage?  Or, narrower?  Or, wider?

Thanks in advance for your advice, and I’m really looking forward to trying this!

Hey Joe,  

i just use a long knife to make a slit down the center of the loin.  THis should create a long pocket for the sausage.  It it is a long loin then I sometimes use two sausages with not cut in half so that the pocket is filled.  You are seekin an internal temp sufficiently high that the sausage provides some moisture fo r the inside of the loin.  Usually, I’m trying to get an internal temp of at least 180.  If you don’t like the seasoning in andouille you can use a smoked sausage or kielbasa. It is a different flavor profile but it works.  The key is to wrap it in bacon and use the baste recipe.  By the time you get done, you should have a glazed on the loin that looks great but is not burned.

Put the loin in the fridge when you done and thin slice it. Makes great sandwiches.

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

So, I have been super intrigued by SS55's stuffed pork loin. And my bride has been hounding me for pork chops. I told her I have a surprise for next weekend. Just completed an order of sausages from Cajun Grocer. I can't wait.

Phil,

Gllad to hear that you tried out Cajun grocer.  The mini crawfish pies that they sell are great appetizers as are the gator nuggets.  I bought a five pound package of the gator nuggets for a get together one summer and the were gone as fas t as I could fry them. Did you get the Savoie’s andouille or something else.  You should also try the boudin.   Traditionally boudin blanc was made with rice and pork liver.  However, there are some that dial back the liver and use mostly pork.  I prefer those but I don’ t recall the brand.  

I wanted to buy the Savoie's, but it was sold out. I ended up buying four different sausages and some stuffed chicken breasts. Years ago, we ate quite a few stuffed chickens from Hebert's, so I thought i would give the breasts a try.

9 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Hey Joe,  

i just use a long knife to make a slit down the center of the loin.  THis should create a long pocket for the sausage.  It it is a long loin then I sometimes use two sausages with not cut in half so that the pocket is filled.  You are seekin an internal temp sufficiently high that the sausage provides some moisture fo r the inside of the loin.  Usually, I’m trying to get an internal temp of at least 180.  If you don’t like the seasoning in andouille you can use a smoked sausage or kielbasa. It is a different flavor profile but it works.  The key is to wrap it in bacon and use the baste recipe.  By the time you get done, you should have a glazed on the loin that looks great but is not burned.

Put the loin in the fridge when you done and thin slice it. Makes great sandwiches.

Thanks!  That’s just what I needed. Will be doing Sat or Sun.  Funny that you mentioned Kielbasa as a sub, as that is what I’m going with on the first one.  I bought a huge tenderloin at Costco, and going to split them up.  Will try Andouille on the other half.  BTW, first jar of apple jelly I’ve had in probably 50 years...  ?. Thanks again!

Late with this one. Mothers Day cookout last Sunday. Steaks, burgers, bourbon baked beans and home made potato salad were on the menu. :P

Biba! Joe

11 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Thanks!  That’s just what I needed. Will be doing Sat or Sun.  Funny that you mentioned Kielbasa as a sub, as that is what I’m going with on the first one.  I bought a huge tenderloin at Costco, and going to split them up.  Will try Andouille on the other half.  BTW, first jar of apple jelly I’ve had in probably 50 years...  ?. Thanks again!

Thanks, I hope yo enjoy it.  I have another couple of items for  you to try.  St. Andre' s brie. If you have a cheesemonger then I highly recommend this one.  keep your portion small as this is 75% butterfat brie.  I is luscious and rich.  I highly recommend it.  Also, For a special occasion, get some really good raison bread, some brie or Camembert cheese and make a grilled cheese sandwich. Pair with some smokey bacon and fruit and you have a quick and easy Sunday brunch.  This our goto for when we have guests. Another option is the Tennessee Benedict.  Make french toast using texas toast bread.  Cover with pulled pork and the a fried egg.  Drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy.  I would pair with a either a French 75 or  a Seelbach cocktail rather than the traditional mimosa or bloody mary.  If you try these,  let me know how  you like it.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Thanks, I hope yo enjoy it.  I have another couple of items for  you to try.  St. Andre' s brie. If you have a cheesemonger then I highly recommend this one.  keep your portion small as this is 75% butterfat brie.  I is luscious and rich.  I highly recommend it.  Also, For a special occasion, get some really good raison bread, some brie or Camembert cheese and make a grilled cheese sandwich. Pair with some smokey bacon and fruit and you have a quick and easy Sunday brunch.  This our goto for when we have guests. Another option is the Tennessee Benedict.  Make french toast using texas toast bread.  Cover with pulled pork and the a fried egg.  Drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy.  I would pair with a either a French 75 or  a Seelbach cocktail rather than the traditional mimosa or bloody mary.  If you try these,  let me know how  you like it.

All of this sounds amazing.